We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 01:19:18 PM
Since when did Dublin people get so sensitive? I remember when ye were able to take it as well as give it!

I think the story is newsworthy as it brings into question how sorry he really was. I know he's probably following the advice of his legal team but it come across badly.

I think Connolly is one of the best players I've ever seen and tremendously enjoy watching him play. I've no axe to grind with him and unlike many non-Dubs have no problem with them winning the AI. This isn't a case of anti-Dub bias or me having a go for the laugh.

All that said - perhaps with an ongoing legal case we should limit what is said here. Might be an idea to lock this thread.

He does come across as bad and I know your post is not anti dub. I just don't think any GAA players should be discussed if there involved in a legal case

Syferus

Quote from: Gael85 on November 06, 2017, 02:50:19 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 01:19:18 PM
Since when did Dublin people get so sensitive? I remember when ye were able to take it as well as give it!

I think the story is newsworthy as it brings into question how sorry he really was. I know he's probably following the advice of his legal team but it come across badly.

I think Connolly is one of the best players I've ever seen and tremendously enjoy watching him play. I've no axe to grind with him and unlike many non-Dubs have no problem with them winning the AI. This isn't a case of anti-Dub bias or me having a go for the laugh.

All that said - perhaps with an ongoing legal case we should limit what is said here. Might be an idea to lock this thread.

He does come across as bad and I know your post is not anti dub. I just don't think any GAA players should be discussed if there involved in a legal case

If it's already in newspapers and on news sites it's more than fair game.

Therealdonald

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 06, 2017, 08:53:13 AM
The fascination continues. People care more about him than their own county players or club, sad really.

Bottom line, he did wrong 6 years ago, got away it with easily but that's the way the world works now.

I would also look at some the history of violence is some of your own counties GAA pitches were cowards keep their mouths shut, for example, Tyrone GAA was is and was built on violence and thuggery. Just ask the county chairman who was knocked out at a ladies county final.

The greatest I would suggest you do your reading about what Tyrone GAA is built on. Thuggery and violence play no part whatsoever in it. I would also suggest that if you carried out a randomn check of every GAA club in Tyrone and referenced how many of them have criminal records vs doing the same in Dublin, you would find a ten-fold increase in criminal records for the Jackeens....so wind your neck in.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 06, 2017, 04:18:10 PM
The fascination continues. People care more about him than their own county players or club, sad really.

Bottom line, he did wrong 6 years ago, got away it with easily but that's the way the world works now.

I would also look at some the history of violence is some of your own counties GAA pitches were cowards keep their mouths shut, for example, Tyrone GAA was is and was built on violence and thuggery. Just ask the county chairman who was knocked out at a ladies county final.

The greatest I would suggest you do your reading about what Tyrone GAA is built on. Thuggery and violence play no part whatsoever in it. I would also suggest that if you carried out a randomn check of every GAA club in Tyrone and referenced how many of them have criminal records vs doing the same in Dublin, you would find a ten-fold increase in criminal records for the Jackeens....so wind your neck in.

There is a difference in being caught and not caught. More players in Dublin. Tyrone, a history of violence and Thuggery. Some of the worst incidents in recent years happened up there.

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 06, 2017, 04:27:44 PM

There is a difference in being caught and not caught. More players in Dublin. Tyrone, a history of violence and Thuggery. Some of the worst incidents in recent years happened up there.

Whataboutery at it's finest.

inthrough

Quote from: Gael85 on November 06, 2017, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 06, 2017, 01:06:59 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on November 06, 2017, 11:16:46 AM
Connolly done wrong and very lucky to get away with this. But why is the civil case been discussed on GAA forum??. Connolly scored 1-1 in a county final and no mention of that.

You serious?

i am serious. The thread has gone completely off topic and some of the stuff has nothing to do with GAA. Is there any moderators on this forum as thread should be closed??
There is no court case, that is over & done with with Connolly found guilty & sentenced.
This is about his apparent unwillingness to abide by the terms of his sentence & is not sub justice in any way.
He's fair game as I see it.

Hound

Quote from: inthrough on November 07, 2017, 02:03:33 PM
Connolly done wrong and very lucky to get away with this. But why is the civil case been discussed on GAA forum??. Connolly scored 1-1 in a county final and no mention of that.

