Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Final 17th July

Started by never kickt a ball, July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Surely Brennan has to start in the QF but at the expense of who?

Whishtup

Tyrone pushing up on the keeper in the second half, forcing the long kickout and winning it around the middle was huge.  We snatched at many chances in the first, perhaps an indication of the pressure we were under to win this.  Hopefully those shackles are thrown off for the rest of the championship.  The subs are deadly.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 17, 2016, 08:22:37 PM

McNabb maybe even though he had a solid game today.

McCurry will be pushing hard too. Think I'd have Richie Donnelly in for McShane if he is back fit shortly, think he is a more polished player at this point in time.

omaghjoe

Quote from: screenexile on July 17, 2016, 08:13:00 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 17, 2016, 08:02:44 PM
Massive score from Sean Cavanagh when the fat was in the fire.
What a player.

Totally agree... He'll be mentioned alongside the games greats in years to come and he is definitely Tyronie's best ever players.

"Sean Cavanagh was one of the best players ever, but . . . "

but there was also Peter, Frank, and Ignatius, hard to choose

rrhf

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 17, 2016, 05:30:56 PM
Spot on bomber about the munroe shoulder. I think it might even have been  the winnin of the game for us

A real Carmen handshake!
What a hit from the Carmen man... as good as Ive seen.  Hard but fair... What more can we say about Sean the Captain. 
Hard luck Donegal, not much between the teams at all to be fair.  I have been critical before but I must say your supporters were class after the game..  Tyrone defence was class the best Ive seen in 8 years anyway.  A win which felt like the 90s or 80s Ulster wins.  There was an explosion of absolute joy after that game.  Meant a lot.. 
Well done lads.  Now go on and write your own chapter.. 

SouthDublinBro

Donegal folk can have no complaints about the result. Unlike last year when they somehow contrived to lose to a mediocre Monaghan side, they were well beaten by a far superior Tyrone today. Hopefully that's the end of themselves, Monaghan and Armagh for a long time. Their "style" of football will not be missed at the business end of the championship.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Golden Years

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 17, 2016, 08:22:37 PM

Mccrory. He brings nothing to the table.

Walter Cronc

McGlynn was caught blind by that hit. Wasn't square on.

How the hell does ONeill start ahead of McCurry and what exactly is Mc Shane supposed to do. Impressed by Sludden!

Conallach

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 17, 2016, 08:32:46 PM
Donegal folk can have no complaints about the result. Unlike last year when they somehow contrived to lose to a mediocre Monaghan side, they were well beaten by a far superior Tyrone today. Hopefully that's the end of themselves, Monaghan and Armagh for a long time. Their "style" of football will not be missed at the business end of the championship.

Aye Bro, I'm sure that today killed off the big Armagh challenge. Although I know that your posts are rarely in good faith, at the business end of the championship from 2011 on Donegal have come up with a dreadfully negative performance, a dull one, a routine one and two highly entertaining performances. As they'd say in baseball, they're batting .500.

Fair play to Tyrone today, they went and won the match when it was there to be won. They'd have won a replay handily enough, their supporters were very gracious winners offline and their star players shone when it mattered. I'd agree with the previous posters that Brennan probably deserves to start now, possibly at the expense of McNabb. Hopefully they can plow their way through to the final now, because there's something to this team.

Wildweasel74

McGlynn didnt see it coming but the pass from the donegal man left him open, thought it was a mighty hit, ref to tend to give the bone crunching tackles a free

Aaron Boone

Great point by Peter Harte at the death. He gave it some hoof.

BennyHarp

Quote from: time ticking away on July 17, 2016, 08:16:03 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2016, 07:40:37 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on July 17, 2016, 06:39:32 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 17, 2016, 06:29:00 PM
Just talking with a Meath lad there (not jinxy ;) ), who was equally bemused with Coldrick's black cards -- he didn't have a good game, which is nothing new with that particular individual.

Good win, if not a great spectacle, though it takes two to play that game.

Anyway, onwards we march :)

The real problem is that today epitomises the problems of football today. If it was only Tyrone and Donegal who played this way you could pass it off but it is most teams. The referees cannot be blamed for that.

Have a look at all of Tyrones other games this year. Pigeon holing them with all other defensive teams is very lazy. It was meeting fire with fire today. A battle bourne from familiarity and a bit of respect for what each had to offer. It was all about the win and expect Tyrone to resume the deep attacking system they've been bringing to the table all year when they hit Croker!
Wise up !!
Tyrone can only counter attack at pace if teams are stupid enough to push up when in possession and then more stupid enough to carry the ball into the tackle. Tyrone are very good at what they do. But how it looks totally depends on how smart/stupid the opposition are

You have to push up when in possession. How else down you score? Donegal showed that today! They thought that they could kick enough from distance to win the game as there was very little gaps in the Tyrone defence. They stopped even trying to penetrate Tyrone's 45m line. Silly in the extreme from Gallagher. So without an attack to counter against, Tyrone still won the game. I'd be happy enough with that.
That was never a square ball!!

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 17, 2016, 08:40:40 PM
McGlynn was caught blind by that hit. Wasn't square on.

How the hell does ONeill start ahead of McCurry and what exactly is Mc Shane supposed to do. Impressed by Sludden!

The hit on McGlynn was a foul but at the time the ref had decided not to give either team frees inside the 45. McGlynn was the one player on the Donegal team who could break the line for them and that hit ended Donegals chances.

Ronan mcnamee's nudge on mcfadden was also very important saved a one on one situation just as Donegal were up by a point.

Jinxy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 17, 2016, 05:25:36 PM
After seeing the Donnelly black card there for the first time from the television pictures?

A disgraceful decision, McHugh ran in a straight line into Donnelly after he released the ball when he had no need to. Donnelly did not change his direction or go out of his way to get him.

Also thought Rory Kavanagh committed the most blatant black card offence on half time and Anthony Thompson should have been off for a second yellow. Haven't seen these incidents again but they certainly looked the case from the stands. We were very badly hit by poor refereeing decisions once again today but the team showed huge character after a poor first half display and some really poor decisions against them.

Subs made a huge difference when they came in - Brennan, McGeary, McCurry with points, Monroe with a super shoulder. A log of questions answered again, three wins from here on in. I've thought we could do it from the start of the year and I still believe that way.

100% a black card.
Coldrick is the best ref in the country and he doesn't give them out lightly.
I'm feeling kind of well disposed towards Tyrone for once, so don't spoil it for me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.