American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on January 21, 2015, 10:00:23 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on January 21, 2015, 09:50:42 PM
Tbh lads, the media have f**k all to talk about this week! Nothing on! Spy gate in my eyes was a pantomime also. The Pats record since spy gate is actually better than it was before it. Also, Hall of Fame coaches ( and SB winners) Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher are on RECORD saying that did the same thing Belichick did.
This current situation is no doubt embarrassing for the Pats. Technically illegal , but I just drove down the 805 doing 90. Good TV though 8)

Breaking rules is breaking rules. What's most disconcerting here is the clear designed intent to break the rules rather than if it effected the result or not, which is the straw man a lot of Patriots defenders seem to be setting up. For the same team to be caught like this twice in less than a decade speaks to the Patriots' values on an institutional level.

The same could be said with regards to demanding money in response for commitment to a particular university. People tend to look past these things or do a half arsed investigation where the star gets away with things.

maigheo

In the regular season game v the colts, Jonas Gray rushed for 201 yards and 4 touchdowns.The following week he stood on the line and never got in the game because he showed up late for practice on friday.No messing around with Belichick and that is one of the reasons he has been so successful.For me he is the best coach ever and I don't even like him

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on January 21, 2015, 10:19:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 21, 2015, 10:00:23 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on January 21, 2015, 09:50:42 PM
Tbh lads, the media have f**k all to talk about this week! Nothing on! Spy gate in my eyes was a pantomime also. The Pats record since spy gate is actually better than it was before it. Also, Hall of Fame coaches ( and SB winners) Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher are on RECORD saying that did the same thing Belichick did.
This current situation is no doubt embarrassing for the Pats. Technically illegal , but I just drove down the 805 doing 90. Good TV though 8)

Breaking rules is breaking rules. What's most disconcerting here is the clear designed intent to break the rules rather than if it effected the result or not, which is the straw man a lot of Patriots defenders seem to be setting up. For the same team to be caught like this twice in less than a decade speaks to the Patriots' values on an institutional level.

The same could be said with regards to demanding money in response for commitment to a particular university. People tend to look past these things or do a half arses investigation where the star here away with things.

Comparing mostly poor college athletes (the whole topic of properly financially rewarding college athletes that are cash cows for their insituations is another massive debate in itself) with an NFL franchise floating in a boat of money, success and cozy relationships with ruling bodies (Goodell is a known personal friend of Robert Kraft) is a bit like comparing a tennis ball with a golf ball because they're both round.

Oraisteach

Hey, Syf, looks like your Auburn Tigers are going to go on a recruiting run before signing day.  Word has it they may have flipped Torrence Gipson (sp?), Ohio State's top QB commit.  Guess he felt the QB arena was getting a little crowded With Cardale Jones returning to Columbus.  Grrrr to those Tigers!

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 22, 2015, 02:56:48 AM
Hey, Syf, looks like your Auburn Tigers are going to go on a recruiting run before signing day.  Word has it they may have flipped Torrence Gipson (sp?), Ohio State's top QB commit.  Guess he felt the QB arena was getting a little crowded With Cardale Jones returning to Columbus.  Grrrr to those Tigers!

Might be best for the lad with all the QB talent Meyer has now, with Barrett only a redshirt freshman any new freshmen coming in could have some wait ahead of them to start at OSU.

Malzahn's offensive system is excellent at production, it's so hard for defences to game-plan against even with two years of tape of him doing it at Auburn, longer if you include his time under Gene Cizik. It's a good showcase for any player - Cam was drafted #1 overall from it, Greg Robinson #2 overall, Tre Mason was drafted in the third round (and had a very good rookie season), Sammie Coates and Marshall are drawing plenty of NFL interest. On that topic, I'm interested to see what becomes of Marshall, excellent athlete but the lad's passing (throwing motion etc) probably isn't something that'll win over many NFL scouts. He's been prepping for the draft as a DB as well as a QB so he seems willing to switch positions, indeed he will play in the Senior Bowl this week as a DB.

Alabama's Blake Sims is in a similar spot, he may have to switch positions to make it at the next level. Makes for some interesting storylines ahead of the draft.

I just hope Muschamp has a big effect on defensive recruits, Auburn need to shore up the secondary badly.

Oraisteach

And Josh Gordon fails yet another drug test--well, a huge pay day up in smoke, it seems.

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 25, 2015, 09:31:24 PM
And Josh Gordon fails yet another drug test--well, a huge pay day up in smoke, it seems.

Nice.

Minder

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 25, 2015, 09:31:24 PM

Aye, alcohol this time. I would say he will be out of the league after this.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

Alcohol? So, there's his career down the drain.

Mind you, I wonder how many county teams would be able to field a team if their players were tested for alcohol.

Minder

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 25, 2015, 10:35:24 PM
Alcohol? So, there's his career down the drain.

Mind you, I wonder how many county teams would be able to field a team if their players were tested for alcohol.

It's because he had a DUI on his record, alcohol was one of the "drugs" they where testing for. Harsh but I am sure he was well aware what he could take/drink etc.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

At only 25 when the suspension expires and with his numbers someone will offer him at least a one-year deal at the minimum when he's available.

magpie seanie

It just beggars belief what Gordon has done. Millions of people have to drudge through life and he has a golden ticket to riches and he can't stop smoking dope or drinking for a few short years. Syf is probably right - someone will take a chance on him again but he doesn't deserve it.

RealSpiritof98

God forbid anyone having an issue that us mere mortals might encounter in real life. The NFL is becoming a PC ridden nanny state like organisation. The lad had a drink ffs, now i know he wasn't supposed to be drinking and that entirely his fault but f**king hell he's hardly Aaron Hernandez.

AZOffaly

I think Goodell is a ****, and is almost the embodiment of everything that is wrong with corporate America. Everything is about the brand, the 'shield', and common sense or decency seem to go out the window. Hence the stupid fines for lads just enjoying themselves with celebrations, Marshawn Lynch being threatened with a fine for wearing gold boots etc. Contrast that with the handling of the Ray Rice thing, something that was genuinely a serious issue, and they tried to sweep it under the carpet until the publicity came out, and then they threw Rice under the bus.

Goodell, and his big red glowing head, annoy me, and I feel sorry for Gordon under those circumstances.

*HOWEVER* Gordon really needs a kick up in the arse. Draconian and all as the penalty is, he knew what the story was and what he was or was not allowed to do and he went and did it anyway. That's stupid on his behalf.

magpie seanie

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 26, 2015, 01:55:15 PM
God forbid anyone having an issue that us mere mortals might encounter in real life. The NFL is becoming a PC ridden nanny state like organisation. The lad had a drink ffs, now i know he wasn't supposed to be drinking and that entirely his fault but f**king hell he's hardly Aaron Hernandez.

I'd imagine this guy has been afforded all the best care possible to help him with his issue, unlike "us mere mortals". Sympathy is misplaced on this guy, he is extremely privileged. I know smoking dope and drinking alcohol are not murder but he knows the rules he has signed up to.

Looks like someone forgot to tell JJ Watt that the NFL is about offensive players and QB's in particular. He actually tried in the Pro Bowl!