Readers Back Donegal's right to choose

Started by samwin08, September 07, 2011, 05:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samwin08

Wednesday September 07 2011 --Irish Independent-- Martin Breheny

IN the 11 years I have been writing this column, I never got as much reaction as to last week's piece defending Donegal against attacks for the style of play they used this year and the assertion that the handpass was destroying Gaelic football.
Most of the comments supported the view that it was unfair to blame Jim McGuinness for adopting a game plan which, while not being easy on the eye, was within the rules and therefore perfectly legitimate. Mind you, one reader made a particularly interesting observation in defence of Donegal and the handpass, noting that if a soccer team completed as many passes it would be regarded as a delightful manifestation of the sport at its best.
He queried why a Gaelic football team were savaged for using a system where retaining possession was the primary aim. It's a fair point.

- Martin Breheny

AZOffaly

Some lads are going to have a canary. The old soccer - GAA comparison chestnut.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Denn Forever

QuoteHe queried why a Gaelic football team were savaged for using a system where retaining possession was the primary aim.

Must have missed that training session.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Jinxy

You were probably up the other end of the field kicking points like an eejit.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ck

Quote from: Jinxy on September 07, 2011, 05:49:20 PM
You were probably up the other end of the field kicking points like an eejit.

He was in the field behind the goals kicking out the balls to the subs, who in turn kicked them out to the boys who made the team!  :P

Martin Breheny just doesnt get it. Comparing soccer "foot" passing to gaelic "hand" passing is ridicuous. Imagine a rugby team that just threw the ball to each other side to side without attacking? You wouldnt compare that to retaining soccer possesion. Brehenys argument is clueless.

ONeill

Mind you, one reader made a particularly interesting observation in defence of Donegal and the handpass, noting that if a soccer team completed as many passes it would be regarded as a delightful manifestation of the sport at its best.

Oh fer feck sake.

Mind you, one reader made a particularly interesting observation in defence of Sheridan's goal in the Leinster Final, noting that if a water polo team completed the same move it would be regarded as a delightful manifestation of the sport at its best.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mylestheslasher

You'd be hard pressed to put a more ridiculous combinations of words together if you tried..

ONeill

Mind you, one reader made a particularly interesting observation in defence of Marty Boyle's dive, noting that if Greg Louganis completed the same move it would be regarded as a delightful manifestation of the sport at its best.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross matt

Quote from: ONeill on September 08, 2011, 12:49:08 AM
Mind you, one reader made a particularly interesting observation in defence of Marty Boyle's dive, noting that if Greg Louganis completed the same move it would be regarded as a delightful manifestation of the sport at its best.

:D :D :D

sheamy

I don't know what's worse - a paper paying Breheny to write such nonsensical drivel or people paying money to read it.

fearglasmor

Quote from: sheamy on September 08, 2011, 08:09:40 AM
I don't know what's worse - a paper paying Breheny to write such nonsensical drivel or people paying money to read it.

Or people taking a bait and propogating it.

Doh.......  I just did it too.   ahhhh

mylestheslasher

Mind you, one reader made a particularly interesting observation that if you play the tape of the incident backwards you will see Connolly help Doyle of the ground, break up a scuffle and jog off in on his merry way. This shows all that is good about the game.

muppet

MWWSI 2017