Backing Nags

Started by Bud Wiser, April 07, 2007, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Has anyone any idea how to get around this problem?  If one of us has a cert posting it here seems to be a problem and last week a nag tumbled from 16/1 down to 6/1.  An eejit down the road went around all the pubs telling everyone like he owned the horse, not that I am sorry for the bookies or anything but it kinda slashed the odds.

Posting at the last hour is no use either because the odds can be slashed on the course. Hiding a tip in an unassociated thread means punters like O'Neill with loads of money might not get to see it unless he is interested in that particular thread.

Is it acceptable to mail tips to those who backed last weeks nag or is this seen as spam?

Is anyone from the DB going to the Punchestown Festival?

Square Ball

E-mail would be the way to go Bud, do think it would be seen as spam if it was sent to say 10-15 people at a time, I am in a distribution list of 50 for my club and all these are let in by my provider.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Goats Do Shave

Have ye got another tip Bud??  :o

Bogball XV

tbh bud, (i forgot all about last weeks tip btw - heard the result on the radio and silently swore repeatedly to myself)
I don't think that the post on here are what makes the price move, as you no doubt know - there's a pile more money going on those horses than will ever be coming from the likes of us small punters - additionally, many people (if they've any sense) pay little or no heed to tips, because as you know if search long enough, every horse in a race will be tipped somewhere, so if somebody comes along and tells me "yer man on the gaa board reckons x will win today at 20/1", I'll say "right, how does he know, has he a record of giving decent tips.....", basically, unless I'll have a look at the horse too and if you've got a decent track record (as you undoubtedly have now), i'll think about it.
So what's this tip today??

Hardy

It's not spam if you opt in. And Bud, if you're going to email me another Controvento, I DEFINITELY OPT IN!

Hardyarse at hotmail dot com.

PM would be easier.

Anyway Bud, get on yourself first and let the rest of us take our chances. 6/1 is a good alternative to nothing, even if it could have been 16/1.

Smokin Joe

Bud,
I don't think the fact the horse was put up here caused the price to shorten so much.  I wouldn't think this board would have the critical mass of punter here to move the price like that.

As Hardy says, you place your bet (get your price) and stick it up here.  If it shortens then, so what.  The rest of us will be thankful for a winner no matter what the price is.

Bud Wiser

Ther's one going today at Kempton, 3.20 and it is worth a small each way bet.  By that I mean it is not as sure a thing as the last one.  Have a small flutter, say a few pound each way on "All The Good" and hopefully Mike Channon and the English will have a long face at the end of the race.  It is not in the betting so should be around 12/1 as it is 12/1 the rest at the moment.  Go easy on it.

Square Ball

cheers Bud

I will have a few quid each way.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Not a horse tip but i thought i just tell ye about the accumulator  i put on for the weekend a 10euro bet will return around 130euro with paddypower

Laois to beat Kildare
Liverpool to beat Reading
Dublin to beat Kerry
Sunderland to beat Wolves

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Uladh

Didn't get last weeks bud but took piece of this one.

while you're on it LL... why are the dubs so overwhelming favourites to beat kerry this sunday, even with the bookies?

The Gs Man

Go on ALL THE GOOD!!!!  And they're off....
Keep 'er lit

Hardy

No luck in running. Reared up at the start and found himself well back in the field, and then was taken wide on the first turn. Eventually settled and came strongly in the last two furlongs, but had to negotiate a lot of horses going backwards. Finished about fifth, five or six lengths back, gaining all the time.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Uladh on April 07, 2007, 02:58:33 PM

Didn't get last weeks bud but took piece of this one.

while you're on it LL... why are the dubs so overwhelming favourites to beat kerry this sunday, even with the bookies

Not sure Uladh maybe because the Jackeens are at home?
Anyway for anyone who took the bet
Liverpool won
Sunderland won
so two down two to go :-X
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Quote from: Bud Wiser on April 07, 2007, 09:10:28 AM
Has anyone any idea how to get around this problem?  If one of us has a cert posting it here seems to be a problem and last week a nag tumbled from 16/1 down to 6/1.  An eejit down the road went around all the pubs telling everyone like he owned the horse, not that I am sorry for the bookies or anything but it kinda slashed the odds.

Posting at the last hour is no use either because the odds can be slashed on the course. Hiding a tip in an unassociated thread means punters like O'Neill with loads of money might not get to see it unless he is interested in that particular thread.

Is it acceptable to mail tips to those who backed last weeks nag or is this seen as spam?

Is anyone from the DB going to the Punchestown Festival?

No, you're right. Hide it in an associated thread. All we have to do is look at your recent posts now and again, And we'd all feel like Annica Rice. Or the Crystal Maze.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bud Wiser

He said he got blocked in !  Anyway, I didn't have that much faith in the nag so I hope a lot of money wasn't lost.

Manilou was supposed to do a trot out today in Fairyhouse (4.30) but refuses to come out of his stable claiming he has a boil on his foot.  He will be going directly into his first outing at Punchestown Festival so I don't know what is happening.