26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

thebigfella

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2015, 10:28:21 AM
Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2015, 01:26:02 AM

"What society deems normal changes, usually for the better in social terms"

All of those things were once considered normal, before society came to its senses.

And given that part of Tony's stated objection to homosexual marriage and homosexual raising of children is that he considers it "not normal", my examples are perfectly valid in that it is highly likely that, as with those examples, we will one day reach the point where both gay marriage in Ireland and the raising of children in same-sex households will also come to be seen as run of the mill.

So you'll be here next year arguing that a bisexual should be able to marry a man and a woman?

Quoteo posters against same sex marriage. No big deal really, both won't be able to vote on it anyways so their backward views their homophobic stance doesn't make a difference to how this will pan out.

The name calling and abuse associated with the yes side here is good indication of tenor of this campaign.

I think your missing the whole point with equality  ::)

deiseach

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2015, 01:32:14 AM
So you keep claiming. How about you back up this claim for once? In what way will marriage be devalued?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on February 07, 2015, 08:18:00 PM
Seanie, the problem with articulating the view that communism can have points in its favour, is that you can suddenly find yourself being endorsed by Pol Pot.

What an apt description of what happened.

I just would like to take this opportunity to disassociate myself from Pol Pot and his ilk. Frankly they're doing a great job for the side they oppose with their bigotry.

A few people asked me questions and I would like to answer (from memory) but I can't trawl trough all the pages in a limited time. Likewise I apologies if I'm going over something that has been discussed already. I suppose for an adoption if the choice came between a straight couple and a gay couple who scored roughly the same in whatever assessment method is used (ability to provide a good home) I think the straight couple should get preference. If this referendum is passed it will be illegal to do that. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe it's a small thing and will only happen is a small number of cases and maybe I should get over it but it does concern me.

Milltown Row2

All of those things were once considered normal, before society came to its senses.

And given that part of Tony's stated objection to homosexual marriage and homosexual raising of children is that he considers it "not normal", my examples are perfectly valid in that it is highly likely that, as with those examples, we will one day reach the point where both gay marriage in Ireland and the raising of children in same-sex households will also come to be seen as run of the mill.

So you'll be here next year arguing that a bisexual should be able to marry a man and a woman?

Quoteo posters against same sex marriage. No big deal really, both won't be able to vote on it anyways so their backward views their homophobic stance doesn't make a difference to how this will pan out.

The name calling and abuse associated with the yes side here is good indication of tenor of this campaign.

So you're not  homophobic and backward in your views on this? I fail to see where the abuse is, but carry on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2015, 12:08:26 PM

So you're not  homophobic and backward in your views on this? I fail to see where the abuse is, but carry on

Of course, given your well known commitment to exercising the democratic franchise, it is a truly cutting remark that some commenting on this thread will not be able to vote.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2015, 12:11:56 PM

Of course, given your well known commitment to exercising the democratic franchise, it is a truly cutting remark that some commenting on this thread will not be able to vote.

And that's what offended you? Seriously? I'm bored of this thread in fairness, it's the same stuff coming from the same people.

If it does not affect you why worry? There is a hell of a lot more shit to be worried about than same sex marriages and the rights they will be entitled to once it has been passed. I going out on a limb here but I reckon you'll still get paid (if in employment), water will still be produced, the sun will keep coming up and the world will still turn
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2015, 12:30:45 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2015, 12:11:56 PM

And that's what offended you? Seriously? I'm bored of this thread in fairness, it's the same stuff coming from the same people.

If it does not affect you why worry? There is a hell of a lot more shit to be worried about than same sex marriages and the rights they will be entitled to once it has been passed. I going out on a limb here but I reckon you'll still get paid (if in employment), water will still be produced, the sun will keep coming up and the world will still turn

Its the thin end of the wedge, next thing there'll be homosexual Priests, Bishops and even Popes!!

8)

armaghniac

Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2015, 12:55:03 PM
Its the thin end of the wedge, next thing there'll be homosexual Priests, Bishops and even Popes!!

The next Pope will be a Protestant lesbian.

Franko

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2015, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2015, 12:55:03 PM

The next Pope will be a Protestant lesbian.

A definite improvement on the paedophile-enabling previous incumbent.

J70

You forgot sheep, given that you're resorting to slippery slope arguments.

That aside, bisexuals not being allowed to marry a man AND a woman is hardly an equality issue given that NO ONE ELSE has the right to marry more than one person at a time. Bigamy and polygamy are illegal.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2015, 02:15:06 PM

That aside, bisexuals not being allowed to marry a man AND a woman is hardly an equality issue given that NO ONE ELSE has the right to marry more than one person at a time. Bigamy and polygamy are illegal.

But surely these people's human rights are being infringed by not being allowed marry in their preferred combination?

Billys Boots

I don't think that bisexuals necessarily want to have sex with/marry men and women simultaneously.  Just saying. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2015, 02:47:54 PM

But surely these people's human rights are being infringed by not being allowed marry in their preferred combination?

I'm sure some feel they should be entitled to pay for sex or take a shite in the street or drive 120 mph. Society has rules. Currently we don't allow people to marry more than one person.  If someone feels strongly that that is a denial of human rights, let them make the argument.  It has nothing to do with gay people wanting what straight people are already entitled to. It is not an equality issue if the same rules apply to all.

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2015, 03:08:49 PM

I'm sure some feel they should be entitled to pay for sex or take a shite in the street or drive 120 mph. Society has rules. Currently we don't allow people to marry more than one person.  If someone feels strongly that that is a denial of human rights, let them make the argument.  It has nothing to do with gay people wanting what straight people are already entitled to. It is not an equality issue if the same rules apply to all.
Gay men can marry women, just like straight men can. Gay women can marry men too.  ;)

johnneycool

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 10, 2015, 03:27:07 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2015, 03:08:49 PM

Gay men can marry women, just like straight men can. Gay women can marry men too.  ;)

Gay men can also join the priesthood, gay women can't, go figure.