Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2022, 12:39:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2022, 12:34:31 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 21, 2022, 12:07:15 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 21, 2022, 10:46:22 AM
Is it time for Kenny to go?
To be replaced by whom? A new manager would scarcely do any better, unless they revert to hoofball and pack the forward line with 6ft+ beanpoles. 'Climate change' has reduced the British mercenaries(*), on whom we relied so much for the last 40 years, to a trickle. It will take a good number of iterations before our home-produced players will be good enough to compete meaningfully with the continent's best.

* To think Kane, Grealish and Rice could all be playing for us.
If we were consistently good and far from mediocrity maybe they would be.
Or if we'd capped Grealish and Rice when we had the chance lol
Rice has 4 caps.Grealish refused a callup

AustinPowers

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2022, 12:39:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2022, 12:34:31 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 21, 2022, 12:07:15 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 21, 2022, 10:46:22 AM
Is it time for Kenny to go?
To be replaced by whom? A new manager would scarcely do any better, unless they revert to hoofball and pack the forward line with 6ft+ beanpoles. 'Climate change' has reduced the British mercenaries(*), on whom we relied so much for the last 40 years, to a trickle. It will take a good number of iterations before our home-produced players will be good enough to compete meaningfully with the continent's best.

* To think Kane, Grealish and Rice could all be playing for us.
If we were consistently good and far from mediocrity maybe they would be.
Or if we'd capped Grealish and Rice when we had the chance lol

But Rice wouldn't have been able to belt out  GSTK so patriotically had  that happened

Itchy

I'd rather be shit that have 2 cnuts like Rice and Grealis play for us. I look forward to see them bawling when the inevitable happens.

Captain Scarlet

Again it's hoofball as the only alternative to Kenny.
We are NOT a good team to watch we do NOT play wonderful football.

I have asked repeatedly here. What is our attacking plan? I don't see a style.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

From the Bunker

We have looked at a lot of players at this stage! Probably too many as we are completely confused as to our strongest side. Bringing lads in and out weakens structures and creates a lack of consistency. Players need to grow into positions, style of play.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on November 21, 2022, 11:25:55 PM

Hoofball is not the only alternative. Progressive passing is an alternative. I don't know who the alternative manager is but Kennys win rate is awful. Sticking with him because there is no alternative is not a reason to stick with him.

themac_23

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 22, 2022, 08:29:49 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on November 21, 2022, 11:25:55 PM

Hoofball is not the only alternative. Progressive passing is an alternative. I don't know who the alternative manager is but Kennys win rate is awful. Sticking with him because there is no alternative is not a reason to stick with him.

Exactly, there seems to be this case of if you dont want us playing the way we are playing then you want hoof ball, complete nonsense. there's a middle ground and thats where Ireland should be, we dont have the squad for the way Kenny wants to play, he has shown he cant change so we need a change. the interest in the national team really is at an all time low, something needs to change, we cannot give Kenny another qualification campaign

seafoid

RTE

"The emergence of Erling Haaland should see Norway move above mid-table mediocrity over the coming years in a similar way to how players like Christian Eriksen and Gareth Bale helped Denmark and Wales move into that comfort zone just below the European heavyweights."

The BIG are circling the mediocre zone. It's not Kenny's fault. The problem is the system and it's linked to how the LoI teams perform in Europe.

The only way to improve the long-term prospects of the BIG now that the Premiership option is closed is to invest in grassroots coaching and build from the back. Support the talent, develop quality players who are good enough to play in the top leagues, strengthen the LoI and have enough decent players to drag the national team to that comfort zone. Euro qualification would be a cinch.

The model to follow is women's boxing or women's soccer or the Offaly underage hurlers. Mol an Óige agus tiocfaidh sí
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/1208/1340716-fai-fined-20k-for-ireland-teams-dressing-room-song/

The FAI have been fined €20,000 by UEFA for 'violating rules of decent conduct' due to singing that took place in the dressing room after the national team's World Cup play-off win against Scotland in October.

seafoid

in terms of learnings, you do need a striker, unlike Canada and Spain so the FAI are not alone in this. 
Germany also retained their manager after a poor showing, which won't have gone unnoticed in Abbotstown.
Italy didn't qualify and there is no shame in that. But you do need a striker if you have loads of draws. 
Also, the qualifying route is treacherous. The only way is to top the group.

Why don't we just have Irish lads in all the development squads, and then we are at least developing people that are guaranteed to play for us, and then we'll pick up the brits that aren't good enough for England anyway. I couldn't care less if grealish or rice played for us anyway, I'd rather see lads it means something to playing.

BrotherMore6592

Itchy

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on December 09, 2022, 01:36:45 AM
Leyton orient would give COYBIG a game

That's a very insightful post. COYBIG stands for Come on you boys in Green - its not a team or a country. I am not overly familiar with Leyton Orient, perhaps you could tell us all a bit about them and why they would compete with an international team.

seafoid

That'll go down well in Uruguay and Argentina as well as a few other countries.