The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 07, 2024, 11:25:21 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 07, 2024, 09:19:13 AMI'm surprised Joe is still peddling the Gilroy and MDMA boot story, when it was debunked.

https://twitter.com/UnOfficialGaa/status/1353402764844539906

Especially with the boy who it's about sitting beside him.

Yeah not overly many from that down minor team though I think it maybe showed them they could compete with the best of them too.

Yeah , I found that boots story  very odd  (whether it was true or not) , especially with MDMA  actually sat there. It's  like Joe  knows more about  the sanctity of the Dublin dressing room  than a fella who was actually there!

But we all know Joe likes to cosy up to  successful teams. They do everything  right and the rest do  everything wrong  ::)

grounded

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 07, 2024, 06:47:11 AM
Quote from: grounded on April 07, 2024, 12:23:47 AMJohn Flynn getting the community spirit award was the highlight for me, but I really enjoyed the show overall.
  That was a super Down minor team in 87. Was the basis of the 91 and 94 senior teams.
In what regard?

If you look at both the management and players of that 87 minor team i think most Down supporters will agree they were pivotal in the later senior successes.
       Down had been starved of success with only a single AI minor title in 1977, an AI U21 in 1979 and a national league senior title in 1981. A lot of those players involved in 77,79,81 were reaching the twilight of their careers the likes of Paddy O Rourke, Liam Austin, Ambrose Sr etc and hadnt seen any real county senior success. 
      Pete McGrath  was the manager of that minor team and he and his selector Barney Treanor went on to manage/select the 91/94 teams.
     Often forgotten is Dan McCartan's role. He was a selector back in 87 and he provided a link back to the 1979 u21 All ireland Down team who he managed and also to the senior 1981 team who he managed to the national league title.  He was involved as the Down minor manager before Pete took the job.
      He would have provided the link back to Ambrose sr, Liam Austin, Paddy O Rourke, Mickey Linden, Greg Blaney, his own Son Mark and a host of others that won the senior in 91.
     Between the three of them what with Saint Colmans as well, there were very few of the 1991 panel that werent coached/managed by Pete, Dan or Barney.
    Of course the 87 team itself included a number of key players for the winning 91 and 94 teams including James mcCartan, Connor Deegan and Micheal Magill and a number of other players who made the county seniors during that period including Geoffrey Breen, Collie Burns and Cathal Murray.

Gold

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 06, 2024, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2024, 12:43:21 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 06, 2024, 12:40:40 PMNo, I didn't see the earlier bit or know about it. Why have MDMA still there, if he had said his bit? I don't like Brolly, that my prerogative. He craves attention. His stories are renowned for the I was talking to such and such and that was the magic formula for winning the AI.
I understand you are from Derry and have a different perspective or Loyalty. And good for you!

The format of the Late Late is that the first guest stays on and plays a small part in the subsequent discussion. Brolly is a bit of  a windbag, but the format of the show was what you would expect.

The Cringe bit was that MDMA was the topic of the subsequent discussion.  ;D

"I hope he doesn't come out and start insincerely licking MDMA's hole" is what I said. Cue him doing exactly that. Then the usual hand on his leg to stop him talking when he was about to say something in response. Would've been better to hear about the championship and teams prospects etc rather than that shite

"He couldn't kick a 20 yard kickpass" is probably his honest view.

Just totally insincere in my wholly irrelevant opinion.

Loved the show though and think Kielty is playing a blinder....HE comes across as wholly genuine and is doing as well as anyone could. There's a real feel good factor about the show now and it's warm and what we need (totally at odds with my slabbering above).

Don't get the anti North agenda by loads on twitter any time there's a 6 county guest on. In my view it's just 1 rock and who gives a f**k whether it's a man from Kerry or Antrim on.

Although having worked years in Dublin it sadly comes as no shock having been told I wasn't really Irish and sneered at more times than I care to remember!

Albeit not by GAA types
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rawhide

Some of you guys are pathetic, bordering on spiteful. If you took the time you would know Brolly has known MDMCA for quite a while and Brolly had been eulogising about the charitable work M Dara had been doing on the Freestate podcast last year.
cccc is a true supporter lol

grounded

Quote from: Rawhide on April 07, 2024, 01:42:13 PMSome of you guys are pathetic, bordering on spiteful. If you took the time you would know Brolly has known MDMCA for quite a while and Brolly had been eulogising about the charitable work M Dara had been doing on the Freestate podcast last year.

