American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

College Basketball is 10 times the spectacle of the NBA in my mind. The NBA is all about the big men, the quick break and the slam dunk. College basketball is much more about the fundementals. Passing, half court offense and rebounding.

As a spectacle, with the fans and all, I think the College game is very watchable, whereas the NBA is only good in the last 5 minutes.

AZOffaly

Anyone interested in doing Fantasy Baseball on ESPN?

Mayo4Sam

What about the yahoo one? Accounts set up and all that
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 22, 2010, 07:21:25 PM
College Basketball is 10 times the spectacle of the NBA in my mind. The NBA is all about the big men, the quick break and the slam dunk. College basketball is much more about the fundementals. Passing, half court offense and rebounding.

As a spectacle, with the fans and all, I think the College game is very watchable, whereas the NBA is only good in the last 5 minutes.

Absolutely spot on AZ.

The tournament is the best American sporting event bar none, to me the only thing that comes close is the Stanley cup playoffs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

ESPN to show Monday Night Football next season.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Carmen Stateside

Just happened to be watching the start of a Yankee pre-season game against the Twins just now.  First batter comes up for the Twins, Spam think his name is, well the third or fourth ball thrown to him he line drives it into the crowd and hits his mum square on in the bake. Not very funny at the time but reports are she is fine.

Carmen Stateside

Donovan Mc Nabb traded by Eagles to the Washington Redskins.  Eagles get a couple of trade picks in return. 

Club Rossa

As a Redskins fan,i'm happy with that move.Jason Campbell has been disappointing in the last few seasons though the offensive line offered him little or no protection.In saying that,Campbell always struggled under pressure in close games and had no composure.
McNabb has a few good years left in him and should improve an offense that has struggled in recent times.

Good win for the Red Sox last night over the evil empire,no better a way to start the season.

Family guy

Hows the nba shaping up??Lost track of it from came back here

RMDrive

Quote from: Family guy on April 05, 2010, 10:24:36 AM
Hows the nba shaping up??Lost track of it from came back here

There's still a ridiculously long 82 game regular season before the playoffs start which means you can easily igore it for a few months in the winter and come back without having missed too much!!
Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta, Miami and Boston are all going well in the East. Lakers, Dallas, Denver and Utah are in the lead in the West. It's all looking like a LBJ/Kobe final. The Celtics are past it and Kobe will beat all the west has to offer on his own.

Family guy

Must try get back in2 it but hard with the time zones,is big shaq helping lebron much these days,prob need him to get past orlando,casnt write off the celtics,havent watched them but with rondo and allen in the team they scary good

RMDrive

Quote from: Family guy on April 05, 2010, 11:38:37 AM
Must try get back in2 it but hard with the time zones,is big shaq helping lebron much these days,prob need him to get past orlando,casnt write off the celtics,havent watched them but with rondo and allen in the team they scary good

Shaq is doing ok. He seems to be comfortable in his bench role. I think Dwight Howard doesn't have enough support around him to challenge the Cavs.
As for the Celtics, I don't rate them this year at all. Rondo is a good young player but doesn't have the experience to make him a truely great PG yet. Allen and Garnett have too many miles on the clock. Pierce is a good player but won't be able to go toe to toe with Lebron.
Lakers Cavs final I reckon.

magickingdom

Quote from: Club Rossa on April 05, 2010, 09:16:52 AM
As a Redskins fan,i'm happy with that move.Jason Campbell has been disappointing in the last few seasons though the offensive line offered him little or no protection.In saying that,Campbell always struggled under pressure in close games and had no composure.
McNabb has a few good years left in him and should improve an offense that has struggled in recent times.

Good win for the Red Sox last night over the evil empire,no better a way to start the season.

dont you mean the 2009 ws champions? ;) great to have baseball back, if any of ye have iphones the mba has a great app, scores and video highlights on tap. called 'at bat' and the free version has everything youll ever need

Club Rossa

I think Evil Empire sounds better to me :)

thejuice

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 05, 2010, 02:48:52 AM
Donovan Mc Nabb traded by Eagles to the Washington Redskins.  Eagles get a couple of trade picks in return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVEWO_rv-S4&feature=player_embedded    :D
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016