The Patronising Dublin Fan Thread

Started by Sidney, August 09, 2014, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 10:14:43 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 09:26:22 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on December 05, 2020, 09:20:33 PM
Very true, if only the Leitrim footballers got off their fat asses and got down to the gym in Carrick , football could be saved.
Oh, and gobbled up their Protein shakes and got their  volunteers out of their beds.
You'd miss the old days when Leitrim were beating Dublin in the championship and winning All-Irelands

Back in the good old days of 1994 . Leitrim beat Roscommon in the Hyde, Galway in Tuam and Mayo in the Hyde. Their reward was playing a Dublin team in the Dubs 4th championship match in Croke park. Unsurprisingly Dublin tanked them. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. Dublin now have further financial advantages and a very strong "success breeds success " advantage . That "success breeds success" phenomenon would be fair enough, if the success was under equitable circumstances, but it ain't
By that standard it was also wrong that Leitrim had to play Galway in the first place

It was also wrong that Down had to play Dublin in the All-Ireland final that year

It was also wrong that Ireland had to play Italy in the World Cup that year

mrdeeds

Had Italy won six world cups in a row and funded by Fifa at the expense of every other nation? Was every game in Rome?

sid waddell

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 05, 2020, 10:29:19 PM
Had Italy won six world cups in a row and funded by Fifa at the expense of every other nation? Was every game in Rome?
Ireland played Italy at the 1990 World Cup and Italy had all their games in Rome up to that

But for a bounce of the ball, we could have taken them to extra-time

International soccer is based on the exact same principle as the inter-county game - representing your country - in GAA it's county

Inherent in this system are massive population imbalances - but everybody involved knows the system, and accepts it - the system is about identity, as is the GAA

Thus you had Russia, population 144 million, facing Croatia, population 4 million, in the quarter-finals of the last World Cup

Ireland has a population of 4.8 million, but the Irish soccer team is integral to this county's sense of sporting identity and anybody who says we should merge with Scotland and Wales and NI to create a Celtic Fringes team would be laughed out of its

Anybody who suggested our soccer team stopped competing in World Cup and Euro qualifiers in favour of dropping down to a B or a C or a D competition would also be laughed at

thewobbler

If it ever should happen that an international soccer team routinely dispatches almost every opponent by 5+ goals, then you might have a valid comparator.

But you're not helping yourself with this chain of thought, until that happens.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on December 05, 2020, 10:58:08 PM
If it ever should happen that an international soccer team routinely dispatches almost every opponent by 5+ goals, then you might have a valid comparator.

Can you list the margins Dublin have won their All-Irelands by?

Here, I'll do it for you

(0)1
(0)6

When Dublin are routinely winning All-Ireland finals by double digits for a period of 10 years or more, get back to me

dublin7

So what you're saying is until any International team  hammers every other team the comparison of playing population available for selection is somehow irrelevant. That's just stupid and idiotic.

Some counties in GAA just like international sides in other competitive sports have a competitive advantage based on playing numbers alone. That's just life . Suck it up and deal with it. To say that's irrelevant simply because a team/country don't take advantage of that imbalance is so stupid, idiotic and funny it deserves nothing but derision and ridicule

sid waddell

For comparison, Kerry's All-Ireland final margins 1975-1986

And Kilkenny's 2000-2015

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 11:13:10 PM

Here, I'll do it for you

(0)1
(0)6

When Dublin are routinely winning All-Ireland finals by double digits for a period of 10 years or more, get back to me

Nobody will be getting back to you. Because nobody will care. There will be more interest in the Oxford-Cambridge boat race than there will be in the AI championship by then.

mrdeeds

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 11:13:10 PM

Here, I'll do it for you

(0)1
(0)6

Is that what it will take then?

Jesus we are in trouble.

