The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

All logic suggests that Leeds should be heading for a comfortable win tonight and a decisive advantage going into the last six games. However, Wigan at home at this time last season looked equally nailed on, even more so when we went one up against ten men in the first quarter. It is a question of the players coping with the pressure, keeping their shape, and unlike Fulham on Saturday maintaining their discipline. The empty stadium might just reduce the tension, but you can never really tell with Leeds.

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 30, 2020, 12:20:07 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 30, 2020, 10:49:44 AM
Brentford and Fulham are away tonight if that means anything atm. If Leeds win tonight and they both drop points you'll not be caught.

That's difficult to argue with and yet as a Leeds fan the number one rule is to express no signs of hope.

Fulham were unlucky to get chinned late on by Brentford and on another day they would not have lost that game against us. However back-to-back defeats is bound to have rocked their confidence and the three game ban handed to Mitrovic is a body blow to them. He is a goal machine at this level.

Brentford on the other hand have had two brilliant wins against what were two of the top three. I'm working on the assumption they are going to win everything from here on in, but of course the Championship is notorious for not following to script, so hope springs eternal. 

Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2020, 11:06:25 AM
Brentford may be dark horses for automatic promotion.

One interesting thing about Leeds/WBA is that whenever Leeds slip up so do WBA.

Brentford do look strong and have the momentum behind them. I could curse the amount of needless points Leeds have thrown away and which would have had them ten points clear at this stage, but of course that is with my Leeds' hat on - I'd say West Brom supporters would have similar laments.

Leeds look to be in a very strong position - but Leeds, and the Championship are so unpredictable. Nothing can be taken for granted.
Brentford are one up
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Leeds would need to take advantage against bottom club Luton tonight....

0-0 ht
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Jesus Leeds really are an odd team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

At least that LUTV presenter is easy on the eyes.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Main Street on June 30, 2020, 09:51:33 PM
At least that LUTV presenter is easy on the eyes.

That sounds like the delectable Emma. It would take something like her to balance the spectacle of a team that simply repeats the trend of so many matches over the years. Leeds simply are what they were 18 months ago, 15 months ago and 6 months ago - a very fit team with no cutting edge.

Brentford are like a runaway train at the moment and they must be good things for one of the automatic promotion places despite being third. Beaten by Cardiff, somewhat fortunate against Fulham and getting a point at home to the bottom club - I can see this season ending once again in disaster.

Mourne Rover

It was a disappointing result but every point gets us closer to the finishing line so Rufus and all the rest of us need to keep taking deep breaths. While we should clearly have beaten Luton, they are on a decent run and beat Brentford just before the break. We are six clear with six to go, so even an average set of results will do the job. Wasting great opportunities remains the big concern, with the late misses from Bamford and Costa barely believable, and the lack of striking options is quite an indictment. The Dallas injury will not help, and we cannot rely on Bamford, but a goal or two from Harrison or Roberts would change everything. It is probably just as well that the bars are opening again as we are going to need a drink before this is over.

Billys Boots

I can't even watch it at the moment. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

Brentford and Fulham are away tonight if that means anything atm. If Leeds win tonight and they both drop points you'll not be caught.

Apologise for this. Going to stay away.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on July 01, 2020, 09:57:16 AM

Apologise for this. Going to stay away.

;D

Believe me, long standing Leeds' fans who should know better (and I include myself in that), have made the same mistake countless times.

Main Street

If that's the state of affairs at Leeds, it might just be the time for Uri Geller.

Mourne Rover

Yesterday's win at Blackburn was a massive one, but, in typical Leeds fashion, a dominant performance was accompanied by some dodgy moments. If Blackburn had not missed a couple of open goals early on, it would have been a different game. Leeds are on a fine run, with 22 points out of the last 27, but Brentford have managed five wins on the bounce and their remaining five fixtures are favourable. If they win them all, which on their present form is possible, it could be a very tight finish between them, Leeds and West Brom. As ever, it is a question of dealing with the pressure.

seafoid

Hard to see Brentford managing 10  in a row. They went on a run maybe in January and ran out of gas.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

shark

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2020, 02:52:05 PM
Hard to see Brentford managing 10  in a row. They went on a run maybe in January and ran out of gas.

Villa did it last season, having shown no form all season up to that point. And they don't need to win 10 in a row, just 5. The 5 they've already won are already won.

Mourne Rover

Brentford's programme is Charlton H, Derby A, Preston H, Stoke A and Barnsley H. You never know in the Championship but they have a decent chance of maximum points from four of those and even a win at Derby is far from impossible on present form. Leeds fans will expect Brentford to get five out of five, meaning that three wins, a draw and a defeat during the same period would definitely see us home. There is not a huge margin of error there, so a wobble for Brentford would be welcome.