2022 National Football League

Started by The PRO, January 26, 2022, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the hop

really disappointing performance last night, more to the fact that they were very beatable like antrim. three home games and only a point to show for it is such a poor return. it confirms though that we are division three team and possibly a division four team depending on the longford game and any early notions after the louth game that we could be promoted were quickly dispelled. that louth game now was a classic hit and run and we were lucky not to get them further into the league when they hit their stride. we would be murdered in division 2 in our present state. Billy hasn't been a lucky general which he needed to be, the withdrawals and refusals to join the panel, along with injuries have really weakened his hand. the panel has had been said before is one of the weakest that ever represented the county. two more injuries last night along with Paddy o sullivan won't help the situation.

the game itself was much like the others, and the management and players have to take the blame for what was going on. we defended in mass, ultra conservative against a team that got 1-6 the last day, with the whole team in our own half many times. this didn't work as on two distinct occasions when they went  the length of the field from a short kickout to a point. on one occasion 14 passes in a row without a hand laid on them, no pressure on the ball carrier and players just shadowing their player, once a player didn't make the required effort to get close they could work it in to a shooting position. some players haven't the pace to stay with players, others are too lazy to do it and the system fails. what's the point in having JOL as a sweeper if the opposition are shooting points from outside his zone. the wing forward got four points from play and three of them were from just outside this area.

with no one up the field in the cases we got turnovers we were back to the slow play and lateral handpassing, it was quicker than previous games but it reminded me of basketball where we had to wait for players to travel up the field to get into a position to receive a ball to shoot. why was Mark Barry not told to stay forward than float around, only near the end when he scored was he really involved in the paly. on the times we got it in , some of the ball was terrible. gary walsh will not win contested high balls lashed in at him with two markers near him. At the same time Evan was out the field contesting kickouts and then kicking the ball into the space where he should have been. the kickouts again were a huge problem as they have been all the league. in contrast to Limericks short kickouts which they won, we lamped nearly everything out the field. to see the players actually go out to the side in a pod and call the kickout to that area made many of them contested. While the pod of three or four players did well on breaking ball the contrast to the short handy kickouts limerick worked all night gave them control of the ball to work it up the field. in the end the referee was even giving us a chance of a draw and we lashed a few efforts at the goals, some by experienced players which could have been worked better, but it summed up the night.

i know its a bit of a rant, but its worrying that we are in the position again that like a few years ago we could be sliding down the divisions again into four. really big game against longford now.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Wicklow have just done us a big favour, they've beaten Longford by 1 point, 0-20 to 2-13.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tier2

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on March 20, 2022, 03:42:58 PM
Wicklow have just done us a big favour, they've beaten Longford by 1 point, 0-20 to 2-13.
I stand up to correction but will it come down to head to head if Longford Beat us they'll avoid relegation?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Yes, you are correct, I assumed it was score difference first but unfortunately not...

As per the Official GAA Guide - Part 1 - Section 6.21[4] -

If two teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the league phase, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:

Where two teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the previous game in the Competition.

If three or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the league phase, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:

(1) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total scores against from total scores for);
(2) Highest Total Score For;
(3) A Play-Off.

smcder

havent seen the table, but if wicklow and longford win next week are all three of us on the same points?

Tier2

Quote from: smcder on March 20, 2022, 05:06:52 PM
havent seen the table, but if wicklow and longford win next week are all three of us on the same points?
if 3 teams finish on the same points then in goes to points difference and lowest 2 get the drop

blueandwhite1

Wicklow are home to Louth. Stranger things have happened but you would expect Louth to win.

Anyway, if we lose, we deserve the drop.

town1980

Saturday,,, no plan no system billy was shouting at Jol and some of it was not nice explicit rather,, tactics are done before the game v v v disappointed being beaten by Limerick like lads wher are we at I did think we would go in the right direction but a shambles we are

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Tier2 on March 20, 2022, 06:33:46 PM
if 3 teams finish on the same points then in goes to points difference and lowest 2 get the drop

This is from the RTE website, it explains what might happen.

