The official overcarrying thread

Started by highorlow, June 15, 2015, 01:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

This is not correctly monitored by the refs.

Yesterday we had:

Sice for Galway, 7 steps, bounce 7 steps, goal.

Jamie Clarke, Armagh, lost count of the steps, hits post.

The rule gets broken at least once a weekend, particularly if the Dubs are playing. It's unfair on opposing defences. The 'pundits' don't even bother to highlight it anymore.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

You should call this the Kevin McMenamin Thread! Closely followed by Aidan O'shea!

AZOffaly

That goal, what a strike, but he reminded me of DJ Carey with the steps. You'd hope to get a good strike with a 7 step run up.

blewuporstuffed

Completely agree with this, it leaves it almost impossible to defend against the ball carrier legally , which is part of what has led to the 'swarm' or 'blanket' defence or whatever term the pundits want to use now.
The jamie clarke one at the weekend was ridiculous.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

DuffleKing

Martin McElhinny point - 10 steps, bounce, 7 steps, left foot shot

AZOffaly

I have some sympathy if a lad is being dragged. I know it's technically not allowed to take more steps, and the ref should either penalise the defender or else penalise the attacker for overcarrying, but at least I understand it.
What kills me is the lads who take the little quick steps, like DJ. They get away with murder. And just because you are being harried shouldn't mean you're allowed take 10 steps. what's a defender to do? As long as he isn't fouling, he's entitled to try and tackle you legally.

highorlow

Ya, we all don't mind 5 or even the odd six small steps but this carrying the ball along the hip and going off on a dance is what gets me.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2015, 01:23:15 PM
I have some sympathy if a lad is being dragged. I know it's technically not allowed to take more steps, and the ref should either penalise the defender or else penalise the attacker for overcarrying, but at least I understand it.
What kills me is the lads who take the little quick steps, like DJ. They get away with murder. And just because you are being harried shouldn't mean you're allowed take 10 steps. what's a defender to do? As long as he isn't fouling, he's entitled to try and tackle you legally.
its a bit of a chicken and egg though, did the lad take teh extra steps because he was being dragged back, or did the defender drag him back beacuse he was on his 6/7th step and gettinga way from him?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Well if he's only pulling him back because he's already taken 7 steps, then it's obviously a free out. What I can understand is when a fella is being pulled back on his second or third step, and the ref allows him another 3 or 4 to get away.

nrico2006

One of the many issues I have with the implementation of the rules within the GAA.  People still complain about the Cavanagh goal against Dublin in 2008, but again this was an example of a referee allowing a man extra steps due to him being pulled/fouled.  Clarkes shot that hit the post yesterday was a joke.

One of the biggest issues I have is with the different threshold applied to get a free out the field as opposed to getting a free or penalty close to goal.  Some of the tackles in around the danger area that are not blown would amlost always be blown in the middle of the pitch.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TF15

The tug after 3 steps stopped me getting a solo in and had to take another 3 to get away from the defender on a game at the weekend, blew up for over carrying. In my head I was like should have just dived and went to ground and then I'd have got my free. It's a tricky one. I think the 4 steps isn't really implemented, its more of a time thing. Its hard to explain but you always know when you need a solo or bounce so as to not get penalised, you don't be counting your steps.

haranguerer

Its one of the biggest problems in the game. Its not so much the steps themselves, but the ramifications. If the ref is going to allow a man as many steps as he wants to get round a defender, then a clean tackle is almost impossible.

Esmarelda

Should the rule not be changed to x number of seconds rather than steps?

Why should someone with longer legs be allowed hold the ball for longer?

Three seconds and then play the ball would make more sense.

And before someone says it'd be difficult for a ref to count the number of seconds, they're pretty much doing it when judging a player standing still without playing the ball.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2015, 01:49:51 PM
Well if he's only pulling him back because he's already taken 7 steps, then it's obviously a free out. What I can understand is when a fella is being pulled back on his second or third step, and the ref allows him another 3 or 4 to get away.
It is, but more often than not, its not given.
The only time over carrying seems to be blown is when a player is bottled up by 2/3 defenders and is going nowhere.
The times that a player burns a  defender round the outside using 7/8 steps is rarely blown or the extra steps you seem to get when having a shot.

AZOffaly

True. It appears the refs tend to blow for overcarrying when the flow of the game is affected, or if it's likely a ruck will develop. A lad bottled up will get called for overcarrying more often than not, even if he's not actually fouling the ball. A fella who sprints around the side of the ruck will probably get away with it.