"Football For All" - Ardoyne Style

Started by Evil Genius, July 11, 2007, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Sean Paul Murray, the IFA's Grassroots Development Officer for North & West Belfast was on BBC News this morning publicising the second running of an annual football (soccer, if you prefer) tournament for youngsters he's promoting over the Twelfth Fortnight in Ardoyne.

Last year's inaugural event was very successful, so much so that he received an Official UEFA Award for "Most Valuable Grassroots Event of 2006". Indeed, it may not be entirely coincidental that 2006 was the first time in over 30 years that the Army/Police weren't called in to quell rioting by local youths in the area.

This year promises to be bigger and better, as the event takes hold:

Lee Carroll (Grassroots Manager), Brendan Clarke (North Belfast Interface Network), Norman McNarry (George Best Foundation), Sean Paul Murray (Grassroots Officer), Barbara McNarry (George Best Foundation), Tomas Turley (Ardoyne Youth Club), Fr.Aidan Troy

http://www.irishfa.com/grassroots/grassroots-development-project/news/2667/grassroots-development-officer-receives-special-uefa-award/
GRASSROOTS DEVELOPMENT OFFICER RECEIVES SPECIAL UEFA AWARD
19/12/2006
The IFA Grassroots Development Officer for North & East Belfast 'Sean Paul Murray' has been officially recognized by UEFA for his promotion of Grassroots Football.

In a recent ceremony Lee Carroll (IFA Grassroots Manager) handed over a plaque celebrating his achievement of hosting the country's 'Most Valuable Grassroots Event'.

This event took place over the traditionally tense 'July Week' in the Ardoyne area. The IFA's Grassroots Development Officer with Belfast City Council for Belfast North and East, Sean Paul Murray, along with Norman McNarry of the George Best Foundation and local Parish Priest  Fr Aidan Troy , looked for ways to provide constructive and enjoyable activity for young people in the Ardoyne area of Belfast .

The idea of running an evening soccer tournament took shape, in line with the aspirations of the George Best Foundation and the result was the first ever George Best Trophy Competition.

In partnership with the Ardoyne Marrowbone Community Empowerment Partnership and the North Belfast Interface Network, months of preparation and organisation went into the competition.  This paid off when, on the first evening (Monday July 10th) over 300 people of all ages turned up to take part.

Sean Paul said:

"I'm overjoyed with the huge amount of people from all ages who turned up on the first night of the competition. It was a great success and a very enjoyable evening for all involved. Everyone who participated added to the fun, family atmosphere and I'm delighted to say that the community and the George Best charity will have benefited a lot from the massive turn out. It was an extremely worthwhile venture for all parties – football, the community, and the George Best Foundation, and I hope the rest of the competition is as successful"

The competition ran from Monday July 10 – Friday July 14 and matches were played each night from 7pm to 10pm at The Holy Cross Boys' School pitches in the Ardoyne area ofBelfast . There were three age groups (14-16 years, 16-18 years and 18-plus) within the competition and a donation is to be made to the George Best Foundation from the registration fees.

This initiative attracted wide interest and very positive coverage from local press, TV and Radio.  Certainly the Ardoyne area, in general, enjoyed a more peaceful week than in previous years and it is to be hoped that the provision of alternative, enjoyable activity may have contributed to this.

Such was the success of this first competition that plans are already being made to repeat it next July, and hopefully for years to come.  Great credit is due to Sean Paul and all those who put so much hard work into this project.

Such positive co-operation among bodies such as Belfast City Council, the Clergy, the George Best Foundation and local Community Groups is an example of the good work which can be achieved through the IFA's Grassroots Programme.

Teams and officials involved in the event were also rewarded with footballs and t-shirts from UEFA as reward for their achievements.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Well done to all involved, hope it is as successful this year, the kids in Ardoyne need schemes like these over the summer months to keep them active.
Tbc....

Square Ball

Kids everywhere need orginised events to keep them occupied over the summer months
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Balboa

Quote from: Square Ball on July 11, 2007, 11:42:12 AM
Kids everywhere need orginised events to keep them occupied over the summer months

Exactly Squareball, its similar to West Belfast where all the parents of the hoods/street corner drinkers say there is nothing for them to do ! A lot of them dont want to be at anything that does not involve budweiser or glue.

Shamrock Shore

Quotebudweiser

my - that's posh. Dutch Gold not the tipple of choice as it is here for the skangers?

Square Ball

Balboa

exactly, orginised sport helps everyone, the kids, the parents and the community. I am in the Ormeau road and we are lucky with events over the summer for the kids, Bredagh do the Cul Camp and Rosario do football stuff, summer schemes and the like. mind you there are the usual suspects who dont want to do anything other than make everyones life a misery, you know the type, blame everyone except for themselves, hunts in packs, no respect, stand outside shops with carryouts, slabber, throw drink at people thinking its funny, and when they are challanged, touch me and i get you arrested.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Balboa

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 11, 2007, 12:03:35 PM
Quotebudweiser

my - that's posh. Dutch Gold not the tipple of choice as it is here for the skangers?

No its Bud for earlier on the day until they move onto something harder later in the evening, itn probably helps that the off licenses sell about 20 btls for about £11, so a dole/DLA cheque can buy quite a bit of soup in the West.

magpie seanie