You serious?

i am serious. The thread has gone completely off topic and some of the stuff has nothing to do with GAA. Is there any moderators on this forum as thread should be closed??
There is no court case, that is over & done with with Connolly found guilty & sentenced.
This is about his apparent unwillingness to abide by the terms of his sentence & is not sub justice in any way.
You've completely mis-read the article, as many others have.

There has been absolutely no unwillingness on Connolly's part "to abide by the terms of his sentence".

The victim was awarded just under €47k damages by the Personal Injuries Board. He has decided that is not good enough and is taking Connolly to court to try and get €60k (max award). He has every right to do this, but the courts apparently use the very same metrics etc to come up with a figure, and there is no guarantee he will get a penny more (not sure if it's possible to get less, and whether the victim is thus taking on some risk?). What is guaranteed is that his solicitor will get bags of publicity in this court case. Whether that is a reason that he advised his client not to accept €47k is anybody's guess.

What the new sensational article about is quite simply that the solicitor has been unable to figure out where Connolly lives! He needs to serve him with notice that the victim is not accepting the PIAB award and is going to court. Hanahoe has probably played silly buggers a bit by saying his engagement with Connolly ended at the end of the PIAB hearing and he seemingly gave the solicitor an address he had on file (the previous address of Connolly).

But this court ruling to extend the time allowed for them to serve the notice is routine where the other party has moved address in the recent past. It does prove that a high profile case will get bags of publicity for the most routine of motions. 

inthrough

Quote from: Hound on November 07, 2017, 03:06:17 PM
Quote from: inthrough on November 07, 2017, 02:03:33 PM

You serious?

You've completely mis-read the article, as many others have.

There has been absolutely no unwillingness on Connolly's part "to abide by the terms of his sentence".

The victim was awarded just under €47k damages by the Personal Injuries Board. He has decided that is not good enough and is taking Connolly to court to try and get €60k (max award). He has every right to do this, but the courts apparently use the very same metrics etc to come up with a figure, and there is no guarantee he will get a penny more (not sure if it's possible to get less, and whether the victim is thus taking on some risk?). What is guaranteed is that his solicitor will get bags of publicity in this court case. Whether that is a reason that he advised his client not to accept €47k is anybody's guess.

What the new sensational article about is quite simply that the solicitor has been unable to figure out where Connolly lives! He needs to serve him with notice that the victim is not accepting the PIAB award and is going to court. Hanahoe has probably played silly buggers a bit by saying his engagement with Connolly ended at the end of the PIAB hearing and he seemingly gave the solicitor an address he had on file (the previous address of Connolly).

But this court ruling to extend the time allowed for them to serve the notice is routine where the other party has moved address in the recent past. It does prove that a high profile case will get bags of publicity for the most routine of motions.

A good explanation & I stand corrected. When I think about it the notion of Connolly being able to hide in Dublin is a touch ridiculous.

Let's see how thigs pan out

Therealdonald

Quote from: TheGreatest on November 06, 2017, 04:27:44 PM

I'm not getting drawn into this, but you're actually talking about thuggery when the whole thread is to do with an ACTUAL act of thuggery that was ACCEPTED by the courts. Not hearsay, not a rumour but actual facts. Dermo = great player, maybe most skilful of all time but he also leaves himself open to criticism consistently by his behaviour.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I will ask him, and I doubt very much, nay I know for a fact, that he'd laugh at your allegations. Incidentally, his assailant was not from Tyrone, rather from a rather successful county in the south-west of the country.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 07, 2017, 09:25:11 PM

I will ask him, and I doubt very much, nay I know for a fact, that he'd laugh at your allegations. Incidentally, his assailant was not from Tyrone, rather from a rather successful county in the south-west of the country.

So you're saying your chairman was knocked out at a match. Right.

Captain Obvious

Story of the day was this Leinster championship result. Rathnew (Wicklow) 1-13
St Vincent's (Dublin) 1-9.  Diarmuid Connolly with just 0-1 a free..

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 12, 2017, 05:16:03 PM

Best player in the country.

Apparently.

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2017, 05:26:37 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 12, 2017, 05:16:03 PM

Best player in the country.

Apparently.
All time great. 

Apparently.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'