The Power Base of Mayo Football.

Started by An Gaeilgoir, July 30, 2007, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Following our exploits in the All-Ireland this year ::) and the performances of the clubs in our championship, I wonder has the power base of Mayo Football moved from one part of the county to another. North Mayo Clubs have in the main supplied the main trunk of the team over the past few years and previous to that again it seemed the main trunk of the team were South Mayo players.But now with some retirements from our county teams it seems the main trunk of our teams will be from East and west Mayo. This is a bit of a sweeping statement i know, as other clubs from other Mayo have supplied more than their fair share of players too. I am intrested to see what other posters on here think...

Fishead_Sam

You are right re: the spread of players over the last few years having a strong North Mayo flavour, but rather than any particular area, I think, the spread is going to be more even, maybe with a very Mayocommon flavour  ;)

Farrandeelin

Mayo God Help us if the players come from the West of the county! Only Burrishoole qualified for the last 8 in the SFC!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bod Mor

I know there are a few Knockmore people on these boards. I hear that Damien Munnelly is playing savage stuff this year. Do ye think that he will be in JOM's plans for next year?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

He seems to be scoring well indeed, always thought Munnelly needed to bulk up more a lot more to be able from Senior Inter-County, has he done that?

Davitt Man

nah munnelly is stil the same build, knockmore play 2 man full forward line and use his speed thats how he is doing well, he wouldnt get that room in an inter county match he would be gobbled up

mannix

Power base?
We didn't have much power and even less of a base against derry.
I am finally seeing the light, we simply do not have either the players or the heart to win sam inside the next 5 years.A dose of the present lads will leave and the replacements most likely are unable to fill their boots.David Brady?Ciaran Mac?Nallen?Heaney?
Please name a replacement for any of the above in their prime.And the loss of Hanley to the bastard game of afl is bigger blow than we know just yet.

prewtna

NO NEED TO REPLACE HEANY I AM RELIABLY INFORMED HE IS STAYING ON ANOTHER YEAR

mannix

Also reliably informed the great blond is not returning after his 10 minutes against derry when it was all over and i hardly blame him.D brady and oneill will hardly come back, they know by now its a dead horse they are flogging and 96 was the one that got away for brady and nallen who will hardly want more suffering.
JOM had better have something special planned for next year because getting hammered by derry will not be forgotten anytime soon and regardless of what players are on the field he will bear the brunt for collapsing as much as the kudos for winning.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Power base of Mayo Club Football is surely Greater Castlebar now.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

An Gaeilgoir

Greater Castlebar my hole. Ballintubber and Tuar Mhic Eadaigh are not Suburbs of any town. End the land grab now!!!! ;D

stephenite

Between 1995 and 2007 3 clubs within a 10 mile radius won 12 of the 13 Senior titles on offer, that's a power base. Talk to us in 10 years time and we'll see how your 'Greater Castlebar' measures up :P 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: stephenite on October 22, 2010, 07:47:39 PM
Between 1995 and 2007 3 clubs within a 10 mile radius won 12 of the 13 Senior titles on offer, that's a power base. Talk to us in 10 years time and we'll see how your 'Greater Castlebar' measures up :P

A Jazus Stephanite stop living in the past  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stephenite

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 22, 2010, 10:50:58 PM

A Jazus Stephanite stop living in the past  ;D

Stop dreaming about the future ;)

the Deel Rover

aye and they played in 5 ai club finals . in fairness the rivalry was unreal
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001