What exactly did Joe Brolly do wrong? Told a few anecdotes and talked about the links throughout the GAA fraternity and his charity CF. It was only one small part of the show anyway. 

Rawhide

He did nothing wrong, the echo chamber of spitefulness and hate that exist in some people hearts posting here is simply dreadful. Go and do something nice for someone. You never know how it will inspire u
cccc is a true supporter lol

Caitlin

Quote from: grounded on April 07, 2024, 12:11:43 PM
Quote from: grounded on April 07, 2024, 12:23:47 AMJohn Flynn getting the community spirit award was the highlight for me, but I really enjoyed the show overall.
  That was a super Down minor team in 87. Was the basis of the 91 and 94 senior teams.
In what regard?

If you look at both the management and players of that 87 minor team i think most Down supporters will agree they were pivotal in the later senior successes.
      Down had been starved of success with only a single AI minor title in 1977, an AI U21 in 1979 and a national league senior title in 1981. A lot of those players involved in 77,79,81 were reaching the twilight of their careers the likes of Paddy O Rourke, Liam Austin, Ambrose Sr etc and hadnt seen any real county senior success. 
      Pete McGrath  was the manager of that minor team and he and his selector Barney Treanor went on to manage/select the 91/94 teams.
    Often forgotten is Dan McCartan's role. He was a selector back in 87 and he provided a link back to the 1979 u21 All ireland Down team who he managed and also to the senior 1981 team who he managed to the national league title.  He was involved as the Down minor manager before Pete took the job.
      He would have provided the link back to Ambrose sr, Liam Austin, Paddy O Rourke, Mickey Linden, Greg Blaney, his own Son Mark and a host of others that won the senior in 91.
    Between the three of them what with Saint Colmans as well, there were very few of the 1991 panel that werent coached/managed by Pete, Dan or Barney.
    Of course the 87 team itself included a number of key players for the winning 91 and 94 teams including James mcCartan, Connor Deegan and Micheal Magill and a number of other players who made the county seniors during that period including Geoffrey Breen, Collie Burns and Cathal Murray.

Dan McCartan made a huge contribution as a player and mentor ; however, it was 1983, not 81,  when Down won the League, and brother James was the manager.
A good show on Friday but hopefully we won't have to listen to Joe the blow again

grounded

Quote from: Caitlin on April 07, 2024, 02:24:56 PM
Quote from: grounded on April 07, 2024, 12:11:43 PM
In what regard?

Dan McCartan made a huge contribution as a player and mentor ; however, it was 1983, not 81,  when Down won the League, and brother James was the manager.
A good show on Friday but hopefully we won't have to listen to Joe the blow again

https://clonduffgac.net/down-win-national-football-league-1983/

Your right of course,I'm not sure how 81 got into my head. I think Galway won it that year?

Yes James sr managed that team but was Dan not involved?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 07, 2024, 11:40:05 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 07, 2024, 09:19:13 AMI'm surprised Joe is still peddling the Gilroy and MDMA boot story, when it was debunked.

Yeah not overly many from that down minor team though I think it maybe showed them they could compete with the best of them too.

Yeah , I found that boots story  very odd  (whether it was true or not) , especially with MDMA  actually sat there. It's  like Joe  knows more about  the sanctity of the Dublin dressing room  than a fella who was actually there!

But we all know Joe likes to cosy up to  successful teams. They do everything  right and the rest do  everything wrong  ::)

Photo/video evidence and the internet have debunked a lot of latter day sporting yarns.
Jason McAteer and Tony Cascarino have also been caught out telling porkies about their Ireland days too.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 07, 2024, 07:48:45 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on April 07, 2024, 11:40:05 AM

Photo/video evidence and the internet have debunked a lot of latter day sporting yarns.
Jason McAteer and Tony Cascarino have also been caught out telling porkies about their Ireland days too.

These yarns are essential for the after-dinner circuit.

Jim Bob

And the story about him not knowing what Sean Cavanagh 
looked  like ???
 Cavanagh had been about the county scene for a while by that stage. Bound to have known him

Applesisapples

I think the late Late missed a trick here. I don't know why Marty was freezing his bollocks of in Longford. There should have been a greater celebration of Clubs, a nod to John  McKillop would have been nice. I am also sick of the sight of Staunton and Jacob, surely there are better female role models out there? I saw Michael Dara in a new light, Brolly was mildly entertaining in a boring uncle sort of way. Perhaps a longer show?