2022 National Football League

Started by The PRO, January 26, 2022, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

County Man

Great to get the two points in Ardee in what were horrendous conditions for football. Decent crowd showed up.

Bolger was outstanding in goals, James Kelly was amazing, great defence work and also set up attacks, was all over the field. Sean O'Flynn very lively at wing back. Eoin Lowry had a fine game, great work ethic, kicked a couple of scores and was involved in Gary Walshes 2nd goal. Gary Walsh took his 2 goals brilliantly. One of the top goal poachers for Laois in the last 30 years, no doubt about it.

So Westmeath up next in Portlaoise. Hopefully a decent support for it. Should be a right battle.

Joeythelips

Great to get off to a winning start, Westmeath will be an ideal test of where we are, I see them as a team on the up and slightly ahead of us over the last year or so and my favs to get promoted to Div 2. Billy has obviously got to grips with Laois and has really got them playing so I expect a right battle at the weekend and he will learn an awful lot about his players in terms of his team for championship will be like. Nice to be excited about the county footballers for a change.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Hoping that a sizeable Laois crowd show out for the game at the weekend. Billy and co. have earned as much thus far and are playing a lovely style of football. I was vet impressed with them in that game against the Dubs who had a strong side out in the O'Byrne Cup.

Collins will have another big task on his hands in trying to mark one of the best forwards in the country in Heslin. I like Collins but worry about his size and I think he's better suited to a corner-back/wing-back role in the future.

Westmeath have a strong panel just by looking at the talent they could afford to leave on the bench last weekend. If we're to get a result here I think the bench will need to provide some contribution off the bench. Alan Farrell, Cormac Murphy, Daniel O'Reilly, Jake Foster all have pace that can hurt teams off the bench in the final quarter of games when legs get tired.

The PRO

Bit of a reality check for us there today. I'd imagine Westmeath will be the team to beat in this division.
Thought we got destroyed in the middle and half forward line for most of the game, with the exception of Lowry's first half display. Backs battled hard but we never really clicked in attack.
With the few missing players, our bench is looking a bit light.

town1980

Massive reality check am I mad looking at a warm up that has small balls I'm all for billy but being that controlling isn't good.??I do think there playing for him but today best team won today please god we stay div 3

Laois Rising

Westmeath are a couple of years further down the road than this Laois team. After their debacle when Kingston scored a hat trick of goals to defeat them in championship football a few years ago, they brought Cooney in as manager and has he has done an excellent job rebuilding Westmeath. Our midfield has been a problem area for a long time now. It is a real pity Sean Byrne isn't available this year. He is the sort of player that we badly need around the middle third to partner James Finn.

Butch Cassidy

A worry for me is our lack of pace around midfield which will be a concern when the pitches harden up. Westmeath are a good team and are 4 years with Cooney so will ahead of Laois in terms of style and S&C. Hopefully the 2 week break allows lads to come back from injuries as Fermanagh away will be a tough test

High Fielder

The lads playing rugby should reconsider and commit if they can. It can only benefit Port too. Irrespective of the level we're playing at, or whatever, you won't improve as a player not being involved at inter county

Chrimtain

Quote from: High Fielder on February 07, 2022, 01:03:37 PM
The lads playing rugby should reconsider and commit if they can. It can only benefit Port too. Irrespective of the level we're playing at, or whatever, you won't improve as a player not being involved at inter county

There are 5 or 6 guys who have not committed, who could improve this team a lot.

SCFC

Quote from: Chrimtain on February 07, 2022, 01:37:46 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on February 07, 2022, 01:03:37 PM

There are 5 or 6 guys who have not committed, who could improve this team a lot.
To be fair to the lads, it's only incidental that they are playing a bit of rugby. Their intention, as I understand it, is to spend some time travelling this year.
It's a pity because I really think Piggott, Murphy and Byrne would be a huge upgrade on some of the current first 20 or 21 players.

High Fielder

If they weren't involved with Port I'd give them a bye. But they are and Port have potential. If they come back next year and Port fail narrowly again, they'll regret it. Playing with Laois is mutually beneficial to club and county.

blueandwhite1

Might not be a popular thing to say but I would rather we tried some of the faster players on the panel from the start rather than persist with the slower more experienced players. Not going to name players out of respect for the contributions and undoubted abilities of the more experienced guys. We might get bigger beatings to begin with but I would rather see us lose by 10 points and gain invaluable experience than lose by 6 points and gain nothing.

County Man

No arguments with the result yesterday. Westmeath are in their 4th year with Cooney and deserved their win. I'm sure they will be be promoted from here with 2nd spot very much up for grabs.

For us its early doors under Billy Sheehan. We were competitive all the way. Some great defensive work in the first half and the only blight was a freak goal for Westmeath with the ball held up in the wind when it looked destined to go harmlessly wide. Bolger kicked 2 great frees and Eoin Lowry continued his fine start to the season with 3 points from play.

Dylan Kavanagh looked lively when he came on as a sub. Also compliments to Ross Munnelly who has now scored in 20 consecutive seasons.

Still 5 rounds of league action ahead so plenty of points to fight for. Onwards and upwards.

Giovanni

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 07, 2022, 04:50:21 PM
Might not be a popular thing to say but I would rather we tried some of the faster players on the panel from the start rather than persist with the slower more experienced players. Not going to name players out of respect for the contributions and undoubted abilities of the more experienced guys. We might get bigger beatings to begin with but I would rather see us lose by 10 points and gain invaluable experience than lose by 6 points and gain nothing.

I agree with this and I am hopeful that this will gradually happen. The positioning and substitutions suggest the management is aware of this.

Butch Cassidy

Anyone know where Laois are playing Kildare tonight?