Most emotional GAA moments

Started by seafoid, June 05, 2016, 06:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

In fairness it was a great point alright.  Id say it was fairly emotional for the Mayo men as well. That replay was the perfect example of a team having their homework done from the first match. 
In a strange "Im up for a kicking, kind of way" I have gone full circle and would agree that football misses the spectre of a success chasing Meath team..   

Jinxy

There's a distinct lack of lovable rogues in modern inter-county football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on June 07, 2016, 03:26:13 PM
Brenny Reilly kicking the winner in '96 stands out in my memory.
He never got the credit he deserved for that point.
The row Mayo started overshadowed it a bit.
Can anyone think of a better score to win an All-Ireland final?

Always thought taht was a hell of a score all right to win a tight game(s) like that
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

sinabhuil

Dermot Earley being chaired off the pitch after the 1985 Connacht Final by the Mayo players. True respect for a great of the game.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It is years since I remembered that Brendan Reilly point, it really was a lovely bit of skill.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 07, 2016, 03:53:10 PM
There's a distinct lack of lovable rogues in modern inter-county football.
they are all in the Sunday Game studio these days

seafoid

1982  by the looks of it

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/the-seasons-of-sundays-in-their-own-words-1.1476526
But when Offaly came in the night of the '82 final, we had a problem. Maurice Reidy had put together a package of clips from Kerry's four-in-a-row in preparation for them making it five-in-a-row. But they didn't obviously.
"Maurice was heartbroken, first of all because he was a good Castleisland man and secondly because the bloody thing wouldn't be shown. They were great about it though. Eugene McGee and Richie Connor were fantastic. Richie said, 'Sure go on and show the Kerry five-in-a-row thing, we'd love to see it.' When it went out then, everybody loved it. It kind of didn't matter that Kerry hadn't won."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxgju-2xbfQ

moysider

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 07, 2016, 03:58:20 PM

Always thought taht was a hell of a score all right to win a tight game(s) like that

FFS!! After 20 years I was finally beginning to try and come to terms with that shit and the injustice of it all. Curses the lot of ye!

AZOffaly

Darby

Jinxy

moysider

Ye were asleep in history class. Abraham Darby. A Quaker that started the Industrial Revolution. Started using coke instead of charcoal to make iron. It doesn t get more emotional than that. I break down every time I think about it.

Jinxy

Quote from: east down gael on June 06, 2016, 12:53:13 AM
Not the same as moments mentioned previously,and nowhere near as solemn as a death,but joe connollys speech when Galway won the Liam McCarthy bringing it over the shannon was pretty emotional given the time that was in it with emigration and recession.

I loved the start of this promo.
The combination of Joe's words and the music is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJjX_N8WT0

moysider

Those soft hurling folk start blubbering over the smallest things.

redhandefender

Riceys last game, Down in Kerry, beat in the qualifiers, him in centre of pitch in tears and wee Kerry lad came up and he gave hime his jersey.

Or obviously Brian Dooher speech in 2005 for Cormac!