The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on August 02, 2021, 07:51:38 AM
Article on Laois Today about CB meetings. Absolute joke shop. Poor turnouts, meetings held in camera and asking lads to look for a coach when they wouldn't go near it themselves. How many lads have taken the Laois job and never been mapped again? At least have the decency to tell the interviewees that you wouldn't take on the job yourself and the CB won't back you. And to delegates voted in by clubs who don't attend or won't turn on their computer (probably don't know how) you should be f**king ashamed of yourselves. Have you seen the state of Laois GAA ffs?

never mind delegates not turning up

anywhere between a quarter to a third of the top table wouldn't be turning up to the monthly meetings in pre covid times

clonadmad

Anyone that would have any hope for Laois Football couldn't but be concerned at what's going on in the "powerhouses" at juvenile level.

Portlaoise should a team at both codes and in every level at every age grade

u13 A
beaten recently by Park 5-11 to 2-04,there a distinct possible that they may lose to the harps and not make an A semifinal

u13 C
Their second team has 1 win from 4

u15A
0 Wins from 3,bottom of their group

Mountmellick 12-15 to 0-03
Josephs 12-15 to 2-08

u15B
O wins from 3 games bottom of their group

Stradbally Parish Gaels

No team at U13 A,instead in U13 B

No second team in C,their second team is in the D/Development league

U15 B
1 win from 3

Portarlington

have conceded all their games in the Minor A before the championship started last friday night

High Fielder

All worth knowing and thanks Clonad for pointing it out. An embarrassing mess that nobody wants to talk about or touch. Sitting over there and clapping themselves on the back for the C of E. We need to properly get into Portlaoise and actively promote GAA and raise the standards as best we can. It's very obvious that the whole thing is being neglected

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on August 02, 2021, 03:41:21 PM
All worth knowing and thanks Clonad for pointing it out. An embarrassing mess that nobody wants to talk about or touch. Sitting over there and clapping themselves on the back for the C of E. We need to properly get into Portlaoise and actively promote GAA and raise the standards as best we can. It's very obvious that the whole thing is being neglected

I don't want anyone thinking for a minute I've singled out these 3 Clubs, the lads that are playing or their mentors with some hidden agenda,High Fielder.

I want these clubs strong and vibrant and producing footballers for the minor setup and upwards.

I get no great pleasure from pointing it out either.

The clubs need help and direction and drive from those that sit at the top table and those paid to do a job.

Portbush

In Portarlington it's sad to see that we couldn't field a minor team which a town of our size should have no problem it's not all bad over here we have good numbers at other levels and will compete with most teams. I see mouthmellick are now joined up with all there surrounding small clubs which is no good. When I see this happening I feel it's parents and mangers trying to we medals for there kids and  themselves and not  the club.portlaoise is growing every year and it needed a second football club ten years ago.all 3 clubs have one thing in common they are competing with a lot more sports kids have greater choice.yes I believe the county board should do more to promote  the game in the towns because at the end of the day that's where your population is.

High Fielder

We all only want what's best. It's very obvious we're falling well short of that requirement. The Senior job should be at the bottom rung on the ladder in terms of our priorities just now. Our CB are box tickers and I'm sick of them. Hearing that they and delegates don't even attend meetings is a sickener. There's very little good going on in Laois GAA and our standards are pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. Someone needs to take responsibility for that or else they're just freeloaders, getting in to matches for free. Anyone can do that

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Portbush on August 02, 2021, 04:09:22 PM
In Portarlington it's sad to see that we couldn't field a minor team which a town of our size should have no problem it's not all bad over here we have good numbers at other levels and will compete with most teams. I see mouthmellick are now joined up with all there surrounding small clubs which is no good. When I see this happening I feel it's parents and mangers trying to we medals for there kids and  themselves and not  the club.portlaoise is growing every year and it needed a second football club ten years ago.all 3 clubs have one thing in common they are competing with a lot more sports kids have greater choice.yes I believe the county board should do more to promote  the game in the towns because at the end of the day that's where your population is.

100% Portlaoise should have at least two GAA clubs minimum if they want to get more young players interested in the sport. I'd imagine having the training pitch out in Rathleague isn't exactly ideal for every young lad's parents. I'd say there could be more than 8 different soccer clubs in Portlaoise so no reason just to have the single GAA club.

