The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2020, 03:16:17 PM
The Covid break meant they weren't as tired.

That was always my hope. In Sky's brilliant documentary,  'Bielsa: El Loco & Leeds', the excellent Tim Vickery remarked on the trait Bielsa's teams have of running out of steam late in the season. Indeed his league titles with Newells Old Boys were achieved over shortened league seasons; I think they possibly have two winners in each year in Argentina.

SLIGONIAN

Well lads, I was close to tears the way we won on Sunday. It was a 5.30 am kick off here so couldn't too crazy at 7.30 am.
I think ye said it all, we are so close. I won't celebrate until its done.

The break suited us and so does no crowd, its taken a lot of that added pressure off. We have a fully fit squad except for forshaw and having Pablo, Alioski and Douglas to come on each game gives us a massive boost after teams are ran into the ground.

I don't think many people realize how much was riding on this year financially. We had to get up and its kind of a miracle too doing without a second striker really.

The turning point for me this season was Brentford away, that draw was huge and we won 5 in a row after. Either way, this week looks to be the week.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

seafoid

This year they have been very consistent. First after 10, 29 and 37 games.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

Phillips, a key figure in the Leeds set up, is out of the Barnsley game and according to Bielsa may not play again this season. We should be able to restructure but it all adds to the tension.

seafoid

West Brom have dropped 4 points in their last 2 matches and will be 1 point ahead of Brentford if the latter win tomorrow.

Rufus T Firefly

Brentford won, albeit not very convincingly but they won't  be worried. The result was everything.

Phillips is a big miss. When he was suspended,  White played in Phillips' role and Berardi joined Cooper in the middle of the defence. I'm never sure just how effective White is in that role but I assume that is the way we will play.

We are currently top and playing the bottom side at home. Form would suggest it should be a win, but you can never make assumptions with Leeds, as the home fixture against Luton showed.

It's hardly crystal ball gazing to know that Leeds will dominate and have the majority of the chances. The key will be taking those chances and killing off the Barnsley challenge early. However, spurrning chances will leave the potential for a nervous afternoon. 

Milltown Row2

Brentford could actually win this league! Wow, some run
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Jees, that was a hard earned win for Leeds. They looked busted at the end.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cunny Funt

Just 1 more point required for Leeds?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on July 16, 2020, 07:00:17 PM

Correcto Shane.

As bad performance as I can recall under Bielsa, but the result was huge. Outplayed by Barnsley - who I felt sorry for - and we were on the ropes for most of the second half but I'll take it.

One more point will do it.

seafoid

Who should play in goal for the last 2 matches?

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/marcelo-bielsa-say-kiko-casilla-18594287

Interesting from January

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/marcelo-bielsa-s-leeds-will-not-risk-promotion-target-at-arsenal-1.4131100?mode=amp

Leeds cannot dare dilute their chase for automatic promotion. In five previous attempts at the play-offs, dating back to losing to Charlton in May 1987, Leeds failed to win promotion each time. Nine-goal thrillers at St Andrew's are unsustainable for a club so prone to late-season heebie jeebies. Not even Bielsa's staunchest admirers have yet explained away his teams' historic problems in lasting a full season of the intensity he prescribes

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 17, 2020, 01:07:34 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 16, 2020, 07:00:17 PM

Correcto Shane.

As bad performance as I can recall under Bielsa, but the result was huge. Outplayed by Barnsley - who I felt sorry for - and we were on the ropes for most of the second half but I'll take it.

One more point will do it.

This is the one I was dreading - local derby against a team with nothing to lose, fighting for their lives (and their careers).  Really missing Phillips, already. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mourne Rover

Going into yesterday's game, Leeds were 1/200 with Paddy Power to get promoted. However, every Leeds fan knew we were still capable of blowing it and our worst fears could easily have been realised. Phillips is a crucial player, protecting the back four, giving the central midfielders space to operate and pushing early ball to the wingers. In his absence, no one that played badly but there was a collective nervousness and lack of certainty across the field. There is no doubt Barnsley should have won, but there were so many games earlier in the season that Leeds dominated but managed to lose in freak circumstances that an element of karma may have been at work. While West Brom and Brentford will probably keep winning, there would be something sweet about clinching the championship at Derby. It's been such a long hard road that some of us will be sweating if we still need a point from the last match.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2020, 05:35:38 PM
Huddersfield one up....

West Brom are the new Leeds.
Did very well until they started a meltdown recently.