One thing is for sure, at least one Leinster county is dropping down to the bottom division for 2023.

First and foremost, if Laois avoid defeat against Longford, they're safe. If they're beaten then they will be safe if Wicklow fail to beat Louth.

If Laois lose to Longford, and Wicklow beat Louth, then all three counties will end up on five points. The O'Moore men have a big advantage when it comes to scoring difference; don't be surprised if that saves them come Sunday evening.

BallyroanAbu

It won't matter if we don't get relegated this year, it will be next.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I don't agree, this is basically a new team, lots of young lads on it and it will take time to buy into what the selectors want. We are very impatient as supporters which is understandable but let's give them time.

Giovanni

Frustrating display on Saturday. I personally cannot see how it can be so difficult to press the kick-out if that's what you want to do. There must surely have been 20 kickouts from Limerick on Saturday and not only did we not win any of them but we didn't put any meaningful pressure on the defenders even though it looked like that's what we were trying to do. Surely to God, we have the mental discipline to be able to stay touch tight to defenders, particularly when you know that that's what they're doing?

As someone else said, there does seem to be a mix of problems - from lads playing in wrong positions to lads who just couldn't be bothered when we don't have the ball.

On the positive side, there seemed to be more success under the breaking ball and the midfield seems a bit better now that it's more mobile. Some of Lillis' foot passing was incredibly good on the night and Mark Timmons was just head and shoulders above everyone when he came on (so much for getting rid of the older lads). Lowry put in a huge shift and played very well, as did Evan O Carroll. Dylan Kavanagh looked good before the injury.

Overall though, it didn't look like a very coherent team performance. You'd like to see evidence that some of the basic things like pressing and kick-out strategy was developing but it didn't really look that way on Saturday.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on March 21, 2022, 10:09:13 AM
I don't agree, this is basically a new team, lots of young lads on it and it will take time to buy into what the selectors want. We are very impatient as supporters which is understandable but let's give them time.

How impatient ? We have been waiting for a young team for the last 10 years.

Laoiseabu

As it stands division 3 next year will be Cork , Down , Westmeath, Fermanagh, Antrim , Cavan , Laois, Tipperary .
Maybe it's just me but division 3 next year seems significantly stronger than it was this year . I'd agree with Ballyroanabu that there is a possibility that we could be relegated next year if we avoid the drop next Sunday .
I expect us to beat Longford next week because Longford are just so poor and a number of their key players and a lot of the Mullinalaghta contingent are not on the panel .
I know it's a bit repetitive at this stage but you could argue they we have not even hit rock bottom yet with the likes of Lillis , J Finn ,G Walsh , Dillon , Munnelly , Timmons , OLoughlin all the wrong side of 30 and still some of our most important players . Donie Kingston ( who is the best player in the county on his day ) is also moving on in years .
We are in transition but we may still be in transition for the foreseeable future . It's hard to get excited about the senior footballers at the moment but a win against Longford next week and a first round championship win against Wicklow is very achievable. After that I would be happy to be competitive against a Meath team who are slowly improving in Division 2 as the league has progressed.

blueandwhite1

LAOIS: Danny Bolger; Mark Timmons, Trevor Collins, Alex Mohan; James Finn, John O'Loughlin, Gareth Dillon; Kieran Lillis, Sean O'Flynn; Brian Byrne, Ross Munnelly, Danny O'Reilly; Mark Barry, Evan O'Carroll, Gary Walsh. 

Patient for new team? Above is the 15 that finished the match on Saturday. Other than the 2 bolded, looks like the same team we have been putting out for a few years now. Yes, there are a few new players that came off (Bennett and Kavanagh) and one or two missing but I think we have possibly the worst situation here - heading for division 4 with very little new blood on board.