Top 10 Forwards since 1977 - Survey Results

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 22, 2017, 10:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomusername

Quote from: Syferus on April 23, 2017, 10:24:26 AM
Quote from: redhandefender on April 23, 2017, 10:14:06 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 22, 2017, 11:57:26 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 22, 2017, 11:44:52 AM
Bernard Brogan? Really? Run this poll in 10 years and Brogan wouldn't even be mentioned, never mind make the top 25. Connolly either.

Canavan topping the poll by a large margin is the really mad thing. Provincial bias at its finest imho.

Brogan made it onto a lot of lists near the end and only 3% separates him from the next 13 players, while Canavan has a greater margin than that over Fitzgerald and Gooch, both nearly universally regarded as the best forwards of their respective generations.

Its hard to make yourself consistently look like a clown on this thing but you do manage it.

Do you not look at the votes and recognition canavan gets in all quarters and just think to yourself if you don't genuinely think he should be there and think i really do not have a clue. because thats what everyone else thinks!

Canavan played in a time without a dozen cameras watching you and got battered every game from the age of 18 of course he stepped over the lines at times.

Pity roscommon didnt have a bit more backbone or they might be relevant now

You seem a bit upset. Nasty stuff.

I ranked Canavan the fourth best forward I've ever seen ffs.

It's just very obvious that the two Kerry lads were something special, and for me Michael Donnellan's once in a generation gifts - bringing Galway to two AI titles and three finals, the same as Canavan did but in a far more condensed time-frame - puts him above the Tyrone man too.

And whatever way you cut it, Fitzgerald and Cooper are generally the two mentioned when talking about the greatest forwards in the last 20-30 years. This forum by its make-up has an Ulster bias so pointing out that is entirely fair game when it comes to judging these results.

Canavan's mentioned just as much. In recent weeks for example, there have been Canavan v the Gooch articles on balls.ie and joe.ie (not the best websites, granted), Breheny listed him as the second best forward ever and Brolly's been going on about him as well. In a list of the top 125 footballers of all-time in the Indo a while back he was second behind Mikey Sheehy I think. If anything it's Maurice Fitz who doesn't get enough name recognition.

seafoid

Cam the results be presented in 2 groups namely by Ulster voters and otherwise?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 23, 2017, 11:07:34 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 23, 2017, 10:27:33 AM
There seems to be a rather one-sided picture of Canavan being painted by some folk. He did receive some awful treatment on the pitch at times, but Canavan was guilty of some cowardly and disgraceful acts himself. Diving, feigning injury, hitting out at people, cynical fouling etc.

This side detracts from how I view him overall. Great footballer but some inexcusable behaviour on the pitch.

OK but ask this about any forward you may choose:

1. Was he a consistent scorer in big games?

2. Did he pose a scoring threat against every team across the country and over a period of time?

3. Was he a match winner on a regular basis and when it really mattered, i.e. could he turn a game around?

4. Did he make his team mates play better than they were as individuals?

Jimmy Keaveney ticked all those boxes.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

ONeill

Canavan names his top non-Tyrone 15 - https://youtu.be/m4Zh0CE-lzA

His forwards were: McCartan - Fallon - Fitz - Linden - Joyce - Gooch (subs Bradley - Galvin - McCabe)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Owen Brannigan

Throw ball

The best forwards I saw play outside my own county were Maurice Fitzgerald,  Frank McGuigan and Michael  Donnellan.
Although not the best in terms of ability the best forward I ever watched was from my own county - Oisin McConville. I lost count of the times I saw him get vital scores in games to carry Armagh and Crossmaglen to victory. Hopefully his nephews will carry that trait on with Armagh in the next few years. And not be so good for Cross!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 23, 2017, 11:03:58 AM
Bernard Brogan? Really? Run this poll in 10 years and Brogan wouldn't even be mentioned, never mind make the top 25. Connolly either.

I would agree with your opinion on Brogan - Charlie Redmond or Dessie Farrell in their day were as good as Brogan, and I don't think they were even mentioned in this poll/thread.

Bernard Brogan at his peak was at different level to the likes Hill 16 favorites Redmond and Farrell. A truly top forward for me is one that looks like he is totally marked out of the game but is still is able to produce or create a match winning score and that was Brogan at his best.

StGallsGAA

There seems to be a rather one-sided picture of Canavan being painted by some folk. He did receive some awful treatment on the pitch at times, but Canavan was guilty of some cowardly and disgraceful acts himself. Diving, feigning injury, hitting out at people, cynical fouling etc.

This side detracts from how I view him overall. Great footballer but some inexcusable behaviour on the pitch.

Tony Fearon can't help himself again posting as Stallion.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 23, 2017, 06:28:07 PM

I would agree with your opinion on Brogan - Charlie Redmond or Dessie Farrell in their day were as good as Brogan, and I don't think they were even mentioned in this poll/thread.

Bernard Brogan at his peak was at different level to the likes Hill 16 favorites Redmond and Farrell. A truly top forward for me is one that looks like he is totally marked out of the game but is still is able to produce or create a match winning score and that was Brogan at his best.

Brogan is a great finisher, and relies on supply and his supporting players. Farrell and Redmond had to do a lot more work with a lesser team around them to get their scores, that is why I think they were as good as him. Put Brogan on the current Down/Meath/Armagh team and how do you think he would fare?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

imtommygunn

Very well. On his day superb player and even when he had off days he could either make or take vital scores. He has been on dublin teams which weren't fantastic.

Jinxy

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 23, 2017, 09:13:03 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 23, 2017, 06:28:07 PM

Brogan is a great finisher, and relies on supply and his supporting players. Farrell and Redmond had to do a lot more work with a lesser team around them to get their scores, that is why I think they were as good as him. Put Brogan on the current Down/Meath/Armagh team and how do you think he would fare?

As opposed to which other top-class corner forward?
Ever.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 23, 2017, 09:22:25 PM
Very well. On his day superb player and even when he had off days he could either make or take vital scores. He has been on dublin teams which weren't fantastic.
A key point. Some seem to forget Dublin reached their first All Ireland final in 2011 for 16 years.

redhandefender

Lol says the bitter Londonderry man! 5 weeks and counting!

Taylor

It is clear to see why Canavan was voted number 1.

No doubting he had a side to him which attracted even more attention from 'markers' - like what went before and after the shower incident - but he did carry Tyrone for years and then played an integral part when the golden generation came.

We dont call him PTG for nothing

rosnarun

Larry Tompkins probably  the man hardest done by in this poll, but has a few natural disadvantages
the age profile of voters
75% of poster are not from Munster

the other thing is every Criticism of D Connolly  could also be made of canavan
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere