Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Quote from: NAG1 on September 18, 2020, 11:55:21 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 18, 2020, 11:34:28 AM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on September 18, 2020, 10:50:14 AM
I don't see much wrong with Michael McShanes suggestion of completing the provincial and All Ireland series in January and February as normally would be the case. What are others thoughts?

They ain't gonna listen to him alone, when all the club finals are completed in Leinster and Munster and the respective club title managers ( probably more high profile names) Start calling for it it could be looked at.

Maybe would listen to him if it was him with Ballycastle and they were Antrim champions, fact he is where he is weakens any point to be made.

Enlighen me, what exactly what are you getting at?

NAG1

Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 18, 2020, 01:05:45 PM
I don't see much wrong with Michael McShanes suggestion of completing the provincial and All Ireland series in January and February as normally would be the case. What are others thoughts?

They ain't gonna listen to him alone, when all the club finals are completed in Leinster and Munster and the respective club title managers ( probably more high profile names) Start calling for it it could be looked at.

Maybe would listen to him if it was him with Ballycastle and they were Antrim champions, fact he is where he is weakens any point to be made.

Not hard to understand.

If he was in Ballycastle coaching his own club, he would have more weight behind any argument he is putting forward.

Bronco

I'm not sure why he'd have any more weight in that scenario. You're conflating unrelated issues.

Milltown Row2

Most of the major top hurling clubs use outside managers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Quote from: NAG1 on September 18, 2020, 01:18:06 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 18, 2020, 01:05:45 PM

Not hard to understand.

If he was in Ballycastle coaching his own club, he would have more weight behind any argument he is putting forward.

What world do you live in ffs lol. For you to state it as 'fact' is even more bewildering.  Here's a fact, S'neil won the Ulster Club senior hurling title's as a result of S'neill identifying they hadn't the skill set in management in their club to get to that level. They identified Mc Shane as having that ability and he proved S'neils judgement as correct. They were a puck away from an All Ireland final last Autumn as a result of the upward trajectory under leadership.  As a result of being the manager of Sneil his opinion is respected.

north_antrim_hound

Slaughtneil are one of the highest profile clubs in Ireland atm but there manager wouldn't have the same influence as Henry shefflin ( ballyhale ). Anyway this Covid BS has gathered momentum again so it's feasibility ( club provincials ) is a moving target.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 18, 2020, 01:48:38 PM

Slaughtneil are one of the highest profile clubs in Ireland atm but there manager wouldn't have the same influence as Henry shefflin ( ballyhale ). Anyway this Covid BS has gathered momentum again so it's feasibility ( club provincials ) is a moving target.

The issues are completely related. The fact you want to look the other way on external managers is your issue.
For me I would respect it a lot more if he and his 'coaches' had stayed around and worked through a tough period for their own club.

If he had done so and made BC competitive then I would be more inclined to listen to his opinion. Hard to decipher the motivation of wanting the season extended when there are different outcomes for those involved.

Milltown Row2

Would love to see the club championships go ahead , in Newry last year S'Niel were so unlucky and if you look at Ballyhale again this year they still seem to be the team at the top so far, they managed to come back from the dead against the Village at the weekend, the quality they have is something else but S'neill last year were one team that pushed them to the end..

They may still have the edge over Dunloy in Ulster, but that tide will turn for sure..

Was McShane not managing his own club? Maybe felt there was no real buy in to his approach and he moved on, or was asked to go with another club..

Personally its very difficult to go back into managing your club with the same set of players you had before, same voice and same attitude ..

I'd wait till there was no one I'd managed before and then maybe look at it, coming back down to the juveniles before going back up again.

I don't think anyone can knock what he has done with that team , they are a top ten team in club hurling in Ireland
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

i think maybe hes getting at the fact that the Derry hurling championship isnt very competitive - well in the past lot of years it hasnt been - and theres only 8 clubs compete in the composition and realistically only 2 have a chance of getting the final/winning it.

Sneill are a fantastic hurling team and a side that are loaded with great hurlers but to the rest of Ireland they are still only from Derry and not one of the bigger hurling counties. For as great as they are they are still a side that nearly won a semi final once. If they had of chinned Ballyhale (which they could of done) then people might take Michael more serious.

As others have said you look at the other county finals that have come and gone in Wexford, Waterford etc and no one wanting the Club championship to keep going. These counties are more interested in competing for the Liam McCarthy Cup at this point.
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

It's obvious why he wants the season extended, the team he takes narrowly missed out on beating the all Ireland champs. He quite rightly wants another crack at the all Ireland. As for taking another club jeez your pissing on the wind on that one. Was just listening to Cheddar plunket there and he was taking James Stephens this year. So if a Laois man get take one of the top clubs in Kilkenny what's the problem. Did MmcS not take BS with limited results. Maybe that old addage "your never a prophet in your own land" applies here

Na Glinntí Glasa

i did wonder if he was to come back to BC would it help them?

They performed well this year in the championship and showed theres potential in the squad. if they can take a few more minors into their panel for the winter and next year and remain fully committed they can challenge again at senior level.

Tho judging by some of the video clips ive seen from the end of the minor match they would need to sort out some of the poor discipline in that batch
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=R4Sf3Ml72IQ

For what's its worth, the logic that we (Dunloy) aren't just ready for SG just yet does hold some water but I for one wouldn't mind a crack at them now

Na Glinntí Glasa

id love another go at them again to see where we are against them.

They are some outfit and you cant not admire them. From front to back they are all good players and physically strong as well.

I can understand why they would be disappointed in not having the club championship with how they finished last season. they would be favs to win ulster and wouldnt fear anyone in the semi finals.
hurl like f**k boi!

Jonkunlon

Loughgiel Camogs stepping it up a gear in the second half. Roisin McCormick running the show.

imtommygunn

She sounds to be a real good one. Loughgiel very dominant in Antrim but just have a formidable opponent in slaughtneil when it comes to Ulster.