American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

And, of course, the Browns fire the coach and GM, our seasonal ritual, making, once again, the high point of our year the NFL draft.

Does that mean that Johnny Football is destined to join the legion of ex-Browns QBs in the not so distant future?

Gmac

Tomsula fired by niners don't know what they expected of him with depleted roster from previous years , hope he gets contract paid in full and it exposes jeb as a complete gobshite again .

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 04, 2016, 12:11:28 AM
Peyton Manning back in and playing really well so far.

5/9 for 69 yards. No TDs. I don't get how that is being played as Manning sparking the Broncos to a win. What it tells me is that it would be mad to play a half-fit 40 year-old over a QB that's been at least competent if the Broncos intend to try to win games in the play-offs as opposed to giving Manning a teary-eyed send-off.

AZOffaly

He did a few intangibles though Syferus, such as getting the Chargers to jump offsides, and also audibling to run plays when he recognised the defenses. He's still clever in that sort of sphere. I think Osweiler got shafted there though. As soon as Manning was activated it was only a matter of time before he was put in, and now the Broncos have a distraction they don't need.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 04, 2016, 12:23:43 PM
He did a few intangibles though Syferus, such as getting the Chargers to jump offsides, and also audibling to run plays when he recognised the defenses. He's still clever in that sort of sphere. I think Osweiler got shafted there though. As soon as Manning was activated it was only a matter of time before he was put in, and now the Broncos have a distraction they don't need.

I watched a good bit of him last night and he looked much better than he has for a while, especially making plays from under center which he doesn't like. He hit a couple of smart throws and it made the defence try to adjust and then BOOM - the running game opened up big time. I've always thought that was one of his great skills - taking the cheap yards with the run game when the defence backed off due to fear of him throwing. That has been lost for a while. Maybe his layoff has cleared up other ailments and he can be good again? We'll see. Either way I think he's a better bet than Osweiler who has been decent but no more than that.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 04, 2016, 12:23:43 PM

The narrative is helped by Osweiler's turnovers but most of them weren't his fault!

Quite a bizarre weekend in terms of the wildcards. Seattle were the team nobody wanted until last week's slump, then they go out there and annihilate the Cards like that. I don't think there was any complacency or anything from the Cards either - they only properly quit once the game was long since gone from them. Seattle could still very well come out of the NFC. The Steelers/Jets scenario was laughable. Anyone other than the Browns and the Steelers might well have lost that game. They didn't look great at all and after last week's mess against the Ravens, you have to fancy Cinci to actually win a playoff game for once.

Declan

QuoteMaybe his layoff has cleared up other ailments and he can be good again?

Or maybe it's his recovery medication ;) ;) ;)

AZOffaly

gallsman, the Cards were absolutely off the boil last night. If the Seahawks and Cardinals meet again, it will not look like that. Arizona is notorious for not getting up for games like that, and all week the noises from the camp were that training was lackadaisical and poor. Add in the mental errors, dropped passes etc, and I think that, while they didn't go out to lose in any way, they were not nearly at the level of intensity they need when you are playing a good team.

Seattle will be a nightmare now, but the good thing for Arizona with the way the seedings have worked out, is they won't see them again until the NFC Championship game, should both get that far. Arizona will play the best seeded winner, so even if Seattle beat Minnesota, which I expect them to, The Cards would play the winners of Green Bay and Washington. If Minnesota win, they'll play the Vikings.

Carolina must be thinking thanks very much!

gallsman

Oh no doubt it won't look anything like that, but after last week, I (and I imagine a lot of others) would have had the Cards inevitably winning a theoretical playoff matchup quite handily and said the NFC was a Carolina/Cards toss up. Now I'm not so sure.

AZOffaly

Jaysus, I never thought that!! :)

cadhlancian

Seattle are definitely running into form at the right time, but look what tHey did last week at home to the Rams? To be honest, the odds are severely stacked against them. They will have to win on the road against the Vikings, maybe the Packers and possibly Arizona or Carolina. Tall order.

magpie seanie

Quote from: heganboy on January 04, 2016, 01:50:32 AM
Quote from: Clov on January 04, 2016, 01:11:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that if the Vikings lose they'll play GB again and Seattle will play Washington.
Thats correct

Packers must have wanted to lose judging by some of their play last night.

Gabriel_Hurl

Coach Coughlin steps down in New York

Quote"I met with John Mara and Steve Tisch this afternoon, and I informed them that it is in the best interest of the organization that I step down as head coach. I strongly believe the time is right for me and my family, and as I said, the Giants organization.

"It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as head coach of the New York Football Giants. This is a not a sad occasion for me. I have spent 15 years with this organization as an assistant and head coach and was fortunate to be part of three Super Bowl winning teams. A Lombardi Trophy every five years is an achievement in which we all take great pride.

"Obviously, the past three years have not been what any of us expect, and as head coach, I accept the responsibility for those seasons.

"I think it has been evident these last 12 years here how much pride I take in representing this franchise. I am gratified and proud that we were able to deliver two more Lombardi trophies to the display case in our lobby during that time. That is a tribute to our players and staff, and it was truly fulfilling to be the leader of those teams.

"I appreciate the support of John and his family and Steve and his family, and of Jerry Reese and his staff. I think our organization is a great representation of what I mean when I talk about 'team'.

"Finally, I would be remiss if I did not thank my wife Judy and our four children and their spouses and our 11 (soon to be 12) grandchildren. None of this would have been possible without their unconditional love and support."

Minder

Wonder is that him retired ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Clov

Quote from: Gmac on January 04, 2016, 05:36:30 AM
Tomsula fired by niners don't know what they expected of him with depleted roster from previous years , hope he gets contract paid in full and it exposes jeb as a complete gobshite again .

Tomsula was completely out of his depth from the very beginning.

Since Navarro Bowman got his knee blown up in the NFC championship game 2 years ago it seems like everything that could have gone wrong for the niners has gone wrong. Notwithstanding all the misfortune they have suffered, one thing is clear - the ownership are idiots. To run a coach out of town that went 44-19 in 4 years and to replace him with someone as painfully overmatched as Tomsula, is the height of arrogance.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"