Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on January 16, 2018, 04:28:10 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 16, 2018, 04:19:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2018, 03:59:57 PM
How many Northern Nationalists have Fine Gael murdered and how many have they kneecapped,  "disappeared" exiled beaten with baseball bats or the like.
How does their record in that regard compare to Provo IRA/SF?
Which side would shame more of the devils "on Hell"?
Rossfan, in fairness SF have not done any of this either you are straying into TUV policy here. There has also been a ceasefire for the last 20 years and there has to come a time when SF's past connections to the then active IRA becomes irrelevant. Especially now as many of the younger representatives joined post cease fire. Reprehensible as some of Bombers posts are he reacts at times to comments from people like yourself who have no idea of what life was like for Northern Nationalists of my generation (55+) growing up in a state reflected and to some extent still does only reflect British Protestant culture and identity. FG and FF need to stop this as well and to challenge SF on actual policy. With the exception of the SDLP and Alliance every other major political party on this island has been born out of violence or the threat of violence, so people in glass houses etc...As for Bomber everytime he refers to the freestate or freestaters his argument is lost as all anyone sees is the insult, your IRA/SF is exactly the same type of trolling.

Gerry might want to admit his personal connections if he wants that to happen. Do you not see why people can't take SF seriously about moving on when their own leader can't admit to what is common knowledge, let alone move past it?
Mary Lou and her northern puppet's response to McElduff shows they're still operating from the same old playbook.

If I'm being generous I'd say Mary Lou is the sort of transitional leader who is unlikely to do anything to change SF's toxic reputation in Irish society but she may be a necessary leader given how the party has set itself up. Doherty seems a much more able leader and I would hope he will have the balls to tackle the past when Mary Lou is eventually ousted, for poor election results in all likelihood.

Says the FG voter, how many cabinet ministers have now been found to have denied knowledge of the McCabe smear campaign when there was proof they were fully aware of it?

Therealdonald

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2018, 04:27:42 PM
I don't like to use the IRA/SF thing but they were the same grouping from 1970 to 2005.
SF are only now beginning to knock the odd Provo atrocity.
I was responding to Bombast's nonsense and all those things I mentioned were visited upon the Nationalists by the Provo IRA.

Why would SF knock any more than the odd one? Whilst mistakes were made, they were all justified. And just to mention Syferus, so nothing can be done to change ''SF'S toxic reputation in Irish society'', but FF or FG along with the banks can leave the country on their knees, thousands of young people leaving the shores, but their role in that wasn't toxic. God one there. We in the North don't ask for you to completely embrace SF, but at least be consistent. We have an affinity with SF in the north that those in the South will never understand.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 16, 2018, 04:49:48 PM
I don't like to use the IRA/SF thing but they were the same grouping from 1970 to 2005.
I was responding to Bombast's nonsense and all those things I mentioned were visited upon the Nationalists by the Provo IRA.

Why would SF knock any more than the odd one? Whilst mistakes were made, they were all justified. And just to mention Syferus, so nothing can be done to change ''SF'S toxic reputation in Irish society'', but FF or FG along with the banks can leave the country on their knees, thousands of young people leaving the shores, but their role in that wasn't toxic. God one there. We in the North don't ask for you to completely embrace SF, but at least be consistent. We have an affinity with SF in the north that those in the South will never understand.

I'll let this sit here. No commentary needed.

tonto1888

Not sure if youre implying that every member of SF prior to 2005 was also a member of the IRA. If so, you are wrong

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on January 16, 2018, 04:53:05 PM

Yeah, make no mention of the other points that are made. The way the majority of Nationalists/Republicans see it in the North, is that yes there were maybe incidents that shouldn't have happened but in the long run, those charged with making decisions were doing them for the right reasons.

tonto1888

Im really hoping he is referring to something else, and not the likes of Kingsmill/Omagh etc

Therealdonald

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 16, 2018, 04:57:07 PM

Im really hoping he is referring to something else, and not the likes of Kingsmill/Omagh etc

There's no justification for Omagh. I'll make that clear now. That was completely 100% wrong.

Rossfan

Because it wasn't done by the Provos?
Or because.....?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tonto1888

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 16, 2018, 04:59:34 PM

There's no justification for Omagh. I'll make that clear now. That was completely 100% wrong.

Kingsmill? Enniskillen? Warrington?

Il Bomber Destro

In war situations terrible things are an inevitably. Nelson Mandela had blood on his hand if you are to look at them under the lens SF are.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 16, 2018, 05:02:52 PM

In war situations terrible things are an inevitably. Nelson Mandela had blood on his hand if you are to look at them under the lens SF are.

Agreed. Doesn't mean certain things which happened were justified

Therealdonald

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 16, 2018, 05:05:28 PM

So the act was justified but the outcome not? Does that pacify you?I'm not going to get into which 1s I seen as justified because I'd be ostracised altogether

tonto1888

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 16, 2018, 05:08:22 PM

So the act was justified but the outcome not? Does that pacify you?I'm not going to get into which 1s I seen as justified because I'd be ostracised altogether

No. The act of lining ten workmen against a van and shooting them is never justified. The act of planting bombs in busy towns/cities is never justified. Them being an inevitability does not make them justified.

Im an Irish Republican but I will never ever say the likes of Omagh/Enniskillen/Warrington were justified

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 16, 2018, 05:08:22 PM

You already did so by saying any were justified. The horse has already bolted on this one. You've nothing left to lose so you may as well tell us what massacres you feel were justified.

Rossfan

So what exact outcome was expected at Kingsmill when you line up 10 or 12 civilians and rake them with gunfire?
When you set off a bomb in the middle of a public gathering in Enniskillen?
When you leave a bomb in a bin in the middle of a busy town centre on a Saturday and let it off without warning?
Set off incindeiespecially during a busy function in a hotel?
Bate a lad up in a shed with crowbars?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM