New York v Ros 1st May.

Started by Rossfan, April 11, 2016, 08:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on May 02, 2016, 01:44:22 AM
We will forgive you for that idiotic statement seeing the nights thats in it.I think part of Roscommons problem is they start there championship training in November in order for them to stay in Division 1 of the league and when the championship does comes around they have no extra gears.Mayo done the same with JOM  and thankfully when Horan came in he changed all that.I know Ros want to be in Div. 1 but maybe they have got there too fast and are putting to much effort into the league

Silliest thing I've heard tonight is trying to link training with barely beating a team that apparently had a single 'competitive' match in the build-up to this game. We've had bad leagues and good leagues and produced performances of this level in recent years, there is feck all causality to be drawn from league performance. And we fairly wound things down early this year after we were safe too. Weird line-up v Mayo, same v Dublin and then no tempo at all v Kerry or NY. We probably started drifting off into the Summer earlier than any other team.

It has nothing to do with training and absolutely everything to do with mentality.

weareros

Heart in mouth stuff in Gaelic Park today. I thought our first performance there in 2006 under Maughan was dodgy even though we came away with something like a seven or eight point win, helped by a fortunate penalty.  Today I was expecting a comfortable win, especially given that it was a cold, wet day in New York and not the sweltering heat that Connacht counties have had to face before. It was Hyde Park weather really. We were hanging on for dear life in the end. This team don't do well when faced with a physical challenge - that was evident after the game with Mayo. They also don't do well in a tight pitch and are easily crowded out. Senan Kilbride came on at the end and scored a tremendous point from the sideline. I thought he was mad to try it at the time but we couldn't buy a score at that stage. It was the difference in the end. The New York goalie did pull off some spectacular saves but they had two great goal chances in the second half, including their last point which thankfully flew over the bar. Had that gone in, we were one down with time up and I doubt we'd have been able to go down and score an equaliser. McStay and O'Donnell will have a lot of thinking to do after this one. It's unfortunate that Conor Daly has left the panel for the year, we need more physical players like him, that can take the game to opposition. As I said before, we suffer from a terrible lack of height in the backs and there's a lot of consternation caused by this. Cathal Compton will be a great senior player, but he is currently too light for senior football, needs a year to develop, and we risk injuring him further playing him in physical dogfights like this. No disguising we are in big trouble in midfield. Expectations seriously dampened after this. However, for a neutral or NY supporter and there were lots of them in the crowd, it was a very exciting game and not the one-sided meaningless contest they are used to seeing.

GalwayBayBoy

How did the bould Johnny Glynn get on for NY? Has he even played football before? I presume he must have at a low level. They usually burst footballs around Ardrahan direction.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 28, 2016, 06:39:33 PM
New York manager confident of causing upset on Sunday.

http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/new-york-manager-justin-halloran-confident-they-can-scalp-the-rossies/

Didn't New York Leitrim go to extra time in 2003?

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2016, 07:23:35 PM
These lads don't be long turning into Yanks :o blowing bullshit.

hmm...

Fair play to NY for preparing hard for this game and giving it a right tilt, even though they would have been written by most as being bullshitters for claiming they could cause an upset (seriously, what would you expect him to say?!).

What would have happened had they won - would Leitrim have to head to NY or would they (NY) concede the game?

(edit: they being NY, not Leitrim)
Hasta la victoria siempre

Il Bomber Destro

I think the answer is a very simple one - Roscommon just aren't very good.

There's no pace in the team, they can't defend, they don't have a midfield and they have a tendency to rollover when their bellies are tickled.

The expectations regarding this team are absurd, there seems to be an arrogance to them that think they belong in the top bracket right now but come Championship they will go and get knocked out by a team they feel are beneath them. Loads of excuses at play but I think it's about time people stopped blowing steam up their arses and took on board the theory that Roscomon are just a mediocre team and their Championship form over the last three to four years will tell you exactly where they are.

I can't recall a county talking about winning or competing for AIs when they are as unfit for purpose as Roscommon are.

magpie seanie

Glad that Vinny played well. A terrible shame he was so badly treated by Carew that he is not in his rightful place - between the posts for Sligo. Hopefully we'll see him back in the black and white soon when Carew is gone.

orangeman

Roscommon were damned if beat NY by a cricket score and damned if they didn't.

Not much has changed. It's a a wake up call for Roscommon and a feather in NY's cap for giving them a fright. Roscommon will go home and regroup knowing that they have to perform better in order to lift Connacht which is now more of an expectation rather than a hope.

ashman

Would not be surprised if Rossies were in middle of some hard training .

mrdeeds

If Roscommon lost were they out all together? Seeing as no back door for New York would it be the same for whoever they beat?

BennyHarp

I can't imagine Roscommon will be too bothered about this, these things happen from time to time and the important thing is that they survived. I've no doubt that this result will have no baring on their championship performance where they will collapase meekly gainst the first decent team they play or the first team to put it up to them. This NYC game doesn't change anything!
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2016, 08:44:00 AM
Roscommon were damned if beat NY by a cricket score and damned if they didn't.

Not much has changed. It's a a wake up call for Roscommon and a feather in NY's cap for giving them a fright. Roscommon will go home and regroup knowing that they have to perform better in order to lift Connacht which is now more of an expectation rather than a hope.

No not really! Teams go over year on year and dish out hammerings to NY without even a whisper of talk of how well they will get on in the Championship after such a result. These games are forgotten unless NY ever managed to win.

Itchy

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 02, 2016, 08:43:21 AM
Glad that Vinny played well. A terrible shame he was so badly treated by Carew that he is not in his rightful place - between the posts for Sligo. Hopefully we'll see him back in the black and white soon when Carew is gone.

Did Carew exile him to the US? Do you want him to fly home 3 times a week for training?

BennyCake

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 02, 2016, 09:20:22 AM
If Roscommon lost were they out all together? Seeing as no back door for New York would it be the same for whoever they beat?

There'd have been a preliminary qualifier with one of the other 16 teams in the same boat.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Itchy on May 02, 2016, 10:37:20 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 02, 2016, 08:43:21 AM

Did Carew exile him to the US? Do you want him to fly home 3 times a week for training?

He kicked him off the panel for something that another player (currently starting on the team) was let do. Did it publicly in front of all the panel at a training session outside the county. I believe New York approached him to come out, he only went over in Jan/Feb.

Is that ok?

Rossfan

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 02, 2016, 09:20:22 AM
The Connacht Council would have been fairly decked if the unthinkable happened.
NY won't travel and Laythrum would hardly concede home advantage so they'd get a walkover.
The CC would lose out on the gate of a LM/RN game perhaps €200k gross
The farce of this whole circus !?.

We wouldn't be out if course.
Sure what would the GAAboard's resident ranting expert on Ros football have to post about?
AFL doping and "Free State" bashing can only get you so far.

Anyway we go on to the next Round - a Provincial quarter final no less- so we'll see how it goes.
Laythrum won't fear Ros of course!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM