RTE on Freeview

Started by Lazer, December 13, 2010, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Get a Freeview HD set and you'll be fine.
Freeview HD uses Mpeg 4.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

WaterBoy

Quote from: armaghniac on July 23, 2012, 09:16:56 PM
Freeview HD uses Mpeg 4.

Cheers, I was just reading http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ and it said freeview HD would be needed alright.  If you get standard Freeview TV that supported MPEG4 would that work also? I have saw a few online at decent prices
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

ziggysego

Quote from: WaterBoy on July 23, 2012, 09:52:31 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 23, 2012, 09:16:56 PM
Freeview HD uses Mpeg 4.

Cheers, I was just reading http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ and it said freeview HD would be needed alright.  If you get standard Freeview TV that supported MPEG4 would that work also? I have saw a few online at decent prices

A standard TV, that supports MPEG4, is Freeview HD.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

QuoteIf you get standard Freeview TV that supported MPEG4 would that work also? I have saw a few online at decent prices

RTÉ from NI transmitters is broadcast as Freeview HD. A Freeview set with MPEG4 might pick up Saorview from a 26 county transmitter, I would be careful about picking such a set though.

Regular Freeview will be dead in a decade, HD is the way to go.
A standard TV, that supports MPEG4, is Freeview HD.

Not necessarily true. Freeview HD has a different transmission as well as using MPEG 4. Saorview sets have MPEG 4, but not necessarily DVB-T2. Some sets also support MPEG-4 for playback from computers and the like, but not broadcast TV.

laoislad

Quote from: armaghniac on July 23, 2012, 10:01:12 PM
QuoteIf you get standard Freeview TV that supported MPEG4 would that work also? I have saw a few online at decent prices

RTÉ from NI transmitters is broadcast as Freeview HD. A Freeview set with MPEG4 might pick up Saorview from a 26 county transmitter, I would be careful about picking such a set though.

Regular Freeview will be dead in a decade, HD is the way to go.

I'd imagine HD will be dead in a decade.
There are already Ultra High Definition Tv sets being built which will have a resolution of  4320p which they say will be 16 times the number of pixels of 1080p
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

take_yer_points

Are you sure that any Freeview HD television can currently pick up RTE? I have this TV:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-40EX403/specifications

This is a Freeview HD TV and in the tuner section you will see the following - "Digital Terrestrial Tuner (MPEG-2):   YES (DVB-T2/T)"

I can currently see RTE One on channel 800 when I look at the digital channels but there is no picture - just a blank screen. As I understand it I will be able to pick up RTE channels from October onwards on this Freeview HD TV but I can't yet because it is not MPEG4.

Am I wrong here?

armaghniac

It says here that the Sony kdl 40ex403 has MPEG 4. It has to, to be Freeview HD.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/television/sony-kdl-40ex403/details/

Are you expecting to pick up RTÉ from NI or ROI?

take_yer_points

Quote from: armaghniac on July 23, 2012, 10:51:04 PM
It says here that the Sony kdl 40ex403 has MPEG 4. It has to, to be Freeview HD.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/television/sony-kdl-40ex403/details/

Are you expecting to pick up RTÉ from NI or ROI?

The link I put up mentioned that it has MPEG4 as well but for USB playback.

I'm in NI and pick up RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 on analogue

armaghniac

QuoteI'm in NI and pick up RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 on analogue

Download the latest software update.
Try changing country to Ireland and see what happens.
Ask Fionntamhnach!

Applesisapples

I got a Panasonic 42 in Freeview HD TV in Curries. Picks up Saorview, freeview and with a dongle (£32) you can play Youtube and BBC Iplayer through it as well. Only £600. Great picture free 3D glasses. Although I wouldn't be fussed on the 3D. By the way Halographic TV is the future.

AQMP

On a related but slightly different subject, bough a Sony Bravia recently, cracking TV (for my needs) all southern stations RTE2 HD etc (great for the hurling) but the picture keeps freezing/pixellating and when recorded programmes are played back they "jump".  I've heard various explanations for this e.g. it's work on the transmitters taking place, to it's the heavy rain.  Any ideas/solutions.  I'm working off a rooftop aeriel.

armaghniac

It depends on where you are. The NI transmitters are not at full power until October and Clermont Cairn is restricted in its broadcasts in a northerly direction. Perhaps picture stability will improve in October when transmission power is ramped up.

stpatsgael

Does anyone know if it's possible to receive these channels in England? (Liverpool to be precise). Been living over here for a few years now and have been looking into getting the Irish channels for a while but it seems quite difficult. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Applesisapples

Quote from: stpatsgael on July 25, 2012, 02:31:17 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to receive these channels in England? (Liverpool to be precise). Been living over here for a few years now and have been looking into getting the Irish channels for a while but it seems quite difficult. Any ideas would be appreciated.
You could try an mpeg4 tv and an RTE aerial pointed at your nearest transmitter.

stpatsgael

Are the irish sky cards still available, and if so how do you go about this?