9. Sean Cavanagh
10. Brian Dooher
11. Ciaran McDonald
12. Oisin McConville
13. Stevie McDonnell
14. Peter Canavan
15. Paddy Bradley

tippabu

Bit of northern bias there I reckon. No place for the likes of Gooch or brogan?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tippabu on August 07, 2015, 06:24:00 PM

I think Gooch is ridiculously overrated, a great man to steamroll teams that allow him play and when the opposition collapses but his record against Ulster teams is very poor. He's a great player but you'd have to question him doing it when the chips are down and games are in the melting pot.

I wouldn't say it's a Northern bias either, you look back at the last 15 years and Ulster has had 3 different teams share 5 titles, Down reached a final in 2010, Fermanagh and Derry also reached semi finals and Monaghan and Cavan have made quarter finals. Ulster teams have been competing at the very highest level since the turn of the millennium so it's hardly surprising they should have a big proportion of teams there.

tippabu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2015, 07:17:44 PM

I think Gooch is ridiculously overrated, a great man to steamroll teams that allow him play and when the opposition collapses but his record against Ulster teams is very poor. He's a great player but you'd have to question him doing it when the chips are down and games are in the melting pot.

I wouldn't say it's a Northern bias either, you look back at the last 15 years and Ulster has had 3 different teams share 5 titles, Down reached a final in 2010, Fermanagh and Derry also reached semi finals and Monaghan and Cavan have made quarter finals. Ulster teams have been competing at the very highest level since the turn of the millennium so it's hardly surprising they should have a big proportion of teams there.

And with all the players from the north no place for mcgeeney and Michael Murphy.

anyway my team, with a touch of bias for my own county but one that a strong argument can be made for is...

1. Stephen cluxton

2. Mark o se
3. Seamus moynihan
4. Karl lacey

5. Tomas o se
6. Kieran mcgeeney
7. Philip Jordan

8. Darragh o se
9. Sean cavanagh

10. Ciaran macdonald
11. Michael Murphy
12. Declan browne

13. Peter canavan
14. Bernard brogan
15. Colm Cooper

Mayo4Sam14

Well, for a player who has 4-33 in all Ireland finals alone- but they're only all ireland finals it's only the matches against Ulster teams that really matter.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

1 Stephen Cluxton

2 Marc O'Se
3 Neil McGee
4 Keith Higgins

5 Seamus Moynihan
6 Karl Lacey
7 Kieran McGeeney

8 Darragh O'Se
9 Sean Cavanagh

10 Declan O'Sullivan
11 Michael Murphy
12 Ciaran McDonald

13 The Mort
14 Padraig Joyce
15 The Gooch
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 07, 2015, 07:39:20 PM

Well, for a player who has 4-33 in all Ireland finals alone- but they're only all ireland finals it's only the matches against Ulster teams that really matter.

Yeah, but would he get a game before Paddy Bradley?

Oh, wait. Yeah, yeah he would.

rrhf

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 07, 2015, 08:18:23 PM
1 Stephen Cluxton

2 Marc O'Se
3 Neil McGee
4 Keith Higgins

5 Seamus Moynihan
6 Karl Lacey
7 Kieran McGeeney

8 Darragh O'Se
9 Sean Cavanagh

10 Declan O'Sullivan
11 Michael Murphy
12 Ciaran McDonald

13 The Mort
14 Padraig Joyce
15 The Gooch

Eejit

INDIANA

You're absolutely spot on. It isn't a Northern bias. Just pure unadulterated bullshit

our_fella

Martin Clarke & Owen Mulligan???  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tippabu

Highlander3

I think Gooch is over rated as well, would probably put him on my top 15 put think he is no were near the player Canavan was, in my opinion he is not good enough at winning his own ball, and is helped by the talent that has surrounded him

rrhf

Mine:

1. Stephen Cluxton
2. Ryan mc menamen
3. Seamus moynihan
4. Karl Lacey
5. Tomas O'Se
6. Conor Gormley
7. Philip jordan
8. Darragh O'Se
9. Sean Cavanagh
10. Brian Dooher
11. Brian mc guigan
12. Colm cooper
13. Michael murphy
14. Peter Canavan
15. Stephen o neill
now that's a quare team..

JoG2

Quote from: rrhf on August 07, 2015, 09:57:41 PM

Mine:

1. Stephen Cluxton
2. Ryan mc menamen
3. Seamus moynihan
4. Karl Lacey
5. Tomas O'Se
6. Conor Gormley
7. Philip jordan
8. Darragh O'Se
9. Sean Cavanagh
10. Brian Dooher
11. Brian mc guigan
12. Colm cooper
13. Michael murphy
14. Peter Canavan
15. Stephen o neill
now that's a quare team..

Colm maybe for Darragh? 

Syferus

Quote from: Highlander3 on August 07, 2015, 09:44:08 PM
I think Gooch is over rated as well, would probably put him on my top 15 put think he is no were near the player Canavan was, in my opinion he is not good enough at winning his own ball, and is helped by the talent that has surrounded him

Gooch is hands down the best forward I've seen play the game. From a skills standpoint there are shots and passes he's made that I've seen no one else make. A lot of these Ulster focused teams seem to be picking players for their ruggedness or physicality. Gooch offers something very unique to a team.