Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

The Tailltean Cup is our grade along with 15 other counties, and we would definitely like to be competitive in it. At the minute that's a bigger priority than throwing the whole barrel at Armagh. Andy now has time to freshen up the squad, get injured players back on the pitch and hopefully finish the year strongly. Imo...

EOC1923

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 28, 2023, 10:47:43 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on March 28, 2023, 10:40:54 AM
With Fermanagh and Cavan going up are they not in the Tailteann Cup now ? We would appear to have as good a chance as any in that competition.

Was wondering that too EOC. Think Clare and Limerick having been regelated are now in Tailteann cup
Westmeath are in Sam Maguire also as last years Tailteann winners

Kidder81

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 28, 2023, 10:40:54 AM
With Fermanagh and Cavan going up are they not in the Tailteann Cup now ? We would appear to have as good a chance as any in that competition.

I didn't think promotion from Div 3 could get you into All Ireland series, you would have to get to provincial final

16 teams in all Ireland series, Westmeath already there after winning Tailteean last year. 8 provincial finalists, the other 7 from league positions

Spike

The league campaign was just ok, There are ifs, buts and maybes in every league campaign, some positives and some negatives but the biggest positive was that we stayed up. 
It has to be said the bar has been significantly lowered for Andy. Div 3 survival only and now some appear to be satisfied with a Tailteann Cup run, already binning the Championship when it should be the other way around.  The Tailteann is like the Europa League and no one cares about it until you are in the final. I will go out on a limb and suggest a high number of those clamouring for Tailteann Cup priority have long time empty trophy cabinets in their clubs. 

Andy has been round a few corners and will only have eyes on the ulster championship.  if he didn't I would be seriously worried.   He has done enough this year to suggest he can build on this and with a full panel have a go at promotion next year.

but lets not be lowering his bar completely to a credible run in the Tailteann Cup.  Andy is here to make progress in the Championship, and being the competitive man he is I am sure that is his objective.   A run in the Tailteann will add a nice gloss and Antrim will try their best to make headway in it but it is a secondary issue.  Andy's focus is on championship where it should be, not second tier.   

Kidder81

Quote from: Spike on March 28, 2023, 11:34:58 AM
The league campaign was just ok, There are ifs, buts and maybes in every league campaign, some positives and some negatives but the biggest positive was that we stayed up. 
It has to be said the bar has been significantly lowered for Andy. Div 3 survival only and now some appear to be satisfied with a Tailteann Cup run, already binning the Championship when it should be the other way around.  The Tailteann is like the Europa League and no one cares about it until you are in the final. I will go out on a limb and suggest a high number of those clamouring for Tailteann Cup priority have long time empty trophy cabinets in their clubs. 

Andy has been round a few corners and will only have eyes on the ulster championship.  if he didn't I would be seriously worried.   He has done enough this year to suggest he can build on this and with a full panel have a go at promotion next year.

but lets not be lowering his bar completely to a credible run in the Tailteann Cup.  Andy is here to make progress in the Championship, and being the competitive man he is I am sure that is his objective.   A run in the Tailteann will add a nice gloss and Antrim will try their best to make headway in it but it is a secondary issue.  Andy's focus is on championship where it should be, not second tier.

Can't argue with any of that

imtommygunn

A good bit of that I don't disagree with however... if we don't beat Armagh do you have him down as a failure?

Spike

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 28, 2023, 11:57:08 AM
A good bit of that I don't disagree with however... if we don't beat Armagh do you have him down as a failure?

No, he wont be a failure if we don't beat Armagh.  All we can expect or hope for from any manager is progress. In some ways playing a Div 2 team in the Championship is in our favour as it is doubtful Armagh will be treating the Antrim game as do or die and there lies our opportunity. The pressure is off Andy somewhat as Antrim will be massive underdogs.  Drawing Fermanagh in the championship would have came with more expectations.   

A hungry Armagh would be a much larger obstacle. 

SaffronSports

Cavan and Fermanagh are likely to still be in the Tailteann Cup. Only 16 go into the Sam Maguire and that includes Westmeath and one of Sligo, Leitrim, London or New York. Unless Cavan or Fermanagh reach the Ulster final they'll be Tailteann Cup. If another div 3 or 4 team make a provincial final, I think Meath might drop in too.

I didn't see any of the football matches but read this thread regularly. Pre league, the attitude was staying up would be an achievement the way things were going. Now those same people are saying just staying up was a bad campaign. It's tough enough for a county like Antrim without our own ripping into the team.

InnocentByStander

I see where you are coming from however, you got to be realistic. Look at the wider picture.

EOC1923

Quote from: SaffronSports on March 28, 2023, 01:20:13 PM
Cavan and Fermanagh are likely to still be in the Tailteann Cup. Only 16 go into the Sam Maguire and that includes Westmeath and one of Sligo, Leitrim, London or New York. Unless Cavan or Fermanagh reach the Ulster final they'll be Tailteann Cup. If another div 3 or 4 team make a provincial final, I think Meath might drop in too.

I didn't see any of the football matches but read this thread regularly. Pre league, the attitude was staying up would be an achievement the way things were going. Now those same people are saying just staying up was a bad campaign. It's tough enough for a county like Antrim without our own ripping into the team.
You could still stay up, be happy about it but also realise it was a 'bad campaign' as you put it.

Spike

Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 28, 2023, 01:22:11 PM

I see where you are coming from however, you got to be realistic. Look at the wider picture.

I am realistic and have panoramic views  :)        Ulster Championship is forever the baseline.   By all means make the most of the Tailteann once we are there but lets not be embracing it and looking forward already being in it.    We should be dragged into it, almost embarrassed playing in it and using it as motivation to do our utmost to get back out of it.    Andy's not here for the Tailteann Cup. 

country bumpkin

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 28, 2023, 11:52:41 AM

Can’t argue with any of that

Wise words indeed....akin to failure in the championship and turning attention to the 'O' Cahan Cup.....

'Freshen the squad''? Is that a call up to personnel who did not agree to league duty.....?

Retention of third grade status is the prize gained and an sure full attention will now be totally focused on championship and the 'Orange men'

bannside

Disagree Spike tbh, but sure it's only individual opinions. Andys opinion is the one that matters, and yes he will want to put on a good show against Armagh.

But - its a long time since we judged any manager on the championship, we all know Antrims priority is being competitive / successful in our own grade. Now that the GAA has put additional emphasis on the Tailteean Cup its a competition we should be embracing.

We want to be competitive against Armagh- but personally I would love to win the Tailltean,  I think that would give us a much bigger boost than you think and set us up really well for a proper crack at Div 3 next year.

To translate that thinking to club football and equate it to bring mentally weak it should be pointed out that before any club has aspirations of winning a senior championship it needs to navigate its way through junior , intermediate and the lower leagues to earn the right to dine in that company. We all know that's not where we are atm, so why not prioritise the competition of the grade we are at?

Spike

BS, fully entitled to your viewpoint and i get your thinking,  I just would differ from it. A Tailteann win can only be good for us, no negatives at all but I think its Plan B rather than Plan A.

InnocentByStander

Everyone has their own view and that but the long and the short of it is we aren't going to win the Ulster Championship.

But my question is when and will ever our championship aspirations be winning the Ulster championship.
I believe a major factor in our county under performing begins at the schools, there should be much more done to promote football in schools.
With the whole Antrim schools cup that is definitely a start, but a county the size of Antrim to not have a school constantly in the Macrory cup is a disgrace.

You can see the repercussions of this at club level as well clubs like Cargin, Creggan and Aghagllon thieving because their young players are playing schools football at the highest level, as they tend to send their players to St Mary's Magherafelt St Pats Maghera and St Ronans Lurgan who all have been prominent figures in the Ulster Colleges senior level now for a few years.

I believe if we have high profile GAA people poaching players for a certain schools, not only would the young persons' club see them improve and their club but this could help Antrim at the inter county stage as well.

If you want further examples: Pat Shivers, Sean O'neill from Cargin played Macorry football for Maghera Young Johsntone from Cargin was outstanding in winning a Macrory for St Marys Adam Loughran Luke Mulholland Played huge parts in winning not just a macrory but a Hogan aswell. All these players currently on the panel for Antrim
Look at Derry i wouldnt be surprised if everyone of their starters played Macrory football with a number of medals in there and even a few Hogan medals aswell.