O'Byrne Cup 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2021, 12:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

I will personally judge Billy on his ability to stand up to / ignore the short timers who want results now.

We have to let to old guard retire gracefully. If we pick teams for the league that are the same as we had for the last few years we are going nowhere. Lads need to be given the chance to fail and gain experience. I would rather we drop to division 4 and slowly build momentum and experience with a pacey and predominantly new team than grind out a couple of wins with the old guard. We are already paying the price for choosing experience over youth in the last few years. Can't afford to keep doing it.

portlaoisekid

Judging this panel and mgt team after one result is nonsense.Yes its looks bad and is bad but the time will come to judge Laois at the end of the season.

Billy's job is a very simple one on the face of it, make this group of players better than the sum of its parts.It wont happen easy but its very achievable considering  the low base the county's at. If he can get a tune out of this panel then we should be aiming to get promoted from div 3 . We are no world beaters but then again very few are outside the big boys are. Get the spine right , get them super fit and a good defensive system we are half way there.

Spiritof86

Goalkeeping situation looks worrying amongst other things obviously. Hoping Bolger gets a start Wednesday night . Maybe Corbett is worth a go outfield .

Butch Cassidy

Sunday shows you can't just put a new lad in without the required levels of S&C. This cab take a number of years. Ideally you'd bring lads in from minor/u20 to a development panel so they get the same training/S&C as the seniors so its a smooth transition.

Only issue I would have is the goals that were conceded. At this level, you should not be conceding 6 goals and that falls on Billy to have them better prepared.

Pugwash

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on January 10, 2022, 12:53:38 PM
Sunday shows you can't just put a new lad in without the required levels of S&C. This cab take a number of years. Ideally you'd bring lads in from minor/u20 to a development panel so they get the same training/S&C as the seniors so its a smooth transition.

Only issue I would have is the goals that were conceded. At this level, you should not be conceding 6 goals and that falls on Billy to have them better prepared.

Great point re the S&C especially in today's game whereby your athleticism is as important as your technical ability.

Something that I would love to see happening is Laois GAA giving all of our clubs templates that mirror exactly what our county teams are doing in terms of S&C. Not just in the off season, but in season too as lot of players nowadays will use the gym all year round.

You could also look at sending clubs lots of information in terms of sessions plans and stuff for kids to do at home to improve basic technical skills etc.

Creating a stronger link between club and county is absolutely vital, especially in the world we live in.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2022, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2022, 06:48:29 PM
Quote from: Smellyball on January 08, 2022, 04:20:16 PM
Shocking result, would be acceptable for hurling... not football.
Can't find any match report or lineup anywhere.

and theres the issue right there

some in the Football Fraternity labouring under the impression that football in the county is better than what it actually is

The Footballers got torn apart by a Division 4 Team today

Thats the level they are at

Sounds like you are waiting a lifetime to say that, I think it's counter productive to get into basically how bad the other is.   Neither are in a particularly good place.

As I have said for a long time now we won't solve anything till we look at the foundations of which we are built on but nobody seems to want to get into that. 

P.S Can't say I did not see yesterday coming and there will be more pain.

Quote from: Smellyball on October 09, 2021, 07:44:30 PM
If only the world knew that all the oracle's of football reside in the Laois GAA forum, there would never be a mistake made.
For people to post in here that Sheehans appointment is doomed to failure is ridiculous.
He probably wouldn't have been my first choice but I don't claim to to foresee the future and know it won't end well.
Perhaps part of the problem in Laois is all the whingeing and moaning that goes on in the background. An appointment has been made, if the county got behind the team the chances of success may improve.
For those claiming this is an awful appointment - out of interest, who was the last manager you were happy with when they were announced?
Quote from:  BallyroanAbu on Oct 10th 2021, 2:47:59 AM
Happy to oracle it, complete shit show but the definition of madness is to repeat the same thing and expect different results.  We can do better,  Jesus they have dragged us to a point where we think we deserve it.

Will ya listen to yourself and cop on

We've been on the slide since we decided we knew more than Micko and got shut of him, that wasn't today or yesterday

if not delusions of grandeur then delusions of respectability with some of the football crowd on here

from what I've seen at underage, there a massive failing in a lot of clubs in even getting the basics into their juvenile players. We punched above our weight for a few years at minor etc but that's long gone now as well.

We haven't hit rock bottom yet but its coming.

The PRO

Anyone hear the Meath game is off?

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: clonadmad on January 10, 2022, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2022, 11:18:50 AM

some in the Football Fraternity labouring under the impression that football in the county is better than what it actually is

Sounds like you are waiting a lifetime to say that, I think it's counter productive to get into basically how bad the other is.   Neither are in a particularly good place.

As I have said for a long time now we won't solve anything till we look at the foundations of which we are built on but nobody seems to want to get into that. 

P.S Can't say I did not see yesterday coming and there will be more pain.

Quote from: Smellyball on October 09, 2021, 07:44:30 PM
If only the world knew that all the oracle's of football reside in the Laois GAA forum, there would never be a mistake made.
For people to post in here that Sheehans appointment is doomed to failure is ridiculous.
He probably wouldn't have been my first choice but I don't claim to to foresee the future and know it won't end well.
Perhaps part of the problem in Laois is all the whingeing and moaning that goes on in the background. An appointment has been made, if the county got behind the team the chances of success may improve.
For those claiming this is an awful appointment - out of interest, who was the last manager you were happy with when they were announced?
Quote from:  BallyroanAbu on Oct 10th 2021, 2:47:59 AM
Happy to oracle it, complete shit show but the definition of madness is to repeat the same thing and expect different results.  We can do better,  Jesus they have dragged us to a point where we think we deserve it.

Will ya listen to yourself and cop on

We've been on the slide since we decided we knew more than Micko and got shut of him, that wasn't today or yesterday

if not delusions of grandeur then delusions of respectability with some of the football crowd on here

from what I've seen at underage, there a massive failing in a lot of clubs in even getting the basics into their juvenile players. We punched above our weight for a few years at minor etc but that's long gone now as well.

We haven't hit rock bottom yet but its coming.

Don't disagree with you on the fact that we have not yet hit rock bottom,  I do agree our underage is struggling.  What I don't agree with is some sort who is better that who between Hurling and Football.  I would say both are not in a great place and needs massive investment and restructure.  How this is going to happen and when I have no clue.   

town1980

Billy and his selectors will be judged on the teams fitness and application to certain tactics ,from what I read he holds his hands up regarding the way he set them up, this is the job of Chris and beno also anyone can coach ie do a drill etc tacticaly is the biggest thing for any inter county manager so I'm hoping Chris steps up ,it's a shocking start but they will have learnt a lot I hope from that defeat ,i am disappointed to see Ross our greatest footballer in my opinion playing he has shown a weakness there and no sign of a ruthlessness not to say your time is up ,again let's all hold fire , bad weekend for both codes

Laoiseabu

I can't say I'm surprised we lost at the weekend but I'm surprised that we were hit for 6 goals by an experimental division 4 Wexford outfit and they could of had more goals . If Dublin ,Kerry or Mayo done that to us it Would be a disaster but when you have an under strength Wexford doing it it's VERY worrying.
The reality is if Meath are anyway serious on Wednesday night it could be a lot worse than the Wexford game. Billy is obviously looking at new players and fair play to the players for committing but it's very hard to know where to go from here . I will be supporting Laois this year no matter the circumstances like I always do but . If Billy keeps us in division 3 and we get a first round championship win against Wicklow he has had a successful first year in charge in my opinion.

We are well and truly in transition and it will get worse before it gets better that's if it gets better at all. We still haven't hit rock bottom yet as D Kingston, G Walsh , Munnelly, Dillon , Lillis , OLoughlin are all still on the panel and will have to be replaced in the next couple of years too. When you have some lads who are definite starters that aren't committing like C Murphy , Byrne , Pigott etc it really kills us altogether on top of everything else

Robbo

Wasn't in wex so can't say much but few lads there will need a lot of gym time to make it. I know they have been training for a good few weeks now but the worry isn't just whether tje new lads are good enough but if they can get to proper senior physically.
Good to hear some of the forwards were lively. If we can get 4 scoring forwards on the pitch, get everyone fit and working hard then we'll have a chance at div3 and secondary all-ireland. Won't be able to play all of 2kingstons, barry, moore, evan and walsh. Need few workhorses there as well. Maybe that's why paddy O's was tried half forward.

I did hear that covid ripped thru the panel since Xmas so that maybe effected some of the positions. Big worried about full-back.

Tough game against a strong running team on wednesday. hopefully well see a competitive game and get some confidence going.

Smellyball

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on January 09, 2022, 09:54:17 PM

I read that as it's more acceptable to lose by that margin in hurling than football not the way you did.
Anyway, I really doubt there are very few from the "football fraternity" who think our football team are currently anything other than in a bad way. We've haemorrhaged players from last year's squad and have seen countless lads turn down Sheehan's invite to play. I'll be thrilled if we stay up, beat Wicklow in championship and maybe win a game or two in the second tier championship.
It was a tough day for the lads who are on board yesterday. Not many bright spots. James Finn looks a good addition. And good to see his clubmate Sean Moore playing the full game. The more county football he gets, the better. Mark Barry was good too. He knows where the posts are. Hopefully we'll see a few more faces Wednesday night and also next Saturday.
Yep, thankfully someone's has the brains to realise I was obviously referring to conceding 6 goals and losing by that margin to a traditional hurling county.

Spiritof86

Regardless of S&C , gym work or players missing/not committing Laois have conceded 16 goals in the  last  6 games . That's a worrying stat whether we are at division 4 level or not . A Distinctive lack of tactical acuteness . Really hoping the present management can change that .
Obviously not off to the most promising of starts .

Laois Rising

In order to play and compete in the modern game, James Horan made the point a few years ago the players need two full seasons of intercounty standard S&C behind them before they are physically capable of meeting the demands of intercounty football. Granted, he's talking about getting players to a position where they can compete with Dublin, Kerry and Tyrone. However, it does show that we will have to be patient with a lot of the newer faces to the panel. This year will be too soon to judge some of these players who have been asked to make a serious jump from being club footballers to playing intercounty football. The reality is they are going to take some hard knocks and learn some hard lessons as they hopefully develop over the next 12-24 months.

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: Smellyball on January 11, 2022, 09:43:48 AM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on January 09, 2022, 09:54:17 PM

I read that as it's more acceptable to lose by that margin in hurling than football not the way you did.
Anyway, I really doubt there are very few from the "football fraternity" who think our football team are currently anything other than in a bad way. We've haemorrhaged players from last year's squad and have seen countless lads turn down Sheehan's invite to play. I'll be thrilled if we stay up, beat Wicklow in championship and maybe win a game or two in the second tier championship.
It was a tough day for the lads who are on board yesterday. Not many bright spots. James Finn looks a good addition. And good to see his clubmate Sean Moore playing the full game. The more county football he gets, the better. Mark Barry was good too. He knows where the posts are. Hopefully we'll see a few more faces Wednesday night and also next Saturday.
Yep, thankfully someone's has the brains to realise I was obviously referring to conceding 6 goals and losing by that margin to a traditional hurling county.

Ye Laois boys crack me up

Wexford have more of a recent and historical tradition in football than what Laois has, appearing in all ireland semi final in 2008

It must be nearly the centenary of ye last reaching one soon ?

but you wouldn't have "the brains" to know that either

I guess you'd have tipp down as a "traditional" hurling county too even though we have a much richer recent and historic football past as well

Bottom line

Ye seem to have this misguided notion that ye are more of a football county than Wexford

stop fooling yereselves