I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

T Fearon

It is nothing to do with me what goes on under anyone else's roof,I'm not sanctioning it nor profiting from it

Oraisteach

Intriguing question, Muppet, one that Tony will wriggle to eel out of.  So, if Tony refuses to accommodate gays under his roof, what happens when he books a room at the CityWest, which presumably does not have so stringent a policy.  By paying for a room there, isn't he, in effect, underwriting a business that promotes a lifestyle contrary to his belief system.  To be true to himself, he should vet every inn in the country to determine its policy re: same sex couples to be dead certain he is not party to sin.  'Unknowingly' does not provide adequate coverage.  Due diligence would require that Tony seize the bulls&$t by the horns and discover each B&B's policy.

On the other hand, though, even the Vatican bank is known to have laundered mobsters' money and invested in pharmaceutical companies that produced contraceptives.  Perhaps they didn't know, but maybe, like Tony, they had a moral obligation to find out.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 09:26:55 PM
It is nothing to do with me what goes on under anyone else's roof,I'm not sanctioning it nor profiting from it

But you are the one who pontificated: "it's quite simply the fact that Christians cannot condone,endorse,or profit from the sins of others."

You won't allow it under your roof, but you are happy to sleep under someone else's roof while it is going on. Presumably everything is ok if it is someone else going to hell Tony. God would be so impressed.

Edit: Just saw Oraisteach's post. He put it better than me.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I cannot control what happens under someone else's roof so conscience entirely clear

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 09:54:02 PM
I cannot control what happens under someone else's roof so conscience entirely clear

But you choose to be under that sinful roof.

Endorse and condone, that is what you said.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

The point is I'm not directly facilitating sinful activity under my roof

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 10:01:44 PM
The point is I'm not directly facilitating sinful activity under my roof

I wonder does Saint Peter accept plausible deniability as ground for outrageous hypocrisy, discrimination and ignorance? Best of luck with it.
MWWSI 2017

Oraisteach

Well, in a way, you are.  By paying a business that does allow sinfulness to occur, you are permitting that enterprise to thrive, and are thereby funding acts of sinfulness.  In reality, you should be boycotting any business that promotes a lifestyle contrary to your beliefs.

Would you, for example, buy your authentic Jimmy Greaves autographed jersey from a vendor in whose store window were the words: "We Do Not Serve Catholics, those godless antichrists!'

Or, would you wash your hands of the dilemma and just buy the shirt and thus fund sectarianism?

I'd like to think you'd refuse to patronize the establishment, but in the hierarchy of the saintly, I fear that St. James of Greaves ranks more highly than the ethics of St. Anthony of Poyntzpass.

T Fearon

Your personal responsibility ends at the point where you do not exercise control.

Oraisteach

But you do have control over whether or not to boycott.

Hardy

Since you do have control over whether you will stay in any particular hotel, why are you not exercising this control to ensure that you're not endorsing heinous homosexual hanky-panky?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 16, 2015, 10:52:01 PM
Your personal responsibility ends at the point where you do not exercise control.

...of your own mind?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I am not endorsing anything only my right to have accommodation and food in return for the going rate.That pure and simply is the extent of my interaction with this hotel.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 17, 2015, 06:13:40 AM
I am not endorsing anything only my right to have accommodation and food in return for the going rate.That pure and simply is the extent of my interaction with this hotel.

Yes, along with the gay couples and the unmarried ones rights to have the same thing as you. We are all agreed then. Hallelujah!
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Of course my occupancy of a room in a hotel is potentially preventing the same room being used by a gay couple.There you go,conscience clear!