Prague

Started by downredblack, January 17, 2007, 12:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Don't think so. I'm sure in the past both easyJet and jet2 flew there direct.

seafoid

Quote from: under the bar on September 08, 2010, 11:00:53 PM
QuoteWas in Prague a couple of months ago and round the corner from the hotel I stayed in was a little chapel with the Child of Prague in it. Did a little research and found that although people from all over the world come to ask it favours Irish people are the only ones who think it can influence the weather.

I'd always thought the Child of Prague was based on an apparition or something.  Turns out its not even a recognised icon, just a wax doll some bloke made 100 years ago that various people with more money than sense kept sending expensive new outfits for.   

it is older than that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_Jesus_of_Prague
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

Quote from: The Worker on July 04, 2016, 08:44:27 PM
Do any airlines fly direct belfast to Prague these days?

Maybe in the summer? I'm heading over in November this year and had to book from Dublin. 

Having read this thread, it's my understanding that it is a dear hole in the tourist squares, avoid the irish pubs and watch out for pick pockets.

Link

Had to book from dublin myself, make sure to try to segwey tours. We done a 3 hour trip and it was definitely worth the €40.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on July 05, 2016, 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: The Worker on July 04, 2016, 08:44:27 PM
Do any airlines fly direct belfast to Prague these days?

Maybe in the summer? I'm heading over in November this year and had to book from Dublin. 

Having read this thread, it's my understanding that it is a dear hole in the tourist squares, avoid the irish pubs and watch out for pick pockets.
Apply to any major European city and you'll not go far wrong!

screenexile

I see this thread hasn't been updated in a while just wondering if anyone's been recently and has any advice on things to do??

Heading over for the weekend with my wife and although I'm sure the Markets will be good it would be great to get a bit more of an idea of what to do before we go!!

ziggy90

I was there last Easter. It was rammed full of tourists around The Charles Bridge area but if you go early in the morning you should avoid them.
One spot where we did go was the St Cyril and Methodious Church. It's the place where Heydrich's assassins hid out after the shooting. Well worth a visit. Watch the films Operation Daybreak or Anthropoid for some background information. Fantastic story.
Opposite it is a restaurant called the Parachutist, top-notch Czech food and not at all expensive. Try the Pork Knuckle absolutely delicious.
Stay out of Italian and other suchlike establishments, they're nearly all rip-off merchants.
Enjoy, a wonderful city.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

An Watcher

Didn't know the anthropoid story until I came back.  If I ever go again I will definitely visit that spot. 
Nice city but I did expect it to be cheaper.  Stay off the beaten trek for the cheaper establishments

Tony Baloney

Quote from: An Watcher on December 03, 2018, 10:01:30 PM
Didn't know the anthropoid story until I came back.  If I ever go again I will definitely visit that spot. 
Nice city but I did expect it to be cheaper.  Stay off the beaten trek for the cheaper establishments
Like a lot of Eastern European places it has been on the radar for tourists and stag dos for a long time now.

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on December 03, 2018, 06:17:53 PM
I see this thread hasn't been updated in a while just wondering if anyone's been recently and has any advice on things to do??

Heading over for the weekend with my wife and although I'm sure the Markets will be good it would be great to get a bit more of an idea of what to do before we go!!

Beer in the Tiger Bar

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274707-d607212-Reviews-U_Zlateho_Tygra-Prague_Bohemia.html

Food in the TV Tower. I'm not great with heights but it was grand after some wine!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274707-d4881452-Reviews-Zizkov_Televison_Tower-Prague_Bohemia.html

Not as cultured as these other poster by the looks of it!

screenexile

Cheers lads will be sure to check some of those out!!