American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Just catching up. #1 georgia and #3 ND soundly beaten and #2 Bama and #4 Clemson just about won. There's something about Miami, their history, the swag, the turnover chain etc that I love. Great chance now to get to the final 4. They'll have clemson for the ACC title and the winners of that will be in anyway. Auburn are another to watch - I can see them working their way in.

I'll call the last 4 as Alabama, Miami, Auburn and oklahoma

stew

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2017, 12:40:31 PM
Quote from: stew on November 12, 2017, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on November 12, 2017, 06:08:18 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2017, 12:12:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 05:04:13 PM
People attributed Chris Benoit's crimes to steroids at first but head injuries seems far more likely a cause. It doesn't do anything to exonerate Hernandez but it does help explain it and if anything makes it even more tragic.

When you see Tom Brady's wife slipping up and disclosing he had concussions that were never reported,  and him being both at the most protected position in football and totally financially secure, can you imagine what the lad with a vet minimum contract and no guaranteed money will do to avoid being reported for a head injury?

Could it NOT affect his guilt though? His diminished control of impulses, rage, decision making etc., after all, are directly related to what he did. It's not like he got coked up and did it. He had an undiagnosed disease which unfortunately can only be detected post mortem. This stuff is going to pose difficulties for the justice system in the future, whether it's athletes or combat veterans or whatever. "My client had X number of severe concussions. We fear he may have brain disease and cannot be proven, conclusively, beyond all doubt, to be fully responsible".

If the case studies and research are there, how can the justice system ignore it? But if and individual can only be proven to be a sufferer post mortem...?
I think you're right J70. Like a mentally ill person who commits a crime it's impossible to know how much control or rational choice was there. Would any of the damage have shown up on a brain scan? Might be a legal defense if it did. I heard Alan Shearer talking about going for a brain scan to check for damage as part of the documentary about brain injury in soccer(mainly from the pov of heading a ball i think) that will be aired tonight.

Not sure if combat veterans sustain many concussions nowadays.  ;) You might have been thinking of BA Baracas.

Wisconsin powering on, what do they have to do to get in, strength of schedule poor but they beat the 25th ranked team yesterday like they were a D3 team..

ND finished for the playoffs, Bama drop, surely the Badgers deserve a spot at this stage.

Alabama won on the road in the SEC against the #16 team in the nation.

They did, I now that, they just got over the line and have lost that air of invincibility they had, Wisconsin are still undefeated and steamrolled the 25th ranked team, Georgia actually lost as well, how the hell do the Badgers not get in?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Right, Bears V Pack, if the pack can win this one against all the odds Da Bears  do still suck

gallsman

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation, eh Syf?

Morals? Tell me about Auburn's recruitment of Cam again.

FL/MAYO

I was at the Miami game last night, my ears are still ringing it was so loud in there. Adding the roof to the stadium had made a big difference to the atmosphere. Looks like the Canes are back finally!!

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2017, 03:48:26 PM
Nothing like a sweeping generalisation, eh Syf?

Morals? Tell me about Auburn's recruitment of Cam again.

I don't remember Chiznik covering up any serial pedophiles on his staff. Must have missed that part.

Trying to compare recruitment (that every big program engages in, let's be fûcking honest) to what happened at Penn State is absolutely abhorrent.

The response to the scandal by vast swathes of Penn State alumni and general fan-base left almost as bitter a taste in the mouth. They're falling over themselves to try to normalize Paterno's legacy already.

Capt Pat

Another big win for the vikings today on the road in Washington. Keenum had a big game at quarterback with 4 touchdowns and 300 yards passing. It keeps them ahead of the chasing packers and lions by 2 games.

omochain

Shock... the 49er's are working hard to lose pole position in next years draft. Who said winning is everything.

stew

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 12, 2017, 11:02:44 PM
Another big win for the vikings today on the road in Washington. Keenum had a big game at quarterback with 4 touchdowns and 300 yards passing. It keeps them ahead of the chasing packers and lions by 2 games.

Handiest NFC title they will ever win, as long as they dont win it all I will be happy enough, oh and da bears still suck!

Oraisteach

All right! With the 49ers' win, our #1 pick in the draft is secure.  Go Browns!

Minder

Quote from: Oraisteach on November 13, 2017, 08:29:57 PM
All right! With the 49ers' win, our #1 pick in the draft is secure.  Go Browns!

Probably trade it away !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

And after them:

7. Georgia (9-1)
8. Notre Dame (8-2)
9. Ohio State (8-2)
10. Penn State (8-2)

Some key match-ups ahead including

Clemson vs Miami
TCU (ranked 12) vs Oklahoma
Wisconsin vs Michigan and then Ohio State
Ohio State vs Michigan and then Wisconsin
Auburn vs Alabama and then perhaps Georgia
Notre Dame vs Stanford

AZOffaly

My outside bet is still on. If Alabama beat Auburn in two weeks, and then beat Georgia in the SEC game, Alabama will be number 1. (If Auburn wins that game, it's carnage because they'd have to be in as a 2 loss SEC champion assuming they beat Georgia again).

I think Oklahoma are in if they win out.

The winners of Miami-Clemson (assuming Clemson don't shite the bed against South Carolina this weekend) will be in, but I don't think both will be when all is said and done.

And if Ohio State win out,and beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 game, I can see them sneaking in again.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on November 12, 2017, 03:33:44 PM
Right, Bears V Pack, if the pack can win this one against all the odds Da Bears  do still suck

Very disappointing from Da Bears. Really expected them to win this one.