The Official Roscommon Thread

Started by Shrewdness, November 30, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2017, 04:47:48 PM
Don't "lampoon" our lads.
Just didn't think he was as good as you used to make him out to be in your usual hyperbolic fashion.
We'd have a stronger panel if him, Collins the 2 Shines and 3 Dalys were included.
Anyway your cool clean hero has  3 year plan so everything will be just grand

You can hardly blame the management for either of the Shines' absences, and Collins was never going to be able to play for the county from America, but continue to try and lump very different situations together to suit your one note agenda.

Rossfan

My only agenda is for Ros to have their best players on the panel, properly trained for Senior IC football, with some semblance of a game plan and tactics.
I haven't seen much evidence of that this year but live in hope.......
Meanwhile you continue with the hero worship and attack anyone that doesn't blindly have the same view.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2017, 06:32:09 PM
My only agenda is for Ros to have their best players on the panel, properly trained for Senior IC football, with some semblance of a game plan and tactics.
Meanwhile you continue with the hero worship and attack anyone that doesn't blindly have the same view.

What you call hero worship is done who has continually criticised our defence and lack of conversion up front.

The real problem you have is I'm not a walking caricature that's willing to make snide comments or basically attack the manager on a personal level because of a few bad results.

Some here would do well to remember this is just sport and we're talking about actual people.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2017, 07:03:52 PM

What you call hero worship is done who has continually criticised our defence and lack of conversion up front.

The real problem you have is I'm not a walking caricature that's willing to make snide comments or basically attack the manager on a personal level because of a few bad results.

Some here would do well to remember this is just sport and we're talking about actual people.

McStay's inability to retain the services of, for example, the Dalys is not a personal criticism - it's a valid criticism of his management. Kevin has not been slow to make snide comments in the press himself, labelling the players who have not come back as responsible for some of the results last year, even though neither Ronan or Conor Daly were involved in the New York, Galway and Clare fiascos. And Niall was one of our consistently best performers.

You yourself are very quick to pick on Nigel for his criticism of players in the press.

McStay as a media pundit spent a lot of his time disparaging referees - and loved to have a good old whinge at the ones that "wronged" Mayo. Indeed, when he won the All-Ireland with Bridget's, he criticised the ref in his post-match speech for being biased because he was from Armagh.

He also criticised the Mayo players as sensitive souls when they objected to him and McStay

So hopefully he'll understand if we criticise some of his failings as a manager, and the inability to hold on to some of the better players is up there. BTW, has he still blacklisted Shannonside for Gay's criticism?

Like all supporters, hope he can prove us wrong this Summer. He still has a wonderful set of players at his disposal and we should be expecting better than we are getting. But it could be a lot better with a full panel.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on May 09, 2017, 07:48:06 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2017, 07:03:52 PM

McStay's inability to retain the services of, for example, the Dalys is not a personal criticism - it's a valid criticism of his management. Kevin has not been slow to make snide comments in the press himself, labelling the players who have not come back as responsible for some of the results last year, even though neither Ronan or Conor Daly were involved in the New York, Galway and Clare fiascos. And Niall was one of our consistently best performers.

You yourself are very quick to pick on Nigel for his criticism of players in the press.

McStay as a media pundit spent a lot of his time disparaging referees - and loved to have a good old whinge at the ones that "wronged" Mayo. Indeed, when he won the All-Ireland with Bridget's, he criticised the ref in his post-match speech for being biased because he was from Armagh.

He also criticised the Mayo players as sensitive souls when they objected to him and McStay

So hopefully he'll understand if we criticise some of his failings as a manager, and the inability to hold on to some of the better players is up there. BTW, has he still blacklisted Shannonside for Gay's criticism?

Like all supporters, hope he can prove us wrong this Summer. He still has a wonderful set of players at his disposal and we should be expecting better than we are getting. But it could be a lot better with a full panel.

I've very quick to 'pick' on a lad who rounded on his own players after a match? What Dineen did was worse than anything McStay has done.

McStay's biggest problem in the media is he's been too honest, that he doesn't just offer the trite nonsense you hear from others. I remember people complained when we had Evans giving it full-blast Kerry cute hoorisms to the media too, I think it's pretty obvious people in this county will find something to complain about regardless. He could have handled the Niall Daly situation better, but outside that most of the decisions were out of his control anyways. It's very easy to blame the manager for everything when something happens, even more easy in a county known throughout the country to rip managers to pieces.

