Hurling sticks

Started by youngfella, November 10, 2008, 06:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

Recently i have started using Tom Murphy sticks, they are without doubt some of the best sticks i have ever used. They have such a lovely feel and stick about them, and they have a great big toe.
Before that i used scullion hurls, i find these hurls are totally hit or miss, you can get a amazing one or a dog, more often than not a dog. However the fact that he has setup up a website to sell is a great and i hope more stick makers follow suit.

feel free to add more
Pull hard and early

theskull1

Where are they from Youngfella?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

youngfella

my good mate from wexford gets them for me, there lovely lovely sticks. I'll find out exactly where abouts there from for you. He really puts a bit of pride into them, which is rare, eg, the tin is put in such a way that the nails dont cause the stick to break. Unlike the scullions.
Pull hard and early

Two Hands FFS

I have used Frank Murphy sticks before..he is from Waterford....very good sticks that normally wont break after 1 match

Dont like Scullion sticks at all

Bacon

How long would a good strick last yous nowadays? I mind years ago steepin them in lindseen oil and they lasted 4-5 games.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

theskull1

Depends on the hurler Bacon. Some boys have got a season out of a hurl where others will average 1 a game. Sticks today are very dry and have been for a fair few years. The hurler makers doesn't really mind I'm sure  :)

milltown row

correct Skull, depends on the hurler. you need to find a stick with the right balance, the dry sticks have been about for a while because of the demand for sticks, which is great, shows interest for hurling has grown. years ago clubs would have had sticks for years stashed away for the following season. by then the sticks were matured.

i always took the sticks off the county hurlers. they had a good choice of sticks. being a manager i get the sticks at the start of the year and pick the best ones for me ;)

youngfella

what do you use yourself skull?

About breaking the sticks, I'm go throught phases of breaking a couple of sticks in a game to not breaking any for a few months, swings and roundabouts.

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on November 10, 2008, 09:16:12 PM
I have used Frank Murphy sticks before..he is from Waterford....very good sticks that normally wont break after 1 match

I wonder if Tom Murphy a related to him?
Pull hard and early

bredaghexile

i have never had any problems with scullion hurls and rate them very highly
a got hurl i had this season was a hurl from tipp o'brian i think it was

bredaghgael86

O'Connors are probably the best stick ive played with

Teachtaire

what are teddy macs like?

theskull1

Quote from: Teachtaire on November 17, 2008, 05:19:54 PM
what are teddy macs like?

Seen just one batch of them and was truely shocked at just how bad they were

youngfella

where are teddy mac's from?

Agree o'brain hurls from tipp are lovely.
Pull hard and early

Last Man

Quote from: youngfella on November 10, 2008, 06:45:55 PM
Recently i have started using Tom Murphy sticks, they are without doubt some of the best sticks i have ever used. They have such a lovely feel and stick about them, and they have a great big toe.
Before that i used scullion hurls, i find these hurls are totally hit or miss, you can get a amazing one or a dog, more often than not a dog. However the fact that he has setup up a website to sell is a great and i hope more stick makers follow suit.

feel free to add more
Don't think I have ever used a stick that I haven't given a touch of the rasp or sander so I never buy a new stick with a band already on it. I always have a few sitting in the garage for at least a year which I think helps also. Another thing is an ould Cut n' Shut hurl is hard to beat and I can be often found bin hoking behind the dugouts for decent stick salvage.

orangeman

O'Connors' hurls are very nice -

What about the Polish ones ? Has anybody tried them out ?