Laois v Donegal

Started by laoislad, July 21, 2013, 11:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Probably a case of getting Lacey game time rather then not seeing he was struggling. I think Laosi have a great chance here, they are exactly the type of team that could beat a Donegal not firing on all cylinders.

Syferus

Time to look for some tickets for this one 8)

The Hyde would give this game more space to breath but our second home should make for a sweet little atmosphere with its small capacity.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on July 21, 2013, 11:46:57 PM
Wouldn't be the first time we knocked out defending All Ireland Champs if we were to bate Donegal.
We handed Tyrone back their Nordie arses on a plate back in 06

Time to let Billy out of his cage again.

You beat the Tyrone B team by 3 points. Its hardly something to boast about.

Donegal will hardly be quaking in their boots at the thought of facing Laois this weekend.

J70

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2013, 03:07:00 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 22, 2013, 02:18:14 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2013, 12:56:29 AM
The whole Kevin Cassidy incident is finally coming back around and biting Jim on the ass. License to gloat granted.

You'll have to explain the connection between Kevin Cassidy and today's result.

He's not going to solve all Donegal's problems but the lack of depth in Donegal's panel was exposed badly today. Everyone was crowing last year about how Jim dropped Cassidy and Donegal didn't skip a beat but they had a remarkable run of fitness in the business end of the season. Now that some holes are starting to form the lack of one of the county's best backs is hurting them.

Would Cassidy have helped sort out the soft spine of the Donegal defence today over a clearly not match-fit Lacey, be it replacing him directly or moving Lacey to a less essential area of the field? Almost certainly.

This isn't a wail on Jimmy thing, I have huge respect for him and expect Donegal to respond to loss in typical McGuiness fashion, but it does appear to have been folly to drop such a good player from such a shallow panel and on a decision that has contributed to their loss to Monaghan.

Maybe Cassidy would have helped, but I doubt it would have made much difference. Donegal's problems ran a lot deeper than an unfit Lacey. Plus, I've seen plenty of flat Donegal performances over the years, just like yesterday, with Cassidy in the team.   

5 Sams

Carrick on Shannon it is lads!!!
The Aristocrat Years

Conallach

Venue is a bit of a concern. Only holds 9k so tickets will be tight, and there is only one bus and no trains back to Dublin after the game - a bus I'll have to skip if it goes to extra time!  :-X

Syferus

Quote from: Conallach on July 22, 2013, 12:39:48 PM
Venue is a bit of a concern. Only holds 9k so tickets will be tight, and there is only one bus and no trains back to Dublin after the game - a bus I'll have to skip if it goes to extra time!  :-X

It's only getting the game instead of the Hyde because these R4 games are merry-go-rounds and we got Kildare-Sligo last year on top of plenty of other big games.

armaghniac

Either they are expecting the Donegal bandwagon not to bother or they are creating a bit of a ticket shortage here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J OGorman

Alot of Donegal supporters will have other plans this weekend but will be back should they reach Croke for the q/f..much the same as all counties :-)

Conallach

Where do the Bus Eireann buses stop in Carrick?

Sorry lads, I've never been.  :-[

Is it far from the ground?

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on July 22, 2013, 12:52:12 PM
Either they are expecting the Donegal bandwagon not to bother or they are creating a bit of a ticket shortage here.

If few Donegal fans turn up, I will not be surprised to see another flat performance. The lads might think what's the f**king point if all the bandwagon crowd abandon them after one bad performance.

I remember 2003 when we'd lost to Fermanagh in Brewster in possibly our worst Ulster performance (to that date!) ever. First game in the qualifiers was in Ballybofey against Longford (if I remember correctly) and an enthusiastic crowd lifted the boys and they went on a run to an unlucky AI semi-final loss against Armagh. Could do with some similar support this weekend.

spuds

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 22, 2013, 12:36:18 PM
Carrick on Shannon it is lads!!!
Think there will be a great atmosphere in Páirc Seán for this one, pitch only just outside the main drag and with the ground being full/near full any sort of close match will be electric. Carrick a great town for a feed of pints.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

squire_in_navy_slacks

Its hard to see who Id like to suffer more  ;D

or

hopefully this brat

Dont Matter

Everyone knows this is part of Jim bobs master plan. Make the players lose the game to Monaghan, without the players actually knowing they were going to lose of course. The players will now re-focus their minds, then beat Louaioaish, enter a game against one of the top 4 (they'd have to play them sometime anyway) with all guns blazing and stroll to back to back All Irelands.
Even Donegal fans are thinking about the draw for the quarters, they don't even know who they're playing this weekend. No point heading to Carrick, games already over.

Quote from: Zulu on July 22, 2013, 10:52:46 AM
Probably a case of getting Lacey game time rather then not seeing he was struggling. I think Laosi have a great chance here, they are exactly the type of team that could beat a Donegal not firing on all cylinders.
Quote from: Bingo on July 22, 2013, 10:48:51 AM
Loais by 57 points.

Donegal to drink 57 pints a man.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn