Underage squads 2024

Started by beano, March 10, 2024, 10:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beano

Any one know how our u20s and minors are going in hurling and football?

Also how are our development squads getting on ? I know its early but we need strong development squads to bring quality players onto our senior teams in the coming years.

Ogie

On the hurling side of the house -

Ross Young GDA/ Brian Ging & Martin O Connell looking after S&C

Hurling & Gym based in Centre of Excellence

U14 Management - Trevor Moore, Seamus Dwyer, Brendan Lowry, Robert Delaney, Shane Cahill, David Sheeran, Eric Killeen

Carrying 50 players, organisation & training is top class, I would say credit to Keegan here his first management team to recruit.
Was present at their presentation to parents, excellent 
Have beaten North Tipp & Westmeath recently

U15 Management - David O Mahoney, Brendan Phelan, Johnny Holland, Cathal Brophy & Aaron Whelan, a little later to get going and fill these roles, carrying approx 36 on panel, have beaten Westmeath & Meath recently

U16 / Celtic Challenge Management - Brian Flanagan, Pat Kirby, Noel Kavanagh, plus one more
With this team since u14, panel smaller at present as 8-10 of the stronger u16 on minor panel & weaker minors back training with this panel.

U17 - Glen McEvoy, Dermot McGill, Ger Cuddy, Mark Dunne,
Training hard, suffered three serious injuries to three main players, despite that some decent results recently, beat a Wexford team last Saturday, playing Kildare in first round on Saturday week the 23rd.

Best of luck to all!

Hurling123

Seeing the minor hurling squad several times this year. I think I could count 15 of the this year u16s with them .
  I experienced them against Westmeath a couple of weeks ago .

Dreadful what happened that night.
Management alot to answer for

clonadmad

Quote from: Hurling123 on March 15, 2024, 07:24:47 PMSeeing the minor hurling squad several times this year. I think I could count 15 of the this year u16s with them .

What was "dreadful" ?

Zooming around

Quote from: Hurling123 on March 15, 2024, 07:24:47 PMSeeing the minor hurling squad several times this year. I think I could count 15 of the this year u16s with them .

What happened here?

georgedoylesrightleg

small bitta spockin. lad came out worse of it. move on

Laois man

Best of luck to our minors and seniors this Saturday 👍

Mellicker

Are we more or less an u16s team this year for Minor Hurling?
Just checked, we're in with Carlow, Kerry, and Kildare in tier 2 - first up Kildare away on Saturday

20's Footballers out next Tuesday against Carlow at home, in a group with Wexford and Wicklow 

Minor footballers home to Dublin next week, in a group with Longford and Offaly too

20's Hurlers not out til April v Kilkenny and Wexford

How are we shaping up on these fronts?

Would be nice to get a run in a few of these competitions...

redsetanta

Best of luck to the U20 footballers tonight and the minors tomorrow night.

Are either of these groups expected to do well this year?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Game tonight changed to Laois COE
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great win tonight for our U-20 players in horrible conditions. Level at half time but really got stuck in  in the 2nd half and came out deserving winners. Wexford away next week..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

georgedoylesrightleg

great is a stretxh. got it done but hard work. took goals well. carlow missed there goals, browns great bitta stuff. young o brien was great, breedin is mighty. murphys an animal for work, more breedin.

redsetanta

Blueforever

If we needed to know the state of football and hurling underage in the country we got our answer tonight and last Saturday in Hawkfield.The scandal ofthe lack of promotion Gaelic games in Portlaoise and Mountmellick is disgraceful.if neither clubs is unable or unwilling to improve there lot the country board has a duty to intervene as it's their brief to promote Gaelic games in the country imagine the big schools in both towns playing in B and C competition and unless something is done Country footballers will be vying with Waterford and London to see who can reach Division 3 and our hurlers will be competing with the likes of meath and Kerry for many years to come

Sanny

Quote from: Blueforever on March 27, 2024, 09:28:12 PMIf we needed to know the state of football and hurling underage in the country we got our answer tonight and last Saturday in Hawkfield.The scandal ofthe lack of promotion Gaelic games in Portlaoise and Mountmellick is disgraceful.if neither clubs is unable or unwilling to improve there lot the country board has a duty to intervene as it's their brief to promote Gaelic games in the country imagine the big schools in both towns playing in B and C competition and unless something is done Country footballers will be vying with Waterford and London to see who Ellie's can reach Division 3 and our hurlers will be competing with the likes of meath and Kerry for many years to come

Many other clubs represented in these schools other than Portlaoise & Mountmellick. Very unfair to suggest the clubs are unwilling to improve the standards in the school. The schools themselves have a responsibility too but must be aligned with proper structured support from the county board . This is not happening enough in the secondary schools in Laois. Portlaoise have a GDO going into the primary schools in the town but this is a massive job. I'm not sure about Mountmellick?

In order to improve the standards in all secondary schools in the county it needs buy in from the school staff , county board and clubs . This is not happening.