British Forces training at Curragh Camp?

Started by T Fearon, November 17, 2017, 08:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Am I right in saying there's no neutrality written into the free state constitution?

Targetman

Quote from: T Fearon on November 17, 2017, 12:40:56 PM
If you take James Mc Clean as the litmus test,I doubt if he'd be happy
I wouldn't be happy either after that result!!

Avondhu star

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 17, 2017, 05:34:17 PM
Am I right in saying there's no neutrality written into the free state constitution?

Where is this Free State you refer too?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

shark

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 17, 2017, 05:34:17 PM
Am I right in saying there's no neutrality written into the Irish constitution?

You are correct. Military non-alignment has merely been a policy. Same as the Triple-Lock. There is a common misconception that they are both in the constitution.

Non-alignment makes a lot of sense, and allows flexibility. The triple-lock however is a pathetic mechanism, which basically says we as a state don't trust ourselves to make our own decisions. Yet, we will allow China and Russia to have a say.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shark

Quote from: Rossfan on November 17, 2017, 07:47:00 PM
What's this Triple lock?

For Irish troops to deploy overseas it needs "triple lock" approval. That entails Dail approval, governmental approval, and UN Security Council approval. The first two make complete sense of course. In 2003 Irish troops were to deploy to Macedonia under the EU banner (as they currently do in Bosnia and Mali, and did in Chad too recently). There was no UN Security Council mandate for the region as China vetoed. So, as a result of the Chinese veto we didn't allow ourselves to deploy.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 17, 2017, 10:35:30 AM
Tony.

Any objection to the RAF being first responders if Russian aircraft get to close to the Irish coast?

Our paper airplanes wouldn't be much use.

I object because of the stupidity of the excuse rather than on on the grounds that the RAF have access.

vallankumous

Quote from: shark on November 17, 2017, 07:41:20 PM

You are correct. Military non-alignment has merely been a policy. Same as the Triple-Lock. There is a common misconception that they are both in the constitution.

Non-alignment makes a lot of sense, and allows flexibility. The triple-lock however is a pathetic mechanism, which basically says we as a state don't trust ourselves to make our own decisions. Yet, we will allow China and Russia to have a say.

Yip the bad guys have a say, so do the good guys though.

johnneycool

Quote from: vallankumous on November 18, 2017, 12:15:37 PM
Quote from: shark on November 17, 2017, 07:41:20 PM

Who are the good guys? The ones who ploughed into Iraq without UN approval?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: shark on November 17, 2017, 08:12:16 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 17, 2017, 07:47:00 PM
What's this Triple lock?

For Irish troops to deploy overseas it needs "triple lock" approval. That entails Dail approval, governmental approval, and UN Security Council approval. The first two make complete sense of course. In 2003 Irish troops were to deploy to Macedonia under the EU banner (as they currently do in Bosnia and Mali, and did in Chad too recently). There was no UN Security Council mandate for the region as China vetoed. So, as a result of the Chinese veto we didn't allow ourselves to deploy.

As a policy does it exist at the whim of any party in government? Perhaps it is useful for parties not having to take real world decisions about participation in UN operations.

Avondhu star

Is there any of the Dublin women going down to service the British troops like they did in 1916
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

vallankumous

Quote from: johnneycool
Who are the good guys? The ones who ploughed into Iraq without UN approval?

/quote]

Whichever one suits you at any given time