"Born Fighting" - The story of the Ulster Scots (UTV programme)

Started by Evil Genius, February 02, 2011, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Basicially mw you are whatever you wish to be depending on whom you are talking to at the time.

This northern Irish of whch you speak? where does somebody get a passport for that nationality? Ballymena? Portydown?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

MW

Quote from: stew on February 06, 2011, 03:08:18 PM
Basicially mw you are whatever you wish to be depending on whom you are talking to at the time.

Nope. That's far from what I said.

This northern Irish of whch you speak? where does somebody get a passport for that nationality? Ballymena? Portydown?

Can't get a Scottish, English or Welsh passport either. What's your point?

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 04, 2011, 07:17:09 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 04, 2011, 09:06:28 AM
Quote from: Poc me on February 04, 2011, 09:00:24 AM

Oh and Saffron Sam, if you're going to rate the quality of someones responses based on the number of posts they make then thats just a tad snobbish.

I also consider someone's ability to use the apostrophe when rating the quality of his / her responses.
In that case, you might be advised to use apostrophes correctly.

That is, the personal possessive does not take the apostrophe, otherwise it would be included in "his", "hers", "ours" or "theirs" etc.

And that would look silly, just like you...

Er, surely an intellectual gaint like yourself would know that there is an exception to the rule you quote, namely the apostrophe does occur in the possessive case of indefinite pronouns such as anybody's or someone's. We did that in first year.

Not for the first time in our dealings, it would appear that it's you, rather than I, who is looking silly.

Wally.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Tony Baloney

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 07, 2011, 08:13:18 AM

Oh and Saffron Sam, if you're going to rate the quality of someones responses based on the number of posts they make then thats just a tad snobbish.

I also consider someone's ability to use the apostrophe when rating the quality of his / her responses.

That is, the personal possessive does not take the apostrophe, otherwise it would be included in "his", "hers", "ours" or "theirs" etc.

Er, surely an intellectual gaint like yourself would know that there is an exception to the rule you quote, namely the apostrophe does occur in the possessive case of indefinite pronouns such as anybody's or someone's. We did that in first year.

Not for the first time in our dealings, it would appear that it's you, rather than I, who is looking silly.

Wally.
Gaint.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 07, 2011, 08:56:10 AM

Wally.
Gaint.

Just too quick there Tony. Thankfully it was you and not the gaint himself!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 07, 2011, 09:03:05 AM

Wally.
Gaint.

You could fix it and we could delete these posts before he sees it.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 07, 2011, 09:08:35 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 07, 2011, 09:03:05 AM

Wally.
Gaint.

You could fix it and we could delete these posts before he sees it.

Thought about that, but I reckon there is a hell of a difference between a transposition error and ignorance of the apostrophe. One is a regular mistake that most people will make, the other an unforgivable abomination.

Banana Man

Quote from: MW on February 06, 2011, 01:18:32 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on February 03, 2011, 09:34:26 AM
also interesting that these ulster scots names don't have a 'Mc' or 'Mac' in them,

Eh?

Plenty of Ulster-Scots (or Scots-Irish) names have a Mc/Mac in them, including my own :-\

i was referring to EG's post above mine that you quoted, he cited planter names and i was highlighting the fact that none had mc in them