Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Quote from: AustinPowers on January 25, 2023, 04:59:01 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on January 25, 2023, 10:07:08 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on January 24, 2023, 09:23:39 PM
Out of interest,  how much would you likely pay for a week on  a Mediterranean cruise ?

Not my thing but herself  talks about it

For a couple, I'd say you'd be looking at in the region of 3k.  Obviously, there's different standards of cruises, I reckon the likes of Royal Carribbean or MSC would be in the 3k range for a couple, add in 2 or 3 kids and you wouldn't be long getting to 5k for a week. You also need to consider cost of flights to get to the ship in the first place.  Definitely not the cheapest of holidays.

Frig that , a couple of nights  in bundoran will do her rightly  ;D

;D you'd get about 6 weeks in Bundoran for that money.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Harold Disgracey

Has anyone been to Sicily? What are the best areas to stay.

maddog

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 08, 2023, 03:03:29 PM

Was in it a couple of years ago watching the Giro. We stayed in a place called Scopello up in the north west corner of it. Did a bit of driving around the place as well. The drivers are nuts, indicators - what indicators ? Food was amazing. Loved it and would go back in the morning if i could. Scariest ever landing at the airport as well, there was a 40mph wind blowing off the Sahara that was like a hair dryer in your face.

smort

Would highly recommend Syracuse, especially the old town, Ortigia. Taormina, Agrigento, Palermo all very good too

Weather, food, history...it has it all

Milltown Row2

Quote from: smort on February 08, 2023, 03:23:19 PM

Would highly recommend Syracuse, especially the old town, Ortigia. Taormina, Agrigento, Palermo all very good too

Flights into Palermo, but would like to hit somewhere else, Tony was on talking about it also...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2023, 03:24:45 PM

Flights into Palermo, but would like to hit somewhere else, Tony was on talking about it also...

Just seen that now, only flights from Ireland are into Palermo, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of hiring a car. Just somewhere to spend a relaxing week or so with maybe the odd day trip. Taormina does look good though.

smort

Have been three times, but only ever used public transport to get around. From experience, the buses aren't very reliable but the trains are OK. It's about 3 hours from Palermo to Agrigento at the south of the island. Its maybe 4 or 5 hours across the island to Taormina or Syracuse.

There were flights in to Catania at a stage which was great for getting to the east of the island, but think they have been scrapped

armaghniac

Sicily is a good spot, especially if you get there in the shoulder season when it is not burning hot. The food is marvellous and the idea of ice cream and a doughnut for breakfast is civilised.

Aer Lingus had flights to Catania and Ryanair had flights to Comiso in the south-east for a year or two.
Catania was good as it allowed easy access to nice places like Syracuse, but that route seems to be gone.

Taormina is a classy place and likely a good spot to relax in for a few days. Cefalù is closer to Palermo airport and handier for a day trip to Palermo.

I did drive around. Driving in Palermo would likely age you 30 years, so I didn't attempt that, but otherwise driving was OK.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 08, 2023, 03:47:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2023, 03:24:45 PM

Just seen that now, only flights from Ireland are into Palermo, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of hiring a car. Just somewhere to spend a relaxing week or so with maybe the odd day trip. Taormina does look good though.
Do a bit of research and keep me posted.  ;)

We are ditching the weans this year which is a bonus as dont need to fond things to keep them occupied.

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on January 25, 2023, 06:57:33 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on January 25, 2023, 05:52:04 PM

Geez Bundoran has gotten very run down. Was always a bit of a dump especially round the Twelfth when the Belfast crowd landed down but it's in rough shape altogether now.
Donegal as a whole is a bit shit.

RedHand88

Was there last year for the first time in years and was shocked. Nobody about at the end of June and everywhere looking extremely dated.

gawa316

Does anyone know if car hire places stay open 24 hrs? Have flights booked to Alicante that arrive at 1am.

Also which sites are best to book through?

NotedObserver

Quote from: trailer on February 09, 2023, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 25, 2023, 06:57:33 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on January 25, 2023, 05:52:04 PM

Geez Bundoran has gotten very run down. Was always a bit of a dump especially round the Twelfth when the Belfast crowd landed down but it's in rough shape altogether now.
Donegal as a whole is a bit shit.

Special place in heart for bundoran. Run down, dated, poor all round but the memories are great so still enjoy it

maggie

Thinking of going to a Eurocamp in Nice in the summer-first time. Will have two under 8 with us..not sure if we should hire a car though if all we need is there on the campsite. Any of you wise ones offer any advice. I wouldn't be keen on driving over there myself tbh.