Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I think this whole thing will work out in the North's favour. I can't see any way the EU put up a border between North and South.

I think the EU will just make it very difficult for the UK to get anything into mainland Europe and the UK will either have to suffer or cave to some degree.

Either way I think business in NI will still be able to have the best of both worlds and may find the friction between it and GB lessened.

red hander

rrhf

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM
Attended a very interesting debate on the implications of a Brexit, in Newry last Thursday morning.Bertie was one of the speakers.Few eye openers, not least of which is the absolute dread of the free state business community and political parties of a Brexit.Independance? Celebrating 1916 centenary? My Arse.
When Tony started this thread and mentioned this first here, It was pretty much news to me and I thought it was a nonsense and never going to happen.  How things have developed...

Main Street

Much noise about article 16 and diversion of trade and that if there is diversion of trade in NI due to the protocol, then article 16 can be invoked.
Basically if there are negative side effects of the protocol on the NI economy that's interpreted as  diversion of trade.
But no matter how many times  Unionists  deceptively  misinterpret that narrow survey of NI economy and magnify the importance of  cost increases elsewhere, it cannot change the facts that NI economy  has not suffered due to the protocol, in fact the opposite is more true.
The diversion of trade mantra is a red herring.

Not having a clue what diversion of trade meant, I sought help found this web site,
https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/glossary/trade-diversion/

imtommygunn

The Tories never let facts get in the way of anything though.

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on May 12, 2022, 04:34:19 PM
I think this whole thing will work out in the North's favour. I can't see any way the EU put up a border between North and South.

I think the EU will just make it very difficult for the UK to get anything into mainland Europe and the UK will either have to suffer or cave to some degree.

Either way I think business in NI will still be able to have the best of both worl100%ds and may find the friction between it and GB lessened.
100%. The vast majority of the brits trade to EU goes through Dover. That's where they have been hit and will continually to be hit. Delays there is not sustainable for them.

seafoid

https://mobile.twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1525162346825515009On Article 16, Pascal Lamy former WTO head and EU trade commissioner tells BBCPM: "If UK acts unilaterally saying there will be no border... it is the UK saying we negate Brexit. The very decision to Brexit entails the existence of a border. You cannot have your cake and eat it."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

ewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

·

13h

Lamy: "If this is about is about how many toothbrushes [should be subject to checks] this is solvable. If it's about there shouldn't be a border between the EU and Ireland then this isn't negotiable because this is what the British people decided when they decided Brexit."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2022, 07:39:48 AM
ewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

·

13h

Lamy: "If this is about is about how many toothbrushes [should be subject to checks] this is solvable. If it's about there shouldn't be a border between the EU and Ireland then this isn't negotiable because this is what the British people decided when they decided Brexit."

Is this guy an elected politician from somewhere that has sway in brexit?

If no, his ramblings are a bit like yours, pointless
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2022, 01:34:28 PM
ewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

·

13h

Former trade commissioner

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2022, 02:08:58 PM
ewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

·

13h

So no? Ok let's move on then and listen to someone who actually has real input than someone who is former something
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lenny

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2022, 08:57:50 PM
ewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

·

13h

So no? Ok let's move on then and listen to someone who actually has real input than someone who is former something

Lamy is a former Director-General of the World Trade Organization a position he held for 8 years. He's the person who described Britain's brexit trade deal as moving from being a premier league team to a lower league 2 side. He has a good understanding of trade deals and knew what Britain had signed up to was crap.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lenny on May 14, 2022, 09:04:46 PM
ewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

·

13h

Lamy is a former Director-General of the World Trade Organization a position he held for 8 years. He's the person who described Britain's brexit trade deal as moving from being a premier league team to a lower league 2 side. He has a good understanding of trade deals and knew what Britain had signed up to was crap.

Ok so I'll ask again is he elected politician and has he any sway in brexit? If not then he's just another voice on Twitter with a point of view.

I didn't ask if he was a former this or that. Quoting stuff from a blogger won't change a thing. Tony Blair was banging on about something the other week, absolutely pointless commentary because it holds no sway.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2022, 09:10:19 PM
Quote from: lenny on May 14, 2022, 09:04:46 PM
ewis Goodall

@lewis_goodall

·

13h

Ok so I'll ask again is he elected politician and has he any sway in brexit? If not then he's just another voice on Twitter with a point of view.

I didn't ask if he was a former this or that. Quoting stuff from a blogger won't change a thing. Tony Blair was banging on about something the other week, absolutely pointless commentary because it holds no sway.
You're losing it MR2, grab the middle ground somewhere and hold fast.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: screenexile on May 12, 2022, 04:34:19 PM

Either way I think business in NI will still be able to have the best of both worlds and may find the friction between it and GB lessened.

So, basically the DUP want to drive the island of Ireland's economy into the gutter by forcing the ROI to pull themselves from the single market to avoid a border on the island.

They accomplish this by getting the UK to invoke art.16, abolish the protocol and leave the EU with a choice of cutting off ROI or sacrificing integrity of single market.

If the economy down south is in the gutter, then the UK block grant is the (relatively) big show in town and they hope people will look out for extremely short term interest and continue to look to London rather than realise what they'd have in the single market.

Of course, expect strong EU retaliation, so the UK economy will also nose dive. DUP don't care, they probably reckon UK will be relatively stronger -
and they'll remain onboard HMS Brittania - despite putting a spread of torpedoes into the economies of both islands!

Will it work? Any logical government in London would tell them to go f**k themselves.

This government? Who the f**k knows!
i usse an speelchekor