American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Looks like three titles in three career starts for Cardale Jones.

Oraisteach

CHAMPIONS! Led by the back-up to the back-up. And with four turnovers. Brilliant.

cadhlancian

Where does Braxton Miller go from here? Surely he won't be back for his final year. Bizarre to think about it, but how would he come back in and start now? I don't ever remember a college football team having such a nice dilemma ...

Oraisteach

Depends on his health, I suppose.

cadhlancian

Even if he came back 100% healthy! One into three doesn't go....

AZOffaly

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 13, 2015, 05:12:34 AM
Where does Braxton Miller go from here? Surely he won't be back for his final year. Bizarre to think about it, but how would he come back in and start now? I don't ever remember a college football team having such a nice dilemma ...

Florida State. He's the only one that can transfer because he's a post grad. Transfer and play I mean. Well done Buckeyes. Delighted for them, and for the committee in fairness. Sickened for Oregon and the pac-12 but the harsh reality is Oregon have slipped up every year and that's just not going to get it done. They are in real danger of being passed out by the SoCal teams next year, and maybe even the Arizona schools and Stanford as well.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2015, 08:23:56 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on January 13, 2015, 05:12:34 AM

Florida State. He's the only one that can transfer because he's a post grad. Transfer and play I mean. Well done Buckeyes. Delighted for them, and for the committee in fairness. Sickened for Oregon and the pac-12 but the harsh reality is Oregon have slipped up every year and that's just not going to get it done. They are in real danger of being passed out by the SoCal teams next year, and maybe even the Arizona schools and Stanford as well.

Miller is a Buckeye lifer though, he has a fecking OSU tattoo for christsakes. There's talk about him maybe switching to receiver. Certainly no sure thing that he'll transfer.

AZOffaly

True. I've heard talk he may switch to the old H back role, like Devin Hestor, and try and make an NFL Career for himself that way. If he switches to another college program to play QB, he's really making a run at the Heisman, and probably not going to be a big hit in the NFL.

magpie seanie

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 12, 2015, 04:34:34 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2015, 11:51:12 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 11, 2015, 08:09:11 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 11, 2015, 07:26:44 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel on January 11, 2015, 01:23:01 AM
Come crunch time Brady again comes up trumps, Strange they didn't waste time with 2 runs on the last set of plays. still think Manning better than him, well Seattle a team i love to hate up next, don't think they have much trouble the nit though, i leave that to green bay cream them
Brady is a crunch time pressure player!!
Running game or lack of will stop their chances IMO

Rodgers needs to up his game in second half v Dallas !

Injury clearly hindering him

Made a miraculous recovery in the second half, even forgot to limp.

So he's faking it in your opinion? Do NFL players actually do this and what's the logic behind it?

All I'll say is it's very rare to see an injury improve as a game goes on. Looking at Rodgers it appeared he could barely walk off the field at half time. Never limped at all after that from what I saw. I have my opinion as to why he did this. I'm sure the officials would have handled low, late hits to Rodgers (like the two Romo received) differently.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2015, 01:08:40 PM
Come crunch time Brady again comes up trumps, Strange they didn't waste time with 2 runs on the last set of plays. still think Manning better than him, well Seattle a team i love to hate up next, don't think they have much trouble the nit though, i leave that to green bay cream them

So he's faking it in your opinion? Do NFL players actually do this and what's the logic behind it?

All I'll say is it's very rare to see an injury improve as a game goes on. Looking at Rodgers it appeared he could barely walk off the field at half time. Never limped at all after that from what I saw. I have my opinion as to why he did this. I'm sure the officials would have handled low, late hits to Rodgers (like the two Romo received) differently.

I assume he got shot up with a massive dose of painkillers at HT. Rodgers is clearly seriously injured. When you see what a quad injury made Manning into (near useless) Rodgers winning a playoff game is very impressive.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2015, 01:08:40 PM

I can't buy that at all to be honest.
So in your opinion he faked it to get more protection from the refs, to hypothetically get penalty yards on low, late hits (of which there happened to be none on Rodgers during the game) while simultaneously taking away large parts of their offensive playbook (not one snap taken from under centre until the kneel down so no possibility of play action, no designed rollouts at all which take away the biggest advantage that Rodgers has over other QB's in his ability to throw as accurate on the run as in the pocket) in a one-and-done game against a Cowboys team that was 8-0 on the road?

Given that any votes for personal awards such as the MVP are taken before the wildcard weekend what is Rodgers gaining by faking/exaggerating an injury at this point?

Seattle will more than likely eat GB alive at the weekend, and they probably would even if Rodgers was 100% but again, in a win or go home game against the champs I can't see the logic in Rodgers faking an injury, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2015, 01:08:40 PMAll I'll say is it's very rare to see an injury improve as a game goes on. Looking at Rodgers it appeared he could barely walk off the field at half time. Never limped at all after that from what I saw. I have my opinion as to why he did this. I'm sure the officials would have handled low, late hits to Rodgers (like the two Romo received) differently.

magpie seanie

I didn't say he was faking the injury - clearly there is something wrong - but he is definitely not as bad as he was letting on. I prefer a guy like Peyton Manning who goes to great lengths to try to keep his injury secret and doesn't offer it as an excuse, before or after the event.

Kidder81

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2015, 10:30:10 PM
I didn't say he was faking the injury - clearly there is something wrong - but he is definitely not as bad as he was letting on. I prefer a guy like Peyton Manning who goes to great lengths to try to keep his injury secret and doesn't offer it as an excuse, before or after the event.

I would say he kept it to himself so as not to become a target for the opposing D. Not sure how Rodgers could keep it quiet when he had to leave the game against Detroit.

magpie seanie

Not talking about it to the media or at least playing it down would have been a start.

There's no doubt he limped in the first half and didn't in the second. If, as suggested, he got a big blast of painkillers at half time I'd ask - why did he not get it before the game started?