American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Well, I guess that'll allow the Browns to draft and develop a QB without having to throw him into the flames. 

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 25, 2016, 08:11:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 25, 2016, 04:46:46 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on March 24, 2016, 06:34:57 PM
And the Browns sign RGIII.  johnny's circus just left town, and now a 3-ring circus has arrived to replace it.  Well, at least the media focus will still be on Cleveland....

In fairness RG3 is a lot more grounded than Manziel who looks a JaMarcus level bust now.

RG3 should be fully fit after sitting out the year and will know this is his best chance to make it as a starter again so he should be very focused. Browns have nothing to lose,  they're shite and if him and Gordon break out they could be as effective a pairing as the New Browns have seen.

Hopefully Goodell isn't a total ass and reinstates Gordon next week, a year out for liking wacky bacy in an age of PEDs is beyond ridculous.

It is really bizarre the way they take such a heavy-handed approach to recreational drugs and almost condone PEDs. I wonder if it's to do with appealing to the conservative bible-bashers that make up a lot of their fanbase?

RG3 has as much left to offer as Peyton Manning does. I thought some desperate team might take him as a back-up but I'm surprised that the Browns have taken him as a starter, which seems to be the case. He didn't play last season and the season before was imo the worst quarterback in the league. Everything he did before the injury is irrelevant.

Wouldn't be so negative. He's had the bones of two years to sit and stew. That can make or break a player, there's many cases of players coming into their own later in their careers. For the relatively low risk price the Browns paid it's a smart move. It takes a long time for someone to get right from such a serious cruciate injury and sitting out an entire year might have been a blessing in disguise for RG3.

Hue Jackson wouldn't have took him if he didn't see potential in him.

stew

Quote from: Syferus on March 25, 2016, 08:47:16 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on March 25, 2016, 08:11:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 25, 2016, 04:46:46 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on March 24, 2016, 06:34:57 PM
And the Browns sign RGIII.  johnny's circus just left town, and now a 3-ring circus has arrived to replace it.  Well, at least the media focus will still be on Cleveland....

In fairness RG3 is a lot more grounded than Manziel who looks a JaMarcus level bust now.

RG3 should be fully fit after sitting out the year and will know this is his best chance to make it as a starter again so he should be very focused. Browns have nothing to lose,  they're shite and if him and Gordon break out they could be as effective a pairing as the New Browns have seen.

Hopefully Goodell isn't a total ass and reinstates Gordon next week, a year out for liking wacky bacy in an age of PEDs is beyond ridculous.

It is really bizarre the way they take such a heavy-handed approach to recreational drugs and almost condone PEDs. I wonder if it's to do with appealing to the conservative bible-bashers that make up a lot of their fanbase?

RG3 has as much left to offer as Peyton Manning does. I thought some desperate team might take him as a back-up but I'm surprised that the Browns have taken him as a starter, which seems to be the case. He didn't play last season and the season before was imo the worst quarterback in the league. Everything he did before the injury is irrelevant.

Wouldn't be so negative. He's had the bones of two years to sit and stew. That can make or break a player, there's many cases of players coming into their own later in their careers. For the relatively low risk price the Browns paid it's a smart move. It takes a long time for someone to get right from such a serious cruciate injury and sitting out an entire year might have been a blessing in disguise for RG3.

Hue Jackson wouldn't have took him if he didn't see potential in him.

They are the browns, born to fail and rRG3is done like dinner, the browns might win four games, might.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

I wonder how much damage to RGIIIs career Mike Shanahan did on that playoff game? I said at the time it was borderline negligence.

RGIII is a far better bet, if he is healthy, than Johnny Manziel, and I wouldn't be surprised if he made some sort of a fist of this, but it is hard to win with the Browns.

Oraisteach

Ah, come on AZ.  Hope springs eternal.  Tiocfaidh ar la, or something to that effect.

AZOffaly

I was rereading a few old discussions on this thread. I think this is one of, if not the, best threads on the board for debate and discussion. It rarely gets personal or defensive, and I suppose a lot of that is because a lot of people are interested, but not a whole lot are emotionally invested the way we are with our GAA teams etc. Mind you, I would put my allegiance to the Cardinals up quite high :)

MLB season is just around the corner as well as March Madness Final Four. We actually have a 10 seed (Syracuse) in the final four as 3 of the 4 #1 seeds were knocked out at the elite 8 stage. Kansas fell to #2 Villanova, Oregon were handled by #2 Oklahoma, and Syracuse took care of Virginia. Only North Carolina remain as a #1 seed, having beaten Notre Dame in the elite 8.

