Other sports

Started by SCFC, December 07, 2021, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Just said I'd throw this up here. Might generate some chat. Not a lot of GAA at this time of year except a bit of colleges stuff and the Leinster club semis.

I always keep an eye on the local soccer and rugby team results. Portlaoise AFC first team play in the Leinster Senior League which is a really high standard. There's always a few GAA connections with them too. Colm Coss, Paul Cahillane and Scott Osbourne are or were among their squad. Had been going well but have now lost three on the bounce and probably won't be getting promoted this season.

Mountmellick would be the top Laois team in the CCFL and Stradbally, Abbeyleix, Clonaslee and Rosenallis always have good teams. Arlington play in the Kildare league and Crettyard and Killeshin play in the Carlow league and I think teams from Durrow, maybe Mountrath and Rathdowney play in the Kilkenny league.

In the rugby Portarlington are going well this year but they are in the very bottom league while Portlaoise are going OK two divisions higher.

I like a bit of boxing too. Michael Nevin is a great prospect. So are Cian Reddy and Chris Cekiso. I often think of Michael O'Reilly too. Was heading to the Olympics until a stupid mistake cost him everything. Could he ever come back?

There's a few great young athletes too. Ava O'Connor, Sarah Buggy and Ruby and Nessa Millett.

Ballybrittas Boy

There used to be a lot more soccer teams. A lot of them have disappeared. Ballybrittas, Emo, Killenard all had teams. There also used to be two or three clubs in Port.

steven seagal

O'Reilly was a terrible waste of talent, I think he's been in a bit of bother on and off since so I don't see him ever making a meaningful comeback.

The basketball club in Portlaoise are very good too, they produce an awful lot of underage internationals in fairness to them. They would even pick up players from neighbouring counties who would play for them because of the level they are at. They seem to be a well-run outfit in fairness to them, if they only had their own court.

Is Shane Keegan still over the Portlaoise soccer team? They have had some decent managers too, Ger Dunne was over them for a while and he was involved in the irish management team with Martin O'Neill

Jd

Two good young runners to keep an eye on would be McKenzie Mcivor from up Ballylinan direction and also Jack Fenlon from Ballybrittas. Both running at a high level with Fenlon running internationally

Laois Rising

Quote from: Ballybrittas Boy on December 07, 2021, 03:16:31 PM
There used to be a lot more soccer teams. A lot of them have disappeared. Ballybrittas, Emo, Killenard all had teams. There also used to be two or three clubs in Port.

For the same reason many rural GAA clubs are now struggling- population decline in many parts of Laois, especially rural communities. Bringing it back to GAA- look at the number of amalgamations at underage level in Laois GAA. Twenty years ago rural clubs like the two Arles', Crettyard, the Rock etc. all capable of fielding underage team at all the grades going up. Now you see amalgamations of 3/4 clubs to get a team together. Numbers are not what they were. Employment and jobs big factor- when Celtic Tiger here most young lads (like myself at the time) could make a good living  living from their home place. That's not been the case since 2008 and clubs lose lads to moving to Dublin, London or further afield for employment. They then not setting up roots at home-knock on effect is that their kids are then lost to the club as well.

SCFC

Quote from: steven seagal on December 08, 2021, 11:01:46 AM
Is Shane Keegan still over the Portlaoise soccer team?
I'm not 100% sure whether he is or not - he would hardly have had the time! He was with Rathdowney Errill and he had some involvement with Dundalk in the League of Ireland.

SCFC

Quote from: Laois Rising on December 08, 2021, 07:08:05 PM

For the same reason many rural GAA clubs are now struggling- population decline in many parts of Laois, especially rural communities. Bringing it back to GAA- look at the number of amalgamations at underage level in Laois GAA. Twenty years ago rural clubs like the two Arles', Crettyard, the Rock etc. all capable of fielding underage team at all the grades going up. Now you see amalgamations of 3/4 clubs to get a team together. Numbers are not what they were. Employment and jobs big factor- when Celtic Tiger here most young lads (like myself at the time) could make a good living  living from their home place. That's not been the case since 2008 and clubs lose lads to moving to Dublin, London or further afield for employment. They then not setting up roots at home-knock on effect is that their kids are then lost to the club as well.
I thought the population of the county was steadily rising, no? I think it's more the "Playstation generation" - youngsters who have no interest in sport and would prefer a tech/social media lifestyle. I would hear anecdotally of rural primary school classes  where the pupils would have no involvement in sport except what they are compelled to do.

The change in the GAA club season also affected soccer participation numbers. Back 20+ years ago when I played, the GAA season was a lot earlier in the year. It wouldn't be unusual to be out of your championship in June or July. Championship are only getting going now in late July and it's a lot more difficult to get a junior soccer team up and running for early to mid August when the CCFL starts.

The PRO

Great variety of sports for a very small place down in Crettyard area. You obviously have football and soccer but there's also handball, a brilliant athletics club St Abbans and a boxing club in Tolerton.

Badminton used to be a very popular sport around the county. Maybe it still is but I don't hear much about it these days.

An Watcher

When I think of the number of soccer teams in Strabane growing up compared to now.  Scandalous.  Just no interest any more.  For those that do play they all need molly cuddled

Laois Rising

Quote from: SCFC on December 09, 2021, 10:54:30 AM
Quote from: Laois Rising on December 08, 2021, 07:08:05 PM

I thought the population of the county was steadily rising, no? I think it's more the "Playstation generation" - youngsters who have no interest in sport and would prefer a tech/social media lifestyle. I would hear anecdotally of rural primary school classes  where the pupils would have no involvement in sport except what they are compelled to do.

The change in the GAA club season also affected soccer participation numbers. Back 20+ years ago when I played, the GAA season was a lot earlier in the year. It wouldn't be unusual to be out of your championship in June or July. Championship are only getting going now in late July and it's a lot more difficult to get a junior soccer team up and running for early to mid August when the CCFL starts.

Population in urban areas has grown rapidly in Laois hence hike in the county's population numbers. In rural areas I don't think that same growth is evident. Definitely an issue in Portlaoise is the large number of kids not involved in sports. Sad to see- clubs need to get into the primary schools and actively promote their sports and create that interest and hopefully entice them to take up soccer, GAA, basketball etc.

Heshs Umpire

I see Robert Piggott and Sean Byrne are playing rugby with Port. Both are a massive loss to the Laois footballers.

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/rugby/721668/laois-gaa-stars-help-portarlington-rugby-club-lead-the-way-in-two-divisions.html
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Ogie

Maybe the Camogie deserves its own thread , but seen our ladies were bet by Cavan today, that seems a particular poor result ?
Are things on the camogie side going poorly, we are Junior level inter county now I think, having being relegated

Ballybrittas Boy

Quote from: Ogie on February 25, 2023, 10:29:03 PM
Maybe the Camogie deserves its own thread , but seen our ladies were bet by Cavan today, that seems a particular poor result ?
Are things on the camogie side going poorly, we are Junior level inter county now I think, having being relegated

I was amazed when I saw that result too. I wonder has the county camogie team suffered directly from the improved fortunes of the ladies footballers? Dual players opting for football?