Laois Senior Hurlers 2021

Started by mcwregor, January 28, 2021, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix.

Quote from: Joeythelips on May 09, 2021, 03:36:26 PM
Harsh scoreline in the end, Laois worked hard throughout but just lacked that bit of quality in the final third. Lots to work on and the league not made any easier with Antrims win over Clare.
Game was awful to watch but to be expected in first game back. Forwards bar King were very poor. Could neither score or tackle today. Seemed to be constantly running into Wexford players and being turned over. Obviously weather conditions didn't help wides and  badly missing key players up front. They're going to have to get up the standard soon as season will be over before you know it.
Hopefully it'll be much improved after today.

clonadmad

We won't get near any of the other opposition either

The best we can hope for is to beat Westmeath in the relegation playoff

That was the reality before today's game and it's the reality now

Keyser Söze

As Helix mentioned, the tendency to carry the ball into trouble was a big problem. Actually it wasn't even carried into trouble. It was soloed into trouble.
Major problem with shooting from ridiculous places.
We had plenty of possession in the attacking half. What we did with the ball was really really inefficient!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SpeculativeEffort

We soloed into trouble as the players ahead of the player in possession were completely outnumbered by defenders. The optimism of our forwards about actually winning the ball seemed to wane very quickly when they were so outnumbered. They were chasing shadows for most of game and when they did get the ball they shot straight away as there was no support.

It looked like we played a formation of:
Then carry and shoot any time we see the goals.

Containment game plan. We need Kav, Lyons etc back quick

burdizzo

Kavanagh's out for the year.

21 wides is an awful lot. I know there was a big wind, and all, but a free taker of Scully's calibre should have made a better fist of some of those. A lot of them were MILES wide!

I thought the backs did OK, but King was the only one up front. Very hard to see us beating Antrim.

merman

Sobering afternoon.
There are a few established players who just haven't reached the heights of 2019 and we haven't added a whole pile to the mix since. We are a long way off Liam McCarthy standard truth be told.

It's going to be a tough league but I suppose we knew that anyway.
The 12 team Div 1 is great for exposing us to high-quality opposition but it's a very steep curve and I can't help but feel Divisions of 8 would suit us better. A discussion for another day perhaps.

A competitive showing next week would be a positive.

town1980

We can dress it up all we want we were shocking today the gulf in class was serious 19 points says it all ,, I totally admire us having cheddar disagree with Laois having only one Laois insider over the football team bad champo for both sides predicted

Zooming around

It's a pity we didn't get to see young Dooley play.

blueandwhite1

Funny what people take out of a game.

For me, Laois were at a much earlier level of readiness than other counties this weekend. Tried hard but the basic hurling skills were a good way off where they were last year. Couldn't rise a ball, couldn't strike cleanly and quickly, couldn't take a sideline cut, couldn't pass the ball and hold onto it all day and the shooting and decision making was awful. Just were not as sharp as we were even early last year and nowhere near as sharp as any other county. Easy to say early days but all other counties maybe except WH were way ahead. Wasn't all bad though. At times the backs were excellent but once the ball was moving forward it was a disaster. Roddy was sharp but got very little ball as moon shots were chosen despite almost all wides getting blown across the same side of the goal.

Nice to see Cha back although he had a stinker. Same with Ciarán Collier who tried hard. Need two scoring corner forwards urgently but backs and Midfield look more settled.

I hope the emphasis in training changes to hurling sharpness fairly soon or we are in for worse hidings. Wexford only pulled away in the last 10 minutes and were only average until then.

Laois Rising

Smart move by Cheddar and the boys not showing their true potential yesterday. Have Wexford lulled into a false sense of security for the championship encounter later in the year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 10, 2021, 10:40:29 AM
Funny what people take out of a game.

For me, Laois were at a much earlier level of readiness than other counties this weekend. Tried hard but the basic hurling skills were a good way off where they were last year. Couldn't rise a ball, couldn't strike cleanly and quickly, couldn't take a sideline cut, couldn't pass the ball and hold onto it all day and the shooting and decision making was awful. Just were not as sharp as we were even early last year and nowhere near as sharp as any other county. Easy to say early days but all other counties maybe except WH were way ahead. Wasn't all bad though. At times the backs were excellent but once the ball was moving forward it was a disaster. Roddy was sharp but got very little ball as moon shots were chosen despite almost all wides getting blown across the same side of the goal.

Nice to see Cha back although he had a stinker. Same with Ciarán Collier who tried hard. Need two scoring corner forwards urgently but backs and Midfield look more settled.

I hope the emphasis in training changes to hurling sharpness fairly soon or we are in for worse hidings. Wexford only pulled away in the last 10 minutes and were only average until then.

Would agree with a lot of that, Laois were doing well, if not scoring, but that will improve, slightly less physical than Wexford, Laois looked tired with ten to go and Chin's introduction certainly lifted their pace, the soft goals in the first half when the keeper should have just stayed on his line put a different reflection on the game and it would have been a tighter game.

Losing a player didnt help also, we'd a player in the Antrim game that did the same tackle and stayed on the pitch and no penalty, that rule needs looked at
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Giovanni

I thought that the final score wasn't at all a reflection of the balance of the game. It is true of course that Wexford looked a little sharper (although to be honest, I didn't think they were any great shakes) and our shooting at times was bordering on the lunatic. There was too much running into tackles as mentioned earlier and probably not enough movement in the forward line.

But I do think that will improve. It's great to see PJ Scully in there and Cha and Collier back in the half forward line. We know there are much bigger performances in the likes of Paddy Purcell and Aaron Dunphy so overall I wouldn't be too despondent at this stage.

On our side, I thought the full back line was good (although they were often guilty of running into trouble with it) and Podge Delaney was excellent. Thought Fennell was very good in midfield too.

Ogie

Is it that big a job to release the correct team, it's only the league, going to throw out the same team every week now, supporters and starting players would appreciate correct announcements

Joeythelips

Decent showing in the first half, both teams pretty evenly matched. Dublin a bit physically stronger which gives them a slight edge.

Two brilliant points by Ross just before half time keeping Laois on Dublin's heels.