Shannonside never retracted Gay's xenophobic rant as far as I'm aware, which was the only condition they needed to meet for relations to be repaired. Why they haven't says more about them than it does about McStay, to be honest.

Where you got the idea that the Daly situation is the personal criticism I'm talking about, lord only knows. What I'm talking about are the cheap shots at McStay without any evidence besides he was born in Mayo is beyond me. Some in the county seem to genuinely think he's in the job for money when he's retired from an officer's job in the military and took leave of very handy money in the media without any of the stress of actually putting your neck on the line. For what? Some golden pot of money from a CB that's barely able to field underage teams? Whatever McStay is getting it's not going to be so much more than he could get from other avenues.

Rossfan

Good post by weareros.
If KMcS is only getting expenses from the CB he'll cost about €5k.
Fair play to him ::)

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2017, 09:36:31 PM
Good post by weareros.
If KMcS is only getting expenses from the CB he'll cost about €5k.
Fair play to him ::)

Show me where I said that. Your ability to selectively read what you want to hear is incredible.

Rossfan

Did I mention you or your arse kicking ramblings anywhere?
We all heard (and read in this forum) what our manager us getting and we all know where it's coming from.
Enuf said  :-X

macdanger2

Not too subtle from our Galway neighbour to bring up threads like these, he might be better mulling over happenings closer to home

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation, if everyone involved isn't pulling in the same direction, it's very hard to make progress. Would have liked to see mcstay doing well even if it was with Ros but that seems unlikely at this stage.

Rossfan

We live in hope Mac......
The divisions started with the plot to dump Evans and were exacerbated by the plot to "disparage and undermine" Fergal and the Boyle boys.
We need to put in Kieran Mulvey as Cathaoirleach to try and restore harmony.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2017, 09:02:30 PM

I've very quick to 'pick' on a lad who rounded on his own players after a match? What Dineen did was worse than anything McStay has done.

I don't recall Dineen personally identifying any player. Both McStay and McHale have done that.

McStay's biggest problem in the media is he's been too honest, that he doesn't just offer the trite nonsense you hear from others.

Being honest or using the media to his advantage. When Niall Daly left the panel, McStay said that he left because he wasn't willing to fight for his place on the team. Now that to me smacked as using the media to set this agenda and in my opinion greatly disparaged Nial Daly. On the other players,  he described them as the players who had failed in the past. Honest, or setting an agenda?

Shannonside never retracted Gay's xenophobic rant as far as I'm aware, which was the only condition they needed to meet for relations to be repaired. Why they haven't says more about them than it does about McStay, to be honest.
Calling that xenophobia is as bad as those who wanted Stephen Fry charged for blasphemy. I'd use that word for real xenophobia (ie racists who don't want refugees on their shores). What happened on Shannonside was a co-commentator expressing the opinion that he didn't like Mayomen in charge of Roscommon, based on the amount of players they'd alienated. Everyone agreed it was a daft comment. But it was an opinion and for McStay and Roscommon County Board to ban all interviews with Shannonside was an over the top move.  And the interview with Marty after the match in the hail was another example of using the media to make all the focus on his place of birth and not address the frustration of Roscommon supporters losing talented players like the Dalys. The ban is more absurd given that the Mayo players objected to McStay and McHale because of comments McHale made about them in the media and McStay said god bless their sensitive souls or something to that effect. Well god bless his own sensitive soul.

Where you got the idea that the Daly situation is the personal criticism I'm talking about, lord only knows. What I'm talking about are the cheap shots at McStay without any evidence besides he was born in Mayo is beyond me.

One person said it, and hardly if anyone agreed with him. As people have said, now older people who depend on radio for their news and updates from management are denied that because of a big hissy fit over one man's comments.

As I said, I believe McStay has a very talented bunch of players at this disposal and should be contending for a Connacht title this year. I disagree with Gay Sheerin and believe he is very committed to the cause and always has been ver pro Roscommon as a media pundit. But I'd question his man management. The panel could be a lot stronger and he needs to find a way to build bridges with players like the Dalys again.

Avondhu star

Counties like Roscommon with a great football tradition and fine support need everyone pulling together. Going back to times like losing Frankie Dolan etc is no use. They had a good league last year so their is potential. Croke Park for the August weekend is achievable
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you