107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on March 17, 2015, 10:32:04 AM
Of course my occupancy of a room in a hotel is potentially preventing the same room being used by a gay couple.There you go,conscience clear!

do you procreate when in the hotel Tony, or is she on the pill?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 06:31:27 PM
Jesus hung out with sinners in a mission to convert them not to facilitate sin.It is not in any way Christian to offer unconditional love.I cannot fathom an intellect that considers an endorsement of sin as an act that has anything to do with being Christian.

"Not in any way Christian to offer unconditional love"...seriously?

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 17, 2015, 10:54:38 AM
Jesus hung out with sinners in a mission to convert them not to facilitate sin.It is not in any way Christian to offer unconditional love.I cannot fathom an intellect that considers an endorsement of sin as an act that has anything to do with being Christian.

That means the vast majority of parents can't be Christians.
MWWSI 2017

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: muppet on March 17, 2015, 12:48:35 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 17, 2015, 10:54:38 AM

That means the vast majority of parents can't be Christians.

That's probably OK by Jesus, though.  He did say you have to hate your parents to follow him

Oraisteach

Interestingly, the largest Presbyterian denomination here in the US has amended its definition of marriage from involving a man and a woman to the bolder 'two people, traditionally a man and a woman'

muppet

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/same-sex-marriage-referendum-campaigns-ready-for-the-off-1.2171726

"What is happening so far, to my mind, is one-sided propaganda," says the newspaper columnist David Quinn, who is a member of the group and head of the Iona Institute, which campaigns to promote marriage and religion.

...as against the one-sided propaganda that has been thumped from pulpits for over 2000 years?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2015, 05:36:43 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/same-sex-marriage-referendum-campaigns-ready-for-the-off-1.2171726

"What is happening so far, to my mind, is one-sided propaganda," says the newspaper columnist David Quinn, who is a member of the group and head of the Iona Institute, which campaigns to promote marriage and religion.

...as against the one-sided propaganda that has been thumped from pulpits for over 2000 years?

Do you think, in general, that bias in the past entitles the opposite bias in the present? If Protestants denied Catholics rights in the past, should Catholics now deny Protestants rights for 800 years to balance things up?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2015, 05:46:46 PM

Do you think, in general, that bias in the past entitles the opposite bias in the present? If Protestants denied Catholics rights in the past, should Catholics now deny Protestants rights for 800 years to balance things up?

Where did I suggest anything like that?

Is there a referendum to deny Protestants for 800 years somewhere that I missed?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2015, 06:09:10 PM

Is there a referendum to deny Protestants for 800 years somewhere that I missed?

What you said was the David Quinn should not object to bias today because you think there was bias in the past. Whatever analogy you choose, do you think, in general, that bias in the past entitles the opposite bias in the present?

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2015, 06:28:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2015, 06:09:10 PM

What you said was the David Quinn should not object to bias today because you think there was bias in the past. Whatever analogy you choose, do you think, in general, that bias in the past entitles the opposite bias in the present?

Wrong again, I pointed out the hypocrisy of David Quinn's claim that there is what he perceives as 'one-sided propaganda', while turning a blind eye to 2000 years of one very real one-sided propaganda. Nowhere did I claim that past bias entitles present bias. That was your straw man, not mine.

A referendum by definition is democratic and is the very opposite to 'one-sided'. That I what I believe he is really objecting to.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Muppet, have you stopped beating your wife?

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2015, 06:35:53 PM
Wrong again, I pointed out the hypocrisy of David Quinn's claim that there is what he perceives as 'one-sided propaganda', while turning a blind eye to 2000 years of one very real one-sided propaganda. Nowhere did I claim that past bias entitles present bias. That was your straw man, not mine.

Simply whataboutery. If Gerry Adams makes an observation about the referendum somebody could likewise point out some married person blown up on Enniskillen and deny him the right to comment.

A referendum by definition is democratic and is the very opposite to 'one-sided'. That I what I believe he is really objecting to.

Did he say that he objected to a referendum?
There is a lot of this, you "believe" what he really means is "he/she is a homophobe", "he/she objects to democracy" directed at anyone who wants a no vote. Ad hominem attacks which deny the validity of the point of view. If he said that there shouldn't be a referendum then point out where he said that, please. No doubt he didn't say it, and was only objecting to the one sided coverage by much of the media and campaigns on social media like here to object to Quinn even speaking.

Quote from: HardyMuppet, have you stopped beating your wife?

He's attending classes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQdiJoGoTxU

muppet

You compared this:

QuoteIf Protestants denied Catholics rights in the past, should Catholics now deny Protestants rights for 800 years to balance things up?

With this:

Quote"What is happening so far, to my mind, is one-sided propaganda," says the newspaper columnist David Quinn, who is a member of the group and head of the Iona Institute, which campaigns to promote marriage and religion.

As if somehow the latter was about Gay & Lesbians possibly reversing their historical treatment and denying the pulpit thumping ideologues their rights for the next 2,000 years.

Sophistry.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

QuoteSimply whataboutery. If Gerry Adams makes an observation about the referendum somebody could likewise point out some married person blown up on Enniskillen and deny him the right to comment.

If the referendum was about rights specifically denied by Adams then yes they could. But as it isn't, then you are engaging in nothing but your usual sophistry.

And calling it whataboutery!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

My point is that Quinn stated that there was one sided propaganda, and you contended that there was one sided propaganda a thousand years ago, which is neither here nor there and not a useful contribution to the debate.  There is also the suggestion that this has something to do with Catholicism , which it doesn't,. All this talk of pulpits and the like is a complete distraction, and a number of contributors to this debate seem to have got a belt of a strap from a Christian Brother and regard every topic in the context of revenge.