2022 National Football League

Started by The PRO, January 26, 2022, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

Didn't think Foster was on the panel 🤔

Smellyball

Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 30, 2022, 10:57:09 AM
Didn't think Foster was on the panel 🤔

Didn't think so myself, presumed my source was well informed but never got to quiz him on that.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Smellyball on January 30, 2022, 10:28:26 AM
Word on the street is Moore injured, Foster might start.

Illness .. Walsh certainly took his chance .

Great win
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great win in very difficult conditions, still a lot of mistakes being made but everyone working so hard and it's great to see.
A few brilliant saves by Bolger in the goals and James Kelly played a stormer.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Spiritof86

Very good 2 points in not the easiest environment. Exactly what we needed to kick start the league . They clearly had there homework done Evan O'Carroll who was kept relatively quite . Bolger in fairness looks like he will nail down the No1 jersey . Thought Lowry got through a Trojan amount of work and Walsh certainly has added work rate to his game . Kelly was excellent at the back .
By no means a top notch performance far from it but it's encouraging to see a plan and strategy in place .
Good to see Jake Foster on the extended panel there today .

Unlaoised

I agree with the above .

Finn and Lillis were good in patches .

I know there was quite a few carrying knocks so hopefully a week will do them good .

Great win in horrible conditions on a poor pitch .

Bolger was great .

James Kelly man of the match
LAOIS ABÚ

town1980

Let's all agree the players are playing for there manager no matttervwhat happens ,,billy well done and Young bolger well done in my opinion mom his a good one and bestvlaois have

Helix.

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 30, 2022, 07:31:31 PM
I agree with the above .

Finn and Lillis were good in patches .

I know there was quite a few carrying knocks so hopefully a week will do them good .

Great win in horrible conditions on a poor pitch .

Bolger was great .

James Kelly man of the match

Bolger has been one of the most consistent goalkeepers in Senior club championship for years. Great to see he's getting a run in with Laois. Good to have that depth in goalkeeper position in Byron and Corbett nonetheless.  Off the mark anyways and Louth being a bogey team last few years since first win since 2014 I think I saw.

Laois will need a fast start against Westmeath next week to get a result. Hopefully Gary Walsh will still have goal scoring boots on next week. Will be a very open division over next few weeks.

SCFC

Great result but we probably were a bit lucky in patches. Louth butchered a couple of great goal chances (with the intervention of Bolger) whereas we were more clinical.
That said, they would pretty poor without Mulroy and to a lesser extent Byrne, who only came on.
We will probably need to find another gear against Wesmeath next weekend as they are a much more seasoned team than Louth.
Great display from James Kelly. My MOTM. Bolger, O'Flynn (what the f**k was Quirke thinking with this lad?), Dillon, Finn, Lowry and Walsh all did well.

Tintin84

James Kelly is an exceptional footballer delighted for him, What is the story of the goalkeeper situation? I wonder now that you we have Bolger and Byron in the goalkeeping positions does that leave the option for Corbett outfield surely worth a shot no?

Spiritof86

Don't think Corbett is inter-county standard out the field . Have to agree with an above poster about O'Flynn . A definite starter now . Looks to have filled out more too . Well able to give it and take it .

redsetanta

It was great to get a winning start to the league which keeps the momentum from the O'Byrne cup going. As already said it's never easy to win away from home and Louth have always been tough opponents.
It sets up the game with Westmeath nicely and if Laois could win that then you'd have to say that they will be in the mix for promotion. Something I didn't think i'd be saying 6 months ago.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

on the hop

it was a tough slog up there but its a good start considering that they had so much possession, but they seemed to be obsessed with constantly recycling it.  they had probably there best forward inside who was policed well by Collins bar one very harsh challenge and could have done a bit of damage if they kicked it in but they seemed slaves to their system much to the moans of the crowd.

they will be kicking themselves with the amount of goal chances they missed, four or five of them should have been goals which was worrying considering how many defenders we played back. in fairness the keeper is a good shot stopper. I thought we had awful problems on our kickouts, the strong wind didn't help along with the press they employed which meant everything went long. Anything we did kick long was very high and hung in the air and suited them to break. we did combat it at times by crowding the area for breaking ball and got a few clean catches but we still struggled at times even in the second half when we tried a few very direct ones down the middle. Fermanagh and Antrim are probably going to employ much the same tactics so at least we know what we are facing. The Westmeath game is already starting to look like a real big game and hopefully a decent crowd will be there.   

Smellyball

Was looking around on twitter Saturday and saw Gooch saying Laois were his pick to win Division 3.
Off to a good start anyway, you'd hope momentum will keep going I to the Westmeath game

Laois Rising

It is a weak Division 3 this year. Laois rode their luck in the first half-whereas Wexford capitalised on their goal chances a few weeks back, Louth will be kicking themselves that they could not even convert one of theirs. It kept us nicely in the game at half time and with the wind in our favour in the second half you expected us to kick on and win it from there-which we did.

The Westmeath game isn't make or break but it will give us a true reflection of where we are at. After seeing the hammerings Dublin and Meath took at the weekend it has made me re-evaluate our O'Byrne Cup performances a little. While we did well in those games, it is clear that Dublin and Meath were a long way off where you would normally expect them to be. There should be an edge to the weekend's game as the prize for the winner is a firm footing in the promotion placings. It would be nice to see Laois winning home league games again- our record in O'Moore Park the last couple of years has been truly abysmal.