6th sam

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 10:43:27 PM
Ireland played Italy at the 1990 World Cup and Italy had all their games in Rome up to that

International soccer is based on the exact same principle as the inter-county game - representing your country - in GAA it's county

Inherent in this system are massive population imbalances - but everybody involved knows the system, and accepts it - the system is about identity, as is the GAA

Thus you had Russia, population 144 million, facing Croatia, population 4 million, in the quarter-finals of the last World Cup

Ireland has a population of 4.8 million, but the Irish soccer team is integral to this county's sense of sporting identity and anybody who says we should merge with Scotland and Wales and NI to create a Celtic Fringes team would be laughed out of its

Anybody who suggested our soccer team stopped competing in World Cup and Euro qualifiers in favour of dropping down to a B or a C or a D competition would also be laughed at

Comparing apples and oranges again?
The World Cup Is a qualification process, minnow countries sometimes qualify , but rarely if ever win. Their teams are often heavily laced with diaspora players to
Make them competitive ( Italian 90) .  It comes around every 4 years and has become a bit of a novelty competition as it takes second place due to financial muscle of the club game. FIFA don't plough hefty amounts of money towards the World Cup champions and No team gets to play all their games at home. Please stop defending the indefensible, "thou doth protest too much"

thewobbler

The AI final ain't the problem Sid.

The problem is that every other game is such a pronounced mismatch; an anti-spectacle.

There is always cannon fodder in every representative sport. But when every other team is cannon fodder to just one , then it's no longer sport.

That's where we are at now.

sid waddell

Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 11:36:12 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 10:43:27 PM

Comparing apples and oranges again?
The World Cup Is a qualification process, minnow countries sometimes qualify , but rarely if ever win. Their teams are often heavily laced with diaspora players to
Make them competitive ( Italian 90) .  It comes around every 4 years and has become a bit of a novelty competition as it takes second place due to financial muscle of the club game. FIFA don't plough hefty amounts of money towards the World Cup champions and No team gets to play all their games at home. Please stop defending the indefensible, "thou doth protest too much"
I'm comparing like with like

International soccer and inter-county GAA are and have always been run on representative lines

International soccer windows take place in most months from March to November - every year

Representative sport involves places with massive population imbalances playing against each other

Ireland plays Gibraltar - that's a massive imbalance in our favour

Ireland plays Germany and Russia - that's a massive imbalance in our opponents' favour - in Germany's case that is advantage is not just in terms of population, but economic imbalance

The exact same thing as what happens in inter-county GAA

Uruguay, population 3 million, have reached a semi-final and quarter-final in the last 10 years

Croatia, population 4 million, reached the final two years ago

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on December 05, 2020, 11:39:45 PM

The problem is that every other game is such a pronounced mismatch; an anti-spectacle.

There is always cannon fodder in every representative sport. But when every other team is cannon fodder to just one , then it's no longer sport.

You contradicted yourself there

You said the All-Ireland final is not the problem, then claimed every other team is cannon fodder

But they aren't - as you admitted, before denying it

I'm not the person that's defending the indefensible - I'm not the person that's whinging, and calling for the end of inter-county football because they don't like the results over the last few years

That seems pretty indefensible to me

6th sam

Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 11:49:13 PM

You said the All-Ireland final is not the problem, then claimed every other team is cannon fodder

I'm not the person that's defending the indefensible - I'm not the person that's whinging, and calling for the end of inter-county football because they don't like the results over the last few years

😂😂Keep it up long enough and you might even convince yourself. Remind me, do we always play Gibraltar at home?

sid waddell

Quote from: 6th sam on December 06, 2020, 12:06:43 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 05, 2020, 11:49:13 PM

😂😂Keep it up long enough and you might even convince yourself. Remind me, do we always play Gibraltar at home?
Do the West Coast Eagles ever get an AFL Grand Final against a Victorian team in Perth, rather than the MCG?

Do the Brisbane Broncos ever get an NRL Grand Final against a New South Wales team in Brisbane, rather than Stadium Australia?

The anti-Dublin crowd are big in internet cliches like "keep it up", but short on arguments other than them not liking the results of matches