We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

He had the last laugh, pretty much won that all Ireland for Dublin.

1. His calmness he brought to it, telling all Dublin players to slow it down, keep possession, spread out the wings, more space.
2. His point, steps yes but played advantage, great score.
3. His wonderful wonderful pass to Rock taking the defender out, no one else could do that.
4. His winning free, knew exactly what he was doing, yes he looked for it but he knew if he drew them in and shimmied they would foul.

He had the last laugh and now has 5 All Irelands, not mentioning his 2 club All Irelands and all the other medals he has.

Without much hullabaloo and limelight, he will be back playing championship hurling for Vincent's this weekend as he's firstly a proud and proper club man first.

And I don't think we need a thread on We need to talk about Lee......

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on September 19, 2017, 06:02:11 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on September 19, 2017, 02:11:44 PM
Fair play to DC. Showed excellent leadership in last 15 minutes and kicked a great point.

He always kicks a great point or two.

Lost in the hype after Donegal ambushed them in 2014 was the fact that Connolly scored two of the best points I've ever seen, one on either foot, after jinking around multiple players in zero space.

To be blunt, his status has outstripped his actual contributions on the biggest stages by quite a degree. Connolly also doesn't kick many easy, let alone hard, points when matched up on Keegan, which belies the fact that he is not close to being the best player in the country that was still the line in most quarters until around last year's AI finals.

All that said, he is still an excellent player when he decides to keep his head. I would give Kevin Mc just as much if not more credit for steadying Dublin in the second half on Sunday, though. He's a player that actually deserves more praise than he gets IMO.

ballinaman

What was his thought process re sleeveless top and track suit pants in the warm up? 2 fingers to Gavin ?I doubt he was impressed with Flynn coming on ahead of him, never mind not getting the start !

I wonder will he give the hurling a proper go next year when the big name takes over the hurlers :-X

TheGreatest

Quote from: ballinaman on September 21, 2017, 09:26:05 AM
What was his thought process re sleeveless top and track suit pants in the warm up? 2 fingers to Gavin ?I doubt he was impressed with Flynn coming on ahead of him, never mind not getting the start !

I wonder will he give the hurling a proper go next year when the big name takes over the hurlers :-X

If rumours about the Hurling management are true, I would say there is good chance you wont see Connolly play football for Dublin again.

Orchard park

i'd say somehting similar to he wearing a leitrim top in the 2011 warm up i'd say. dont think he gives a toss for talks of process and image in fairness to him

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2017, 09:19:27 AM
Quote from: J70 on September 19, 2017, 06:02:11 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on September 19, 2017, 02:11:44 PM
Fair play to DC. Showed excellent leadership in last 15 minutes and kicked a great point.

He always kicks a great point or two.

Lost in the hype after Donegal ambushed them in 2014 was the fact that Connolly scored two of the best points I've ever seen, one on either foot, after jinking around multiple players in zero space.

To be blunt, his status has outstripped his actual contributions on the biggest stages by quite a degree. Connolly also doesn't kick many easy, let alone hard, points when matched up on Keegan, which belies the fact that he is not close to being the best player in the country that was still the line in most quarters until around last year's AI finals.

All that said, he is still an excellent player when he decides to keep his head. I would give Kevin Mc just as much if not more credit for steadying Dublin in the second half on Sunday, though. He's a player that actually deserves more praise than he gets IMO.

who is the best player in the country so i can benchmark then if DC isn't close to being it ????

johnneycool

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 21, 2017, 09:30:28 AM

If rumours about the Hurling management are true, I would say there is good chance you wont see Connolly play football for Dublin again.

Was perusing through the AI hurling semifinal program when Dublin minors were on the undercard and they'd a bit where the last time they'd played Cork at minor hurling and there's a good few of the current Dublin football squad named, James McCarthy, Ciaran Kilkenny, Cormac Costello and one of the subs who didn't get a run out on Sunday, not to mention Con O'Callaghan who was fantastic for Cuala in the AI club series.

Who's lined up to take the big money job in hurling?

TheGreatest

No money involved this time round.

Believe it or believe it not, Pat Gilroy is strongly rumoured to be a done deal.

johnneycool

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 21, 2017, 09:41:59 AM

Believe it or believe it not, Pat Gilroy is strongly rumoured to be a done deal.

Can't say I know much about his hurling pedigree or background. Has he managed clubs in Dublin?

magpie seanie

I guess he'll be the manager and they'll get a hurling coach in to do the training (if that's not putting it in too simplistic terms)?

TheGreatest

Played a bit of hurling for Vincent's but you would be right, not a hurling man and a big name coach or 2 coaches will be brought in. It looks like a steady the ship job, get the players back that have been lost and attract hurlers that maybe inclined to football.

Even though I heard its a done deal, I'm still not convinced until officially confirmed. Totally left field.

ballinaman

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 21, 2017, 09:41:59 AM

That's who I heard too.

johnneycool

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 21, 2017, 10:46:07 AM
Played a bit of hurling for Vincent's but you would be right, not a hurling man and a big name coach or 2 coaches will be brought in. It looks like a steady the ship job, get the players back that have been lost and attract hurlers that maybe inclined to football.

Even though I heard its a done deal, I'm still not convinced until officially confirmed. Totally left field.

Not as left field as Sean Boylan thinking he'd accepted the Meath hurling job when he was actually offered the football job and that didn't exactly go too badly.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: johnneycool on September 21, 2017, 11:15:27 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 21, 2017, 10:46:07 AM

Not as left field as Sean Boylan thinking he'd accepted the Meath hurling job when he was actually offered the football job and that didn't exactly go too badly.
Sean Boylan was the hurling manager before being asked to take on the football role. Shame to spoil a good story.

weareros

If there was ever a moment of ironic salvation in the GAA, it was Diarmuid Connolly calling for calm after winning the free that was just about to win Dublin the All-Ireland, after being banned for most of the Summer for needlessly losing the head over a sideline ball in  Carlow.