"9/11The Falling Man" Now on Channel 4

Started by Balboa, September 06, 2007, 09:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

[The windows were so narrow because the architect that designed it was scared of heights and the narrow windows alleviated it a bit for him./i] Balboa do you make this stuff up in your spare time. The windows were narrow because of the height of the buildings. When you get up to them heights window width's have to be kept as narrow as possible for structural reasons.

Balboa

Quote from: Hereiam on September 07, 2007, 10:49:29 AM
[The windows were so narrow because the architect that designed it was scared of heights and the narrow windows alleviated it a bit for him./i] Balboa do you make this stuff up in your spare time. The windows were narrow because of the height of the buildings. When you get up to them heights window width's have to be kept as narrow as possible for structural reasons.

No i read it in the book"102 Minutes", i will depend on your superior knowledge as you have obviously researched the subject more deeply than the two authors.

Hereiam

Well 8 years workin in the engineering end of things counts for nothing when you have an author tryin to romanticize his work. Excuse me.

Balboa

Quote from: Hereiam on September 07, 2007, 10:59:10 AM
Well 8 years workin in the engineering end of things counts for nothing when you have an author tryin to romanticize his work. Excuse me.

::)  ::)  ::)

J70

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on September 07, 2007, 08:37:34 AM
As bad as any normal Iraqi going to work and getting blown up on the bus into town.

Yes, obviously.

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on September 07, 2007, 08:37:34 AMI see America's favourite bogey man OBL is about to make his first 'broadcast' since Oct 04, as we approach the 6th anniversary of 9/11. And just as the American generals are about to release their latest report on their so-called 'war against those pesky terrorists in Iraq (?) who caused 9/11'.

Poor old Dubya.

Is Bin Laden some kind of folk hero for you? Sticking it to Dubya and the yanks!

mannix

j70,
is the face on your member thing the fella that was in the good,bad and ugly?

J70

Quote from: mannix on September 07, 2007, 01:31:31 PM
j70,
is the face on your member thing the fella that was in the good,bad and ugly?

Yes, Eli Wallach (as Tuco).

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: J70 on September 07, 2007, 01:23:28 PM

Is Bin Laden some kind of folk hero for you? Sticking it to Dubya and the yanks!

Ehh, no. I don't recall saying that. It just seems that Osama is wheeled out every now and again to frighten the Americans into continuing in their blind crusade to free the world, ma.

PS I think the world will be safer with the 'political' demise of this dangerous, volatile, simplistic super-hero, i.e. GWB

Have a nice day.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

J70

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on September 07, 2007, 02:17:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 07, 2007, 01:23:28 PM

Ehh, no. I don't recall saying that. It just seems that Osama is wheeled out every now and again to frighten the Americans into continuing in their blind crusade to free the world, ma.

PS I think the world will be safer with the demise of this dangerous, volatile, simplistic super-hero, i.e. GWB

Have a nice day.

On the contrary, Bush and his administration have done everything they can to downplay the threat of Bin Laden over the past five years, mainly because they couldn't get him. It runs along the line of sneering that he is hiding out in a cave in the mountainous border of Pakistan and Afghanistan and isn't really of much importance anymore. One of the biggest objections to the war in Iraq in the US is that they have put everything into Iraq at the cost of Afghanistan and the search for Bin Laden.

And BTW, Its Al Qaida that does the press releases of Bin Laden, not the American government. If the US media just ignored stuff like this upcoming tape, you'd probably be condemning that too.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Sorry, I'm not convinced. You hear and believe what you want to.

As far as I am aware, Bush Jnr has never downplayed this bogey man. What he has done, and has duped much of the American public into believing since 2001, is that Iraq, Saddam, OBL and the rest are all inextricably linked to 9/11.

The West created OBL for their own purposes. And now the West have a 'war' they cannot win, isolating Muslim people even much more.

If OBL is dead or alive, it really doesn't matter. He's still there as a threat by this administration anytime the American public feel 'drained' (and therefore moving towards the Democrats) by their efforts in this far off land I-raq.

J70

I suggest you do a bit of research then. I live in the States, I listen to the news and the talkshows and read the NY Times every day. There is no question that Bush has definitely downplayed the importance of getting Bin Laden in recent years.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

You listen to and read the US version of the news, I totally understand that.

I don't.

But I'd like to know what the voice of America thinks the US army are doing in Iraq, 6 years after 9/11.

mannix

This idea of defending  liberty and freedom  is a joke, attacking Iraq was always about oil and only oil.The beauty of it all for the big men in charge is its easy to get support by telling the public through the media that the threat level is orange or pink or whatever.The americans are a very gullible people,they believe anything and the media are totally biased to influence them.

J70

Quote from: mannix on September 07, 2007, 03:59:57 PM
This idea of defending  liberty and freedom  is a joke, attacking Iraq was always about oil and only oil.The beauty of it all for the big men in charge is its easy to get support by telling the public through the media that the threat level is orange or pink or whatever.The americans are a very gullible people,they believe anything and the media are totally biased to influence them.

I live in New York, a city where the "threat level" is always at least orange and where periodic raises are met with a collective yawn. They are viewed with such cynicism at this stage (along with the suspected political motivation, the threats are so vague as to be of little or no use) that Mayor Mike Bloomberg reacted to a recent one by basically saying the Feds were overreacting and exaggerating the level of the threat (I think he also reacted similarly to the "plan" to blow up the fuel depots at JFK airport).

J70

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on September 07, 2007, 02:58:18 PM
You listen to and read the US version of the news, I totally understand that.

I don't.

The implication of course being that you are therefore better informed! :o

I don't quite see how you could have a better command of what goes on in the states if you don't read or listen to US-based news. And just what is the "US version" of the news? The US new media doesn't begin and end with Fox News. The news and analysis available over here covers the entire political spectrum and is freely available to anyone. I like to be informed of what all sides of an issue are, so I listen to some of the right-wing talk shows, National Public Radio and the NY Times (which are fairly moderate and, excepting the NY Times opinion page, neutral), the likes of Keith Oberman on MSNBC (the nemesis of Bush, O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh etc), the hilarious Bill Maher (I can't believe someone in Britain hasn't picked up his show yet), and various other papers, tv shows and websites (I even, gasp, get to read the likes of Robert Fisk on the London Independent's website!). There is a hell of lot more variety in the range of opinion and the criticism and analysis of the respective parties and the government in the US media than there is in Ireland. If you think Bush (or any other politician) gets a free ride or doesn't undergo merciless criticism in the US media, then you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

My point about Bush's trying to sideline the importance of the personal capture of Bin Laden stands.

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on September 07, 2007, 02:58:18 PM
But I'd like to know what the voice of America thinks the US army are doing in Iraq, 6 years after 9/11.

You want my opinion, or you are assuming that because I don't automatically agree with the reflex negative analysis of everything US, that I must be a Bush supporter?

For what its worth, they are obviously bogged down in a quagmire, although I'm sure the upcoming and eagerly anticipated Petreaus interim report will be full of "hope" about the effectiveness of the "surge", if not the prospects of the Iraqi government and armed forces.  I didn't support them going in there, but now that they're there and they've made an almighty mess of things, I think the US has a duty to do whatever they can to clean it up and get the fcuk out of there as quickly as possible. If that means splitting the country to avoid civil war or whatever, so be it, if that is what the Iraqis want. I can see them being there for many years though.