107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

stibhan

Quote from: deiseach on May 26, 2015, 11:12:34 AM

Good post. I leave it to others to decide whether I am a homophobe but I know people who voted No and no amount of sly insinuations on the part of others about the need to conform will convince me those people have ever treated homosexuals any way other than the way they would expect to be treated themselves.

Treated the way they would expect to the treated themselves, equal marriage notwithstanding?

J70

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 26, 2015, 10:38:19 AM

Homophobia is not an irrational condition given the nature of this country's history and the culture that prevails. It is not illegal to feel uncomfortable around or outright not want to be around gay or lesbian people either. The moral argument is another question entirely but people are entitled to their beliefs and feelings so long as they don't act on them to interfere with the rights of others.

Yes, feelings are not illegal.

However, they are not owed respect, especially when they are used to justify actions and votes.

DuffleKing

People have to justify their vote?

Did you have to submit the reasoning in a paragraph at the bottom that was considered by the electoral officer before approving or otherwise each vote? That's harsh

J70

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 26, 2015, 03:09:13 PM

Did you have to submit the reasoning in a paragraph at the bottom that was considered by the electoral officer before approving or otherwise each vote? That's harsh

Is this a serious question? 

armaghniac

Why are you voting for a unionist party?

1. seeking to complete the Ulster plantation and bring Ulster under God's righteous rule
2. making loads of money from the community schemes
3. do not want to be associated with homosexuals in the Freestate
4. Gerry Adams is a bollix.
5. they have to pay for doctors in the South
6. haven't a clue
7. all of the above 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DuffleKing

Quote from: J70 on May 26, 2015, 03:35:53 PM

Is this a serious question?

This question put the whole board down last evening...

Declan

Two classics I heard recently

Overheard in Dublin @OverheardDublin 
  ·   May 23   
Elderly lady in Cabra yesterday looking for the Polling Station stops a Guard  - "Excuse me  love, where do I vote for the gays?" #MarRef

Ad the new gay anthem  - Come back, Paddy Reilly, to marry James Duff -

LCohen

Homophobia is not an irrational condition given the nature of this country's history and the culture that prevails.

On that basis you could pick any number of examples from across the globe and history where racism, sectarism or sexism would not be an irrational condition goven what had went before. They are not however models for how to move things forward. 
It is not illegal to feel uncomfortable around or outright not want to be around gay or lesbian people either. The moral argument is another question entirely but people are entitled to their beliefs and feelings so long as they don't act on them to interfere with the rights of others.
Thats the point. Being homophobic is not illegal but basing a law, a constitution or a vote in a constitutional referendum on homophobic arguments would be immoral and interfere in the rights of others

LCohen

Quote from: deiseach on May 26, 2015, 11:12:34 AM

Homophobia is not an irrational condition given the nature of this country's history and the culture that prevails. It is not illegal to feel uncomfortable around or outright not want to be around gay or lesbian people either. The moral argument is another question entirely but people are entitled to their beliefs and feelings so long as they don't act on them to interfere with the rights of others.

Good post. I leave it to others to decide whether I am a homophobe but I know people who voted No and no amount of sly insinuations on the part of others about the need to conform will convince me those people have ever treated homosexuals any way other than the way they would expect to be treated themselves.
So those people would expect the constitution of the land to prevent them getting married to the person they loved and wanted to marry?

LCohen

Quote from: topcuppla on May 26, 2015, 11:25:23 AM
The gay rights activists on here deiseach won't be happy, if you vote no you need to submit a thesis to LCohen as to why you voted no, let him dissect it and then conclude you are homophobic.

If you feel that was a post worth making and leave you to the logic of that conclusion,

Being active on the rights of others is something to be proud of. I will take the phrase "gay rights activist" as a commendation. It certainly shows a lot more respect hor humanity that your contributions to the Peter Robinson thread.

The point that No voters need to submit a thesis is childish and embarrassing. I'm sorry that your increasingly strange defense of your position has got this far.

But I will leave you with a challenge. Simply post on this thread your non-homophobic argument for voting No in the recent referendum on marriage equality.

LCohen

In a referendum - No.
On a discussion forum - Yes

deiseach

Quote from: LCohen on May 27, 2015, 03:53:44 PM
So those people would expect the constitution of the land to prevent them getting married to the person they loved and wanted to marry?

'Those people' believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. If that makes them homophobes then people who voted No in the Presidential age referendum are, uh, youthophobes because they don't believe in equal rights for those under the age of 35.

The thing is, if you really think that anyone who voted No is a homophobe, have the courage of your convictions to say as much rather than dancing around it.

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on May 27, 2015, 04:12:28 PM

'Those people' believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. If that makes them homophobes then people who voted No in the Presidential age referendum are, uh, youthophobes because they don't believe in equal rights for those under the age of 35.

The thing is, if you really think that anyone who voted No is a homophobe, have the courage of your convictions to say as much rather than dancing around it.

Why do they believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman?

"Oh because that's the only thing that's natural. The gays are not natural therefore they should not be allowed to marry people of the same sex"

Hmmmm that's quite homophobic.

"How dare you I'm just religious so therefore cannot be homophobic."

That's not even getting into the other nonsense spouted on here about abuse of Children with same sex parents... children will grow up to be gay if they have same sex parents which is all homophobic.

LCohen

Quote from: deiseach on May 27, 2015, 04:12:28 PM

I'm not dancing around anything. Tell me the motivation that someone had for voting No and I will tell you if I think it was homophobic

deiseach

Quote from: screenexile on May 27, 2015, 04:16:27 PM
Why do they believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman?

"Oh because that's the only thing that's natural. The gays are not natural therefore they should not be allowed to marry people of the same sex"

Hmmmm that's quite homophobic.

"How dare you I'm just religious so therefore cannot be homophobic."

That's not even getting into the other nonsense spouted on here about abuse of Children with same sex parents... children will grow up to be gay if they have same sex parents which is all homophobic.

I admire your candour. Are you so blunt with people out in the real world?