TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Wouldn't argue with #1. I have never heard of Atlanta in the Top 10.

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 27, 2022, 01:17:59 PM
Wouldn't argue with #1. I have never heard of Atlanta in the Top 10.

I really like it. Very gritty with some real comedic moments definitely worth a watch!

rosnarun

Quote from: laoislad on August 25, 2022, 03:08:46 PM
Quote from: Targetman on August 24, 2022, 11:23:40 PM
Watching The Wire, Stringer just got whacked, bad shit!!
Spoiler!!
spoler alert

Just catching up with Dallas  it was fecking Kristin
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Aristo 60

One gripe I have with ROP is that the most primitive race nearly all have bad Irish accents. It feels a bit racist to me - why can't they have russian or australian accents?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 29, 2022, 12:08:01 PM
One gripe I have with ROP is that the most primitive race nearly all have bad Irish accents. It feels a bit racist to me - why can't they have russian or australian accents?

Would that not still be racist to them? They have an accent, so. If you look to be offended then you will be, at anything
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/sep/28/irish-people-have-faced-centuries-of-discrimination-why-are-lord-of-the-rings-accents-so-offensively-bad

Great article on this here.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 29, 2022, 12:20:40 PM

Would that not still be racist to them? They have an accent, so. If you look to be offended then you will be, at anything

It would still be racist, yes, but I'd have no gripe with it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 29, 2022, 02:01:20 PM

So accents allowed? unless its showing them to be ordinary people  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 29, 2022, 12:35:36 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/sep/28/irish-people-have-faced-centuries-of-discrimination-why-are-lord-of-the-rings-accents-so-offensively-bad

Great article on this here.

Good read that. Accents have been used as a very lazy shorthand to differentiate in the show. A weak play to an undiscerning US audience.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

thewobbler

Having now turned off The Old Man, Terminal List, and Jack Ryan over the past few months for the same reason, can I ask why why why is American TV obsessed with one man having the vision, strength, technique, and reflexes to take out entire squadrons by himself?

dec

Watching Bad Sisters on Apple TV+, not sure if that is available in Ireland. OK, doesn't take its self too seriously.

Milltown Row2

Love life on Netflix, decent wee show

Main Street

I haven't and most probably will not watch ROP
Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 29, 2022, 02:01:20 PM

I haven't watched that program and most probably wont.
Have you watched Disney's Dumbo or Lion King? Both IMO  are blatantly racist.  Where the good for nothing crows and bottom feeding Hyenas have black American ghetto accents?
Perhaps in that Irish accent thing you refer to has more to do with ignorant stereotype, than being racist?  'White peoples' racism' doesn't quite meet the standard of racism.

Farrandeelin

The Good Doctor on sky witness is very good.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thewobbler

The Andor series is on course to be the Star Wars output since Rogue One. Pacing is really good. Story is more human. The action is more realistic (allowing for futuristic weaponry etc). Problem undertones of a western storyline a la the original Star Wars.