Ballyroan Abbey

Realistically there should be 3 clubs in Portlaoise, make a deal with Portlaoise college and base a Juvenile one in Knockmay a place with a big population that has never been tapped into for players for various reasons, start at u9/10, if you wanted to be very ambitious the county board could do simular with a pitch in the COE, given the amount of children in Portlaoise school the percentage playing gaa is deplorable and I am taking into account other sports/distractions too that come with being in a big town like Portlaoise

Chrimtain

It sounds like the games are in terminal decline in this county. Look at Offaly though. They seem to have turned things around. Amazing what a bit of leadership and new blood can achieve. Where will our leadership come from?

High Fielder

You're right Chrimtain. Leadership is what is needed here. A bit of innovative thinking. If you want to be a county board official, there has to be something you believe you can achieve. You don't just do it because it's your turn or it looks good on the CV. In my opinion, this is one of the darkest periods ever in Laois GAA, and all I hear is the usual shite. New manager, local Championship starting next weekend etc etc. These lads go month to month and year to year doing the same things over and over. Now is the time to actually do something about the state of our games.

Chrimtain

Unfortunately though, we will probably have the same old faces in place for some time because no body is willing to step up and take on the 'top table jobs.

Jd

I'm no fan of the Co Board, but how many here complaining and saying something has to ba done have actually tried to change it, all you need to do is go to your clubs and get nominated. Or contact Mike Henchy and say you'd like to get involved at underage development I know for a fact they're struggling to get people for teams  . It's easy to run down lads who are actually in there doing their best but when you have to offer up your time every week for meetings or training or courses then it's not so easy. Saying that this is the worst time ever is rubbish cos I can remember the 70s and 80s and we were no great shakes either. Compare to Offaly we were div 2 football and they were div 3 so we swopped and in hurling we are div 1 and Mccarthy cup where they were promoted from div 2 and hurling in christy ring which is third tier so put thing into perspective a bit. Things are not great but blaming people who are at least trying to sort stuff out is lazy and clichéd....... The free pass and Co coat thing wouldn't cost €100 but the time volunteered by various people would cost many times that

High Fielder

I'd say plenty would go in. Not with them, because let's face it, it's a bit cosy in its current format. It has always been so in Laois. I heard of one CB member complaining of the amount of hours that were required in the role. Oddly enough, he's still there.

High Fielder

Quote from: Jd on August 03, 2021, 11:31:07 AM
I'm no fan of the Co Board, but how many here complaining and saying something has to ba done have actually tried to change it, all you need to do is go to your clubs and get nominated. Or contact Mike Henchy and say you'd like to get involved at underage development I know for a fact they're struggling to get people for teams  . It's easy to run down lads who are actually in there doing their best but when you have to offer up your time every week for meetings or training or courses then it's not so easy. Saying that this is the worst time ever is rubbish cos I can remember the 70s and 80s and we were no great shakes either. Compare to Offaly we were div 2 football and they were div 3 so we swopped and in hurling we are div 1 and Mccarthy cup where they were promoted from div 2 and hurling in christy ring which is third tier so put thing into perspective a bit. Things are not great but blaming people who are at least trying to sort stuff out is lazy and clichéd....... The free pass and Co coat thing wouldn't cost €100 but the time volunteered by various people would cost many times that

One person going in there to change anything wouldn't last 6 months. That's not how we do things around here lol . Try not to be so naive. As for the free pass and jacket, you need to ask yourself why any man (or woman - not enough of those by the way) would want to dedicate so many hours to such a helpless cause. There is after all only so much you can say on a public forum

clonadmad

I think its informative to look at how Duignan brought about change to a stagnant situation in Offaly

Not only did he run for the chair but he had a cabinet of like minded people also in place to run for the various positions on the top table at the same convention.

As HF already pointed out, you'd be gobbled up here, if any one person was make the top table.

Its interesting to see the transformation in Offaly since Duignan and his team got into position

debt on Tullamore cleared

debt on faithful fields cleared with them now planning for an all weather pitch to the tune of €1m

a covid fundraiser which generated hundred of thousands and was split between the CB and the clubs

Coporate sponsors on board including the likes of Shane Lowry

5 GDA'S in Place

12 Club GPO'S to be in place by autumn this year,some are already in the likes of Edenderry and Tullamore,but you have smaller clubs sharing them as well

and this is before you come to the massive upturn in fortunes in both codes at underage Intercounty level

you also see the placement of key men that know what they are doing in the under age setups.

There's also been some innovations in the club juvenile competitions with them introducing a league for dual clubs in both hurling and football which facilitates clubs trying to serve both codes.

All this in a county which has a smaller population than ours, which has a similar dual code split and has 8 fewer clubs.

if it can be done in Offaly

why cant it be done here?