"Always Keep on the Right Side of the Truth"

Started by Evil Genius, June 01, 2009, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

In a "Sunday Life Exclusive"(!), they report that on a radio interview he gave in Dublin yesterday, Gerry Adams mentioned the inspiration he took from Monty Python's "Try to Look on the Bright side of Life" to get him through the hard times when he was in prison*.

According to the Sinn Fein President, he and his fellow Republican comrades enjoyed dark humour and belted out the ditty despite savage beatings etc.
Specifically he said: "Away down at the bottom of the wing we heard 'Always look on the bright side of life' and before you knew it you had 100 men singing this at the top of their voices"

Gerry Adams was in prison from 1973 to 1977.

Monty Python recorded "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" in 1979... ::)

P.S. Is there any chance Adams wrote the song for Monty Python when he was in prison?

* - For NOT being in the IRA, btw
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Surely this song(Always look on the bright side of Life, by the way) is ages old. Did the Monty Python team not just mess around with the lyrics a bit?

A Quinn Martin Production

I beleive the song was written by Eric Idle specifically for the film.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2009, 02:14:44 PM
Surely this song(Always look on the bright side of Life, by the way) is ages old. Did the Monty Python team not just mess around with the lyrics a bit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_Look_on_the_Bright_Side_of_Life
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

full back

Doogie Browser

The Sunday Life is a piece of shit when you look at it.

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

muppet

Always look on the bright side of Revisionism
da dum,
da da da da da dum.
MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

Quote from: full back on June 01, 2009, 02:40:00 PM
Slow weekend EG?

Picked up a free Sunday Life at the airport, had nothing else to read whilst waiting for my flight. That Adams story was just about the "highlight" of the whole 100-odd pages.

Speaking of which, any comment on the story itself?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

I would have thought the boys would have entertained themselves with rebel songs, not with Monty Python brit shit?

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

full back

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 01, 2009, 03:21:07 PM
Quote from: full back on June 01, 2009, 02:40:00 PM
Slow weekend EG?

Picked up a free Sunday Life at the airport, had nothing else to read whilst waiting for my flight. That Adams story was just about the "highlight" of the whole 100-odd pages.

Speaking of which, any comment on the story itself?

The themmuns version of Tony Fearon

On the story itself, if true, it looks as though Gerry was talking sh1te  :o

whiskeysteve

No doubt this will be front page on the Irish News - if only they could link somehow to Caitriona Ruane...
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

118cmal

I can just imagine the reaction on here if a Unionist MP can out with the same bullsh1t...