UNC play Syracuse and Oklahoma play Villanova in the final four, and the championship game will be on Monday. My money's on Oklahoma at this stage I think.

Baseball spring training is drawing to a close, and Opening Day is officially April 3rd, with the Cardinals playing the Pirates, the Rays and the Blue Jays, and the champion Royals against the runner up from 2015, the New York Mets.

It's always a nice feeling when Baseball starts up, as it's a real sign of summer coming down the road, so go Diamondbacks!

declan85

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 30, 2016, 11:51:27 AM
I was rereading a few old discussions on this thread. I think this is one of, if not the, best threads on the board for debate and discussion. It rarely gets personal or defensive, and I suppose a lot of that is because a lot of people are interested, but not a whole lot are emotionally invested the way we are with our GAA teams etc. Mind you, I would put my allegiance to the Cardinals up quite high :)

MLB season is just around the corner as well as March Madness Final Four. We actually have a 10 seed (Syracuse) in the final four as 3 of the 4 #1 seeds were knocked out at the elite 8 stage. Kansas fell to #2 Villanova, Oregon were handled by #2 Oklahoma, and Syracuse took care of Virginia. Only North Carolina remain as a #1 seed, having beaten Notre Dame in the elite 8.

UNC play Syracuse and Oklahoma play Villanova in the final four, and the championship game will be on Monday. My money's on Oklahoma at this stage I think.

Baseball spring training is drawing to a close, and Opening Day is officially April 3rd, with the Cardinals playing the Pirates, the Rays and the Blue Jays, and the champion Royals against the runner up from 2015, the New York Mets.

It's always a nice feeling when Baseball starts up, as it's a real sign of summer coming down the road, so go Diamondbacks!

I think im going to give the fantasy baseball a go this year, I can barely name any players outside of the Blue Jays so it'll be a difficult learning experience.
Has anyone else done it before? Any tips?

Gabriel_Hurl

The Diamondbacks loaded up this past off-season - they will put in a good effort this year.

Not sure about their new uniforms though  ;)

Boycey

I spent much of the last 2 weeks in New York and Toronto and was genuinely surprised by how big the whole March Madness thing is, it was unescapable. I attended a function with my in-laws on St Patricks Day and was shocked to hear elderly Irish people discussing it with such knowledge and in such depth...

I caught a Raptors game while in Toronto and enjoyed the whole experience but the game itself was a bit meh!!!!! The Raptors are 2nd in the Eastern Conference but from the local tv up there and any locals I spoke to there didn't seem much expectation of much of a run in the play-offs??

Gabriel_Hurl

They've only ever won 1 playoff series in their history. People here try not to get too carried away with things as Toronto sports teams usually let them down in the worst ways imaginable.

gallsman

Three teams can win the title; the Warriors, Spurs and Cavs and really it's the Warriors' to lose. Toronto have been decent for a few seasons and have some good players in Lowry and DeRozan, both of whom were all stars this year. Unfortunately, they don't have a hope of beating the Cavs over seven games.

gawa316

Quote from: gallsman on March 30, 2016, 05:23:33 PM
Three teams can win the title; the Warriors, Spurs and Cavs and really it's the Warriors' to lose. Toronto have been decent for a few seasons and have some good players in Lowry and DeRozan, both of whom were all stars this year. Unfortunately, they don't have a hope of beating the Cavs over seven games.

I don't see the Cav's having a chance against the Spurs or Warriors. The only way they are in the equation is cause they can't meet either of them until the finals.

Warriors seem to stumbling along at the minute, not really setting the world a light. This Bulls record is taking it's toll, whilst Pop rests all his starters and they'll be raring to go in the play offs

Linkbox

Quote from: declan85 on March 30, 2016, 12:06:53 PM

I think im going to give the fantasy baseball a go this year, I can barely name any players outside of the Blue Jays so it'll be a difficult learning experience.
Has anyone else done it before? Any tips?

I've done it. Bit of a slog but it depends how involved you want to be. Constantly waiting for players to become available to trade is a pain. Good points as well. Gives you an interest in other teams that you may not have had.

Can't wait for the new season. Contemplating buying mlb.tv as most streams are brutal. Go Cubs Go!

Minder

Kaepernick to the Broncos, and they thought Manning was inaccurate  ;D
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

Nova just blew out Oklahoma. More than 40 points. Didnt see that coming. Nor did anyone else.
Holy crap!

Now i dont think Syracuse have a prayer, but after that anything is possible. As an Armagh man, go